Author Topic: ZEITGEIST - Let the debate begin?  (Read 6918 times)

danknugz

Re: ZEITGEIST - Let the debate begin?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 11:18:00 pm »
its an okay album. its no siamese dream, but its a big improvement over both Machina albums and b0lly's other "projects."

andyrichter

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 01:31:00 am »
eh....that's basically been my reaction to every single song i've heard so far.  i'm coming up on the much hyped "united states" so we'll see how this goes but so far, kinda bland.  and for some reason, corgan's vocals on this seem way more nasally and hence way more annoying than ever.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 09:48:00 am »
If I get 2 tickets and you need one, I'll sell you one...  :)  

Originally posted by sweetcell:

Originally posted by wanderlust featuring j. marshmallow:
  Quite forgettable on first listen.
agreed.  does that mean you won't want to subject any of your friends to the show, and will be giving me your +1 should you score tickets?!?  thanks buddy! [/b]
(_|_)

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 11:14:00 am »
I'm still wondering why "Tarantula" was the first single released considering how old this track is. This was an outtake from "Gish" and originally recorded in 1989.  Kind of a tease that he's using old Pumpkins tracks to spark a new album. I hope he pulls out other ones such as "Jennifer Ever," and my two favorite tracks "On My Own" and "Nothing and Everything"

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Darth Ed

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 11:39:00 am »
Originally posted by andyrichter:
  eh....that's basically been my reaction to every single song i've heard so far.  i'm coming up on the much hyped "united states" so we'll see how this goes but so far, kinda bland.  and for some reason, corgan's vocals on this seem way more nasally and hence way more annoying than ever.
Well, I never listened to Smashing Pumpkins for the vocals, though I've always appreciated a certain raw, visceral quality to Corgan's singing. If I want nice vocals, I'll listen to Neko Case or Jenny Lewis.

I think the album rocks! It's not the best Pumpkins album, by any means, but it is a nice return to form. It's quite clear to me from listening to it that Corgan has desperately been missing Chamberlin's drums since every song focuses more on the drumming and beats than any of the latter Pumpkins albums.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 11:43:00 am »
i'm actually all right with it so far. i'm about halfway through the album and am pleased. huge improvement over machina and really looking forward to seeing them (hopefully) at the club.
nothx

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 12:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by MindCage:
  I'm still wondering why "Tarantula" was the first single released considering how old this track is. This was an outtake from "Gish" and originally recorded in 1989.  Kind of a tease that he's using old Pumpkins tracks to spark a new album. I hope he pulls out other ones such as "Jennifer Ever," and my two favorite tracks "On My Own" and "Nothing and Everything"

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
I think you're confusing Tarantula for Translucent which has recently been played in concert. Tarantula is in no way a demo from the late 1980's unless you know something - and have tapes - that the rest of the SP world does not.

bnyced0

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 01:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:

Originally posted by andyrichter:
Well, I never listened to Smashing Pumpkins for the vocals, though I've always appreciated a certain raw, visceral quality to Corgan's singing. If I want nice vocals, I'll listen to Neko Case or Jenny Lewis.

I think the album rocks! It's not the best Pumpkins album, by any means, but it is a nice return to form. It's quite clear to me from listening to it that Corgan has desperately been missing Chamberlin's drums since every song focuses more on the drumming and beats than any of the latter Pumpkins albums. [/b]
I don't think he missed Jimmy's drums too much considering he has recorded two other albums with him on drums since the Pumpkins disbanded in 2000, but your point about being stronger than Machina I & II is well taken because he wasn't on Adore though I think that liberated the sound a little and was a wonderful effort, and the two drummer attack on that tour was fine.