Author Topic: Marathon Tips?  (Read 186102 times)

vansmack

Re: Marathon Tips?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »
I understand all of that.

But I still didn't need, and certainly wasn't prepared, to know that God's Shoeshine shits within 20 minutes of waking up.
27>34

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »
I can crap within 2 minutes of waking up.

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  i crap within 20 minutes of waking up

dfmcpete

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »
I hope you sleep near a toilet.

Mobius

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  I can crap within 2 minutes of waking up.

I usually crap 2 minutes before waking up.

Regarding eating before a morning run - an energy bar is good (I like the MoJo), or a bagel

MaLo

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »
if there's one thing runners can talk about at length, its poop

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 02:48:00 pm »
I dedicate this one to Vansmack.

I pulled a Greta Weitz one year at the NYC Marathon. Thank god for portajohns. A couple of Kenyans ended up passing me, but I did alright.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »
i was just answering a question

i thought people loved poop talk on the internet, though
o/\o

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »
Marathon Tips?

Is that anything like Rib Tips?  You See That Sign That Says Rib Tips? I wonder if these guys know the Commodores?

matts

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »
Another practicality - you will be training in some hot ass weather.  Run early, especially for your long weekend runs.  A 14 mile run could take about 2 1/2 hours.  Be on the trail by 7am to ensure that you are done before the brutal heat starts (which means you wake up at 6am to eat, which means you didn't go drinking the night before...).

Also, dont forget your nipple protection!  I used vaseline - it was ok, not great.  In fact, I still have a running shirt with permanent grease stains at chest level.  Chafed nipples are funny, but not if they're your's.

redsock

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »
Some advice from the I ran a marathon despite not being a marathon runner and sort of kinda hating to run camp:

-band-aid up those nipples and be sure to Vaseline the family jewels.

-Don't be afraid to walk for a minute now and again, it will save you some energy towards the end

-Whatever anybody else says, if you can run 20 miles, you can run 26.2.

-The mind is your most important tool. At one point during the marathon you will feel awful, but if you can rationalize that it will not get any worse than that moment, and that all you have to do is live with the pain and misery for a few more miles, it will do wonders for your spirit, and you'll actually pick up your pace.

-I am living proof that you can actually will yourself through a marathon, and if i can do that, you'll be a rock star.

-Not everyone is a "group" or partner runner. I personally hate having to tell people "you're doing great Bill, keep it up." And don't me started on them trying to pump me up. Please, i'd rather just focus on something else and pretend i'm not running.

-That last mile or so may end up being one the best times of your life, so enjoy it.

ggw

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »
Don't forget to sleep in a hyperbaric chamber at least five nights a week.

PigIron

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by matts:
  Another practicality - you will be training in some hot ass weather.  Run early, especially for your long weekend runs.  A 14 mile run could take about 2 1/2 hours.  Be on the trail by 7am to ensure that you are done before the brutal heat starts (which means you wake up at 6am to eat, which means you didn't go drinking the night before...).

Also, dont forget your nipple protection!  I used vaseline - it was ok, not great.  In fact, I still have a running shirt with permanent grease stains at chest level.  Chafed nipples are funny, but not if they're your's.
A great point.  You can buy Bodyglide for that at most running stores.  Also, be wary of the chafed taint as well.  There is absolutely nothing remotely funny about a taint and lower buttocks region rubbed raw from running long distances in the heat.  Try smearing in massive amounts vasoline, Bodyglide or (some say) deodorant across the taint, lower buttocks region, and if you are carrying a belt for water, the hips and waist region.  Also, this method keeps the feet from blistering as well.  Good luck!

nkotb

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »
Huh...looks like I already more prepared than I thought  :eek:  

Originally posted by redsock:
 be sure to Vaseline the family jewels

Celeste

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »
a race-day tip came to mind...this is just something that worked for me, not sure what others think...but it's kind of a mental thing that goes into the physical...

it has to do with pacing...I would ask myself at any point throughout the race, could I continue at this pace indefinitely? if I felt like I could, it gave me a lot of peace and confidence knowing I was going at a reasonable enough pace to continue forever if I had to...

it's always cool to run the second half faster than the first and be able to finish strong because you were smart about pacing

nkotb

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2007, 09:49:00 am »
So in case anyone cares, figured I'd give a quick update on my progress.

I just finished the half-way point in training, which is a nice landmark.  Too bad the worst is yet to come.  This weekend is a 16 mile run, and I'm up to 32 miles this week.

So far, even the long distances have been manageable.  The only ones that have killed me have been weather related; both a 12 miler and a 15 miler (last weekend) were just too hot and it wound up killing me.

I think I've finally found what works for me, because normally I've been cruising.  Mile time is down form what I expected, which is a nice treat.

One question, though: what do you do about leg pain while running?  Certain people have mentioned popping aspirin (or more intense pain killers), but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.  So far, it hasn't gotten bad, but if there is anything I can do to hold off the pain, I'd appreciate knowing it.

Oh, and I found out last week why nipple covers are important.  Ouch.