Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2549443 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #1050 on: November 17, 2009, 12:11:45 pm »
Edward Woodward star of The Equalizer, Breaker Morant and The Wicker Man

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/16/AR2009111602636.html
T.Rex

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #1051 on: November 17, 2009, 03:59:46 pm »
The Washington Blade, walkonby's source of all news.
See, that's like really unfair, man. His homosexuality isn't what defines walkonby, it's his crazy conspiracy theory beliefs. Weekly World News is where he gets his 411.

walkonby

« Reply #1052 on: November 17, 2009, 06:17:41 pm »
See, that's like really unfair, man. His homosexuality isn't what defines walkonby, it's his crazy conspiracy theory beliefs. Weekly World News is where he gets his 411.

actually . . . i like the christian science moniter.  it's where i get all my inside fashion gospel gossip.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1053 on: November 17, 2009, 08:05:15 pm »

actually . . . i like the christian science moniter.  it's where i get all my inside fashion gospel gossip.

Are you a Catholic priest?

wml7

« Reply #1054 on: November 17, 2009, 08:48:24 pm »
he's a cat preacher  ;D

shemptiness

« Reply #1055 on: November 17, 2009, 09:04:26 pm »

walkonby

« Reply #1056 on: November 17, 2009, 11:59:55 pm »

ggw

« Reply #1057 on: November 19, 2009, 06:17:54 pm »
November 20, 2009
Jeanne-Claude, Collaborator With Christo, Dies at 74
By WILLIAM GRIMES

Jeanne-Claude, who collaborated with her husband, Christo, on dozens of environmental arts projects, notably the wrapping of the Pont Neuf in Paris and the Reichstag in Berlin and the installation of 7,503 vinyl gates with saffron-colored nylon panels in Central Park, died Wednesday in Manhattan, where she lived. She was 74.

The cause was complications of a brain aneurysm, her family told The Associated Press.

Jeanne-Claude met her husband, Christo Javacheff, in Paris in 1958. At the time, Christo, a Bulgarian refugee, was already wrapping small objects. Three years later, they collaborated on their first work, a temporary installation on the docks in Cologne, Germany, that consisted of oil drums and rolls of industrial paper wrapped in tarpaulin.

To avoid confusing dealers and the public, and to establish an artistic brand, they used only Christo?s name. In 1994 they retroactively applied the joint name ?Christo and Jeanne-Claude? to all outdoor works and large-scale temporary indoor installations. Other indoor work was credited to Christo alone.

Their working methods, as described on their Web site, remained constant throughout the years. After jointly conceiving of a project, Christo made drawings, scale models and other preparatory works whose sale financed the project. Working with paid assistants, they did the on-site work: wrapping buildings, trees, walls or bridges; erecting umbrellas (?The Umbrellas,? 1991); spreading pink fabric around islands in Biscayne Bay near Miami (?Surrounded Islands,? 1983).

?We want to create works of art of joy and beauty, which we will build because we believe it will be beautiful,? Jeanne-Claude said in a 2002 interview. ?The only way to see it is to build it. Like every artist, every true artist, we create them for us.?

Jeanne-Claude Denat de Guillebon was born on June 13, 1935, in Casablanca, where her father, an officer in the French military, was stationed. After attending schools in France and Switzerland, she earned a baccalaureate in Latin and philosophy in 1952 from the University of Tunis.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by their son, Cyril Christo.

After working with stacked oil barrels, Jeanne-Claude and Christo moved to New York in 1964 and embarked on ever more daring projects, grander in scale and more theatrical in conception. Seemingly, there was nothing too large to be wrapped. In the late 1960s, they wrapped the Kunsthalle in Bern, one of many buildings to come. At the Documenta exhibition in Kassel, Germany, in 1968, they erected, with the assistance of two giant cranes, an inflated cylindrical fabric ?package,? in appearance a bit like a stretched-out Michelin Man, that stood nearly 280 feet tall.

The collaborations became communal events, during construction and after. Enormous numbers of viewers were attracted to ?The Umbrellas,? installed simultaneously in Ibaraki, Japan, and at the Tejon Ranch in Southern California in 1991. ?The Gates,? a series of flapping bannerlike panels installed in Central Park in 2005, also attracted big crowds during the two weeks that the work lasted, with each visitor handed a small sample of the saffron fabric.

Before Jeanne-Claude?s death, she and Christo were at work on two projects: ?Over the River,? a series of fabric panels to be suspended over the Arkansas River in Colorado, and ?The Mastaba,? a stack of 410,000 oil barrels configured as a mastaba, or truncated rectangular pyramid, envisioned for the United Arab Emirates.

Like all of their projects, these were intended to be temporary, a quality at the heart of the artistic enterprise. Whether executed in oil drum or brightly colored fabric, the art of her and her husband, Jeanne-Claude said, expressed ? the quality of love and tenderness that we human beings have for what does not last.?

walkonby

« Reply #1058 on: November 20, 2009, 06:43:12 pm »
poor julian and his silver spoons.  "what you talking about willis?"  i enjoied the thread while it lasted, though i knew it would not last long.  it made me . . . cum diamonds and pearls as i set  forth eyes to read it.  boo hiss to those meany moderators.

vansmack

« Reply #1059 on: November 20, 2009, 07:55:25 pm »
poor julian and his silver spoons.  "what you talking about willis?"  i enjoied the thread while it lasted, though i knew it would not last long.  it made me . . . cum diamonds and pearls as i set  forth eyes to read it.  boo hiss to those meany moderators.

So what you're saying here is that if Jule's gets his own blog he'll at least have an audience of one?
27>34

brennser

« Reply #1060 on: November 24, 2009, 06:22:36 pm »
Abe Pollin RIP

Relaxer

« Reply #1061 on: December 05, 2009, 07:12:53 pm »
Jack Rose
oword

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1062 on: December 05, 2009, 07:55:30 pm »
Any details? I just saw it on twitter.

Update: He died of a heart attack.

Jack Rose
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:12:19 am by Hello Sunshine M! »
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #1063 on: December 06, 2009, 03:06:25 am »
Terrible. :(

Anyone who's seen him live knows how much of a privilege/pleasure it always was.
احمد

snailhook

« Reply #1064 on: December 06, 2009, 06:10:43 am »
jack's death has hit me like a ton of bricks. nathan from the black twigs called me early this afternoon and i've been in shock since.

jack played one of the very first shows i ever booked, and played my house 6 times, once for my birthday in 2005. i probably booked jack more than anybody else, as i thought him to be the best acoustic guitarist on earth. he was a cranky bastard, very opinionated, but he had a warm heart and was a good friend. i saw him two weeks ago when he came out to see chris forsyth, and he was happier than i'd ever seen him, gloating about the successful UK tour he just had with the twigs. he was making a living off of his music (which he never compromised), which is something most of us will never be able to say.

he was only 38. cause of death was apparently a massive heart attack, though i wouldn't be surprised if he had something that he was unaware of. 38 is much too young.

RIP, jack. you certainly touched my soul and affected many others. thanks for making me laugh and for talking about the brilliance of chrome and robbie basho and why most indie-rock is totally boring bullshit. you will be missed.