Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2550031 times)

shemptiness

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #5280 on: May 18, 2017, 05:18:15 pm »
Roger Ailes
I know this is in 'chachi style' bad taste to talk negatively of the recently dead
but I am glad that all the allegations and his abrupt firing happened before this...as people would have been like "you can't talk ill of the dead..." even though he was a terrible human being
I am sure the the allegations and firing did contribute to his early demise

Edit...he resigned...papa bear was fired

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/taibbi-roger-ailes-was-one-of-the-worst-americans-ever-w483013

hutch

« Reply #5281 on: May 18, 2017, 05:30:49 pm »
fuck roger ailes..but  i'm honestly sad he died.. i wanted him to live another 10 years in shame.. he basically kind of only had a few months where he probably was forced to keep a low profile... scumbag

shemptiness

« Reply #5282 on: May 18, 2017, 06:47:44 pm »
Just chose Soundgarden on Pandora.  1st song - 'Pretty Noose'.  Shit. 

And then there's 'Blow Up the Outside World'

Someone tried to tell me something
Don't let the world bring you down
Nothing will do me in before I do myself
So save it for your own and the ones you can help
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:17:17 pm by shemptiness »

Yada

« Reply #5284 on: May 19, 2017, 08:51:32 am »

Space Freely

« Reply #5285 on: May 19, 2017, 09:08:17 am »
To be honest, I was never a huge Soundgarden fan. I only saw them live once, but amazingly I found a review online of that show.

http://buffalonews.com/2013/12/25/tuned-in-2/

The year was 1986. The venue, the QE2, located in downtown Albany. Home for the summer from Fredonia State College, I joined a few friends and my girlfriend at the time to head for the now-closed alternative music haunt ? QE2 was the Albany equivalent of Buffalo?s much-missed Continental ? to catch a buzzed-about heavy rock/funk hybrid from New York City known as Living Colour.

The place was packed, and we were unaware that an opener was on the bill that evening. So it was with a significant degree of shock that I encountered Seattle?s Soundgarden for the first time. Singer Chris Cornell arrived shirtless, and did these guys ever raise a ruckus. The paint appeared to be peeling off the walls as the band played a bunch of what I later learned was the ?Screaming Life EP,? as well as a few tunes from what would be released as ?Louder Than Love.? I recall Cornell jumping up on the QE2 bar, and screaming holy murder from a vantage point a mere few feet in front of me and my group of friends. It was pretty incredible. Soundgarden ended up being one of my favorite bands of the following decade. There?s a photo somewhere of me leaving the QE2 that night with my eyes wide, an emerging scream obfuscated by the Soundgarden sticker my friend Trevor had affixed to my mouth. Good times.

Times made even better, in fact, by the headliner. Living Colour was one of the more interesting bands of the later ?80s. There weren?t a whole lot of legitimately gritty, aggressive funk bands around at the time. Living Colour took a bit from Bad Brains, a bit from Ornette Coleman, a bit from classic heavy metal, and a lot from Defunkt, the band that founder Vernon Reid was a member of for a short time.

Soundgarden would go on to claim the ?grunge? mantle, and then to move into a heavy progressive psychedelia that, happily, brought the band surprising commercial popularity despite its density. Living Colour would have significant success with the debut effort ?Vivid,? but would fold back into cult-level status almost immediately thereafter, releasing a stream of funk-metal masterpieces that continues to this day but enjoying little of the commercial spotlight.

Note: This writer wrote another article about this show, saying it happened in 1989. I'm not sure which is right, I'm actually going to guess 1988.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:17:09 am by Space Freely »

hutch

« Reply #5286 on: May 19, 2017, 09:15:12 am »
always amazed at how early soundgarden got started.. they were on a major label by 1989!

never a huge soundgarden fan either but that voice! it made me listen.

herman otto

« Reply #5287 on: May 19, 2017, 10:18:46 am »
Toby Keith's career?  Even his most die-hard, America first, you'll rip my Confederate flag out of my dead cold hand as I shoot you, fans . . . are turning on him.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #5288 on: May 23, 2017, 11:10:39 am »
Roger Moore
😐 🎶

ggw

« Reply #5289 on: May 23, 2017, 04:00:57 pm »
Cortez Kennedy

vansmack

« Reply #5290 on: May 24, 2017, 01:51:23 am »
Lisa Spoonauer

27>34

bearman🐻

« Reply #5291 on: May 24, 2017, 09:18:35 am »
Lisa Spoonauer

Not sure why, but this made me really, really sad. It's not like I knew anything about her, and didn't even know her name...I just knew her as Caitlyn from Clerks. But I did (and still do) love that movie and her character was awesome. I still laugh so hard at that movie. "...well I didn't just fuck myself!"

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #5292 on: May 26, 2017, 11:24:49 pm »
😐 🎶

ggw

« Reply #5293 on: May 27, 2017, 07:32:42 am »

shemptiness

« Reply #5294 on: May 27, 2017, 03:22:09 pm »
Jim Bunning