Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2547565 times)

Jaguär

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2005, 08:02:00 pm »

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2005, 01:16:00 am »
Even more flies: Hunter S. Thompson shot himself:
 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40737-2005Feb20.html

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2005, 04:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by palahniukkubrick:
wow.

that's the first one in a while that really hit me ... i read his column on espn.com all the time, love his books ... fucking sucks ...
(o|o)

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2005, 04:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

Originally posted by palahniukkubrick:
wow.

that's the first one in a while that really hit me ... i read his column on espn.com all the time, love his books ... fucking sucks ... [/b]
if you like his column you'll probably love his article on bush vs. kerry in last year's  rolling stone

ggw

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 06:13:00 pm »
Former punter Reggie Roby, a 16-year NFL veteran and three-time Pro Bowl selection, died Tuesday after being found unconscious at home by his wife. He was 43.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3412576

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2005, 06:16:00 pm »
First Creed, now Blink.  Hallelujah !!!

From Billboard 2/22/05:

Blink-182 Going On Indefinite Hiatus

Confirming recent speculation that something was amiss in the Blink-182 camp, the band today announced it was going on an indefinite hiatus "to spend some time enjoying the fruits of their labors with loved ones." In a statement, the trio added, "While there is no set plan for the band to begin working together again, no one knows what tomorrow may bring."

Rumors that the band had split began circulating after Friday's all-star tsunami benefit concert in Anaheim, Calif. Blink was scheduled to play but pulled out of at the last minute due to "unexpected circumstances."

Fuel was added to the flames when Dave Navarro, who performed at the benefit with his cover band Camp Freddy, posted on his blog that Blink didn't perform because they had broken up. He later clarified his posting, saying, "I shouldn't repeat things that aren't confirmed and I apologize to the band and their fans. Honestly, it was a mistake."

Blink's four studio albums and one live set have sold a combined 10.7 million copies in the United States to date, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The group has posted 10 top 10 hits on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart, including the No. 1s "All the Small Things" and "I Miss You."

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

vansmack

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 06:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by chancegardener:
  Blink-182 Going On Indefinite Hiatus
I think the drummer guy is having a reality show on MTV (ala Jessica Simpson and Dave Navarro) and it's causing problems for the rest of the band.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2005, 06:59:00 pm »
I'm shocked you Apple guys didn't post this.  He's credited with the great steal from Xerox, but he did so much more with it than Xerox ever did.  A brilliant, outside the box thinker:

Macintosh creator Raskin dies at 61
 Apple employee 31 conceived easy to use machine

The Associated Press
 Updated: 6:54 a.m. ET Feb. 28, 2005

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Jef Raskin, a computer interface expert who conceived Apple Computer Inc.'s groundbreaking Macintosh computer but left the company before it came to market, has died.  He was 61.

Raskin died Saturday night at his home in Pacifica, Calif., his family said in a statement.  In December, he told friends he had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Raskin joined Apple in 1978 â?? as its 31st employee â?? to start the young company's publications department.  At the time, computers were primarily text-based and users had to remember a series of arcane commands to perform the simplest tasks.

In 1979, Raskin had a different idea: A computer that's priced affordably, targeted at consumers and extremely easy to use.  A small team, under his command, was put together at Apple to pursue his concept that would eventually become the Macintosh.  "His role on the Macintosh was the initiator of the project, so it wouldn't be here if it weren't for him," said Andy Hertzfeld, an early Mac team member.

Raskin, who worked as a computer science professor before joining Apple, was well aware of the research being done in computer interfaces at Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center.  He worked to bring it to the attention of Apple executives.  "Jef was incredibly enthusiastic about what he saw at Xerox PARC," said Dave Burstein, who is working on a film about Raskin's life.

Raskin also named the Macintosh after his favorite apple, though the name was slightly changed because of a trademark issue with another company.

Raskin led the project until the summer of 1981, when he had a falling out with Steve Jobs, Apple's co-founder.  He left the company entirely the following year.  "One of the biggest things I give Jef credit for was putting together the very beginnings of the Mac team with some extraordinary people who didn't necessarily have the credentials, but had everything else to do something great," Hertzfeld said Sunday.

When the Mac was unveiled in 1984, it radically changed the personal computer industry.  No longer were users forced to type commands.  Instead, its interface mimicked a physical desktop with folders and filing cabinets.  Documents could be dragged from one area to another.

The final Mac, however, was priced at an unaffordable $2,495 when it first appeared on the market and sales were disappointing after the first few months.  But the concepts behind the Mac interface quickly found their way into other software, including Microsoft Corp.'s Windows.

After leaving Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple, Raskin founded another computer company, Information Appliance, and designed another computer that incorporated his ideas.  He also wrote a book, "The Humane Interface," which was published in 2000.

Raskin continued to work on software that incorporates his ideas on interfaces.  The first release is scheduled to take place in the next few months, Burstein said.

While best known in the computer industry, Raskin also pursued other interests.  He conducted the San Francisco Chamber Opera Society and played three instruments.  His artwork was displayed at New York's Museum of Modern Art. He also received a patent for airplane wing construction.

He was an accomplished archer, target shooter and occasional race car driver, friends said.  "He believed in having fun, too," Burstein said.  "The people who worked with him at Apple talk about how important were the toys and the games and the sense of joy that he demanded."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7044932/
27>34

Jaguär

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2005, 08:43:00 pm »
For some reason, I thought that this guy died several years ago. Must of just retired.

Chuck Thompson

It happened almost right around the corner from me.

hitman

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2005, 01:23:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  For some reason, I thought that this guy died several years ago. Must of just retired.

