Author Topic: bands better on drugs... bands better clean...  (Read 8608 times)

Relaxer

Re: bands better on drugs... bands better clean...
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2007, 10:05:00 am »
DLR-era Van Halen was a shit-hot live act early on, and while they certainly weren't sober then, they weren't as heavy into the booze and blow as they were around Diver Down and 1984. And those '84 shows were a pale imitation to the years prior.
oword

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2007, 10:15:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  DLR-era Van Halen was a shit-hot live act early on, and while they certainly weren't sober then, they weren't as heavy into the booze and blow as they were around Diver Down and 1984. And those '84 shows were a pale imitation to the years prior.
Agreed.  Exhibit #1?  Their set at the 1983 US Festival.

Brian

bearman🐻

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »
How about the Replacements? Better drunk or sober? I guess that's the ultimate toss-up.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  How about the Replacements? Better drunk or sober? I guess that's the ultimate toss-up.
I think the Replacements were like the Faces.  Better drunk.  Not even "better."  They didn't EXIST unless they were drunk.

Brian

Relaxer

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 02:36:00 pm »
For the Replacements, the verdict on their records is a no-brainer. With Bob Stinson, they made several absolute classics that will still be listened to 50 years after their release. With Slim Dunlop, they made Westerburg solo albums.

On stage, the Bob-era band could be brilliant or they could be absolute shit. The Slim-era band was much more professional and "clean", but also not nearly as exciting. When I want to hear some live Mats, it's always the '83 Lingerie Club show or the Shit Shower Shave boot. I never listen to my Slim boots.
oword