Chuck Thompson

It happened almost right around the corner from me.
He had to stop announcing in 2000 because of macular degeneration in his eyes.  He couldn't see the events on the field anymore, and couldn't read copy.  It was a real shock.  He was supposed to be a guest at a Baltimore Colts benefit I attended yesterday, and he was rushed to the hospital early in the morning.  Already by 11am when the benefit started, people knew that he had a heart attack and stroke, and that he was on life support.  Bad news travels fast.  

It's a shame.  He was a good man, and a great asset to sports and Baltimore.

ggw

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2005, 11:38:00 am »
Joe Carter, Guitarist in Country Family, Dies at 78

MACES SPRINGS, Va. (AP) - Joe Carter, a member of the famous Carter Family of country music, died on Wednesday at his home here. He was 78.

The cause was cancer, his family announced.

Mr. Carter, who played guitar and sang bass, was a cornerstone of the preservation of old-time mountain music and helped build the Carter Family Fold in Hiltons, Va., which presented shows of country and bluegrass music every weekend.

Mr. Carter was 5 months old when he traveled with his parents, A.P. and Sara Carter, from Maces Springs to Bristol in 1927 for a recording session that has been called "the big bang of country music." It started the careers of A.P., Sara and her cousin Maybelle Carter as the Carter Family trio.

Joe Carter, who performed at the Carter Family Fold, was the last direct connection to anyone who was at that original session, his friend Tim White said Thursday.

Marty Stuart, Tom T. Hall and John Carter Cash, son of Johnny and June Carter Cash, are listed among the pallbearers for Mr. Carter's funeral tomorrow. June Carter Cash was Maybelle Carter's daughter.

Joe Carter is survived by three daughters and seven grandchildren.

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2005, 10:01:00 am »
Country singer Chris LeDoux dead at 56

CHEYENNE, Wyoming (AP) -- Chris LeDoux, a former world champion bareback rider who parlayed songs about the rodeo life into a successful country music career, died Wednesday from complications of liver cancer. He was 56.

LeDoux checked into the hospital this week, according to Judy McDonough, spokeswoman for Capitol Nashville, his recording company.

LeDoux described his music as a combination of "Western soul, sagebrush blues, cowboy folk and rodeo rock 'n' roll."

By 1989, he had released 22 albums. They were mostly cassettes produced by his parents, which he sold at concerts and rodeos, sometimes out of the back of a pickup truck. He had a loyal, if limited, fan base.

But LeDoux soon became a country star, teaming with Garth Brooks for the Grammy-nominated, top 10 hit "Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy" in 1992.

Brooks has long cited LeDoux as one of his biggest influences.

He recorded songs about cowboys, the ups and downs of rodeo life and his adopted home of Wyoming. In 1976, he became the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association's world bareback champion.

In 2003, he released his 36th album, "Horsepower," and celebrated career sales of more than 5 million albums.

Among his other songs were "Hooked On An 8 Second Ride," "Copenhagen," "This Cowboy's Hat," "Even Cowboys Like a Little Rock and Roll," "Riding for a Fall" and "Honky Tonk World."

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2005, 10:39:00 am »
Danny Joe Brown, the lead singer of the Southern rock band Molly Hatchet, died of complications from diabetes, his family said Monday. He was 53.

Story here.

Full disclosure:  I actually own a Molly Hatchet album.  And it's not even "Flirtin' With Disaster".

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2005, 10:52:00 am »
Barebacking is certainly not without its risks.

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  Country singer Chris LeDoux dead at 56

CHEYENNE, Wyoming (AP) -- Chris LeDoux, a former world champion bareback rider who parlayed songs about the rodeo life into a successful country music career, died Wednesday from complications of liver cancer. He was 56.

LeDoux checked into the hospital this week, according to Judy McDonough, spokeswoman for Capitol Nashville, his recording company.

LeDoux described his music as a combination of "Western soul, sagebrush blues, cowboy folk and rodeo rock 'n' roll."

By 1989, he had released 22 albums. They were mostly cassettes produced by his parents, which he sold at concerts and rodeos, sometimes out of the back of a pickup truck. He had a loyal, if limited, fan base.

But LeDoux soon became a country star, teaming with Garth Brooks for the Grammy-nominated, top 10 hit "Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy" in 1992.

Brooks has long cited LeDoux as one of his biggest influences.

He recorded songs about cowboys, the ups and downs of rodeo life and his adopted home of Wyoming. In 1976, he became the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association's world bareback champion.

In 2003, he released his 36th album, "Horsepower," and celebrated career sales of more than 5 million albums.

Among his other songs were "Hooked On An 8 Second Ride," "Copenhagen," "This Cowboy's Hat," "Even Cowboys Like a Little Rock and Roll," "Riding for a Fall" and "Honky Tonk World."

Jaguär

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2005, 12:41:00 am »
Got this info from The Lovetones.

"this is sad news..i had the great fortune of having one of my colorsound songs remixed by the silver apples..you can find it on the silver apples remix album here..
 www.artist-shop.com/3rdstone/
 he will be missed

Dear All,

Simeon from Silver Apples emailed to give the sad news that Danny Taylor, Silver Apple's original drummer passed away last Thursday night (10th March) in Newyork.
 Danny had been rushed to hospital that night but could not be revived.
 There are no further details at present.

Danny has a son, who until only a few years ago never knew his father's amazing past and his contribution as one half of the ledgendary Newyork duo who were pioneers of a destinct and original electronic and experimental sound that even today is still revered by fans from all over the world.

If anyone would like to send condolences, please email them to me and I will forward them on accordingly.

Please forward this news onto whomever you think would like to be informed.

Many Thanks

Jack"