Author Topic: Fantasy Baseball  (Read 49436 times)

Celeste

Re: Fantasy Baseball
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 01:06:00 pm »
I always "fantasized" about a live-action Board softball game...that might be fun...

Guiny

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2005, 01:08:00 pm »
This will be my 10th year in the Maine league I play in. We play don't play the rotisarie style that suggested at the beginning of this thread. It's more of a point system. We keep six players from year to year, this year I kept Todd Helton, Mike Lowell, Adrian Beltre, Bartolo Colon, Roger Clemens and Danny Kolb. The saddest thing was waiving Larry Walker who I've had the past nine years. I'm hoping to get him back in the draft. As for Oliver Perez, he was protected in our league.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:
  I always "fantasized" about a live-action Board softball game...that might be fun...
I've often fantasized about Celeste, but it had nothing to do with soft balls!  :D

Celeste

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2005, 01:14:00 pm »
oh dear!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2005, 02:47:00 pm »
aiight, let's do this ....

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/register/joinprivateleague
 league id:  # 78680
 password:  keaneissocool

basically my philosophy with running a fantasy league is:

a) get the best representation as possible of a player's value, if the stat category is old and outdated, don't use it.

b) don't have a team full of superstars, that's just boring, you should have to troll the waiver wires for people like cesar izturis and see who's getting called in up in the fall

that said, i made it a total of 14 teams, with a bunch of players on each team, so the talent is diluted ...

i threw a bunch of stat categories in there, and most of them can be up for debate ... but i really like having holds (gives set-up men real value), OBP, and SLG.

we'll definitely have a live draft, i'll have to change that option when we get the league filled up and we decide on a date/time.

let me know if you have any questions/suggestions
(o|o)

eltee

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2005, 04:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
 i need a little diversity in my day, which is why
What happened to "Mr. HoyaSax Goes to Washington" (LSATs)? Sorry, I'm out, I'm concentrating on spring training.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2005, 04:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Tee:

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
 i need a little diversity in my day, which is why
What happened to "Mr. HoyaSax Goes to Washington" (LSATs)? Sorry, I'm out, I'm concentrating on spring training. [/b]
huh? not understanding you there ...

law school in the fall, dunno where yet
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 11:29:00 am »
::bump::
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 03:04:00 pm »
we have five teams signed up right now, need 3-9 more to call it a league ... get off your asses and sign up!!

by the way, if you have signed up, post your team name on here so we know who you are (i'm "The Chosen Team")
(o|o)

BookerT

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 04:01:00 pm »
i signed up a few days ago but backed out once i saw how many categories there were. doubles as a category? huh? there's no reason for there to be more than 6 hitting and 6 pitching categories, dontcha think?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 05:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  i signed up a few days ago but backed out once i saw how many categories there were. doubles as a category? huh? there's no reason for there to be more than 6 hitting and 6 pitching categories, dontcha think?
like i said here and on the message board, i was just screwing around with the stat cat's and we can change them if there's popular demand ... i'm no autocrat!

but that said, i think doubles and triples could be really interesting categories ... i'm just looking for categories that best sum up a player's value ... which is why i included holds for set-up men ... it shouldn't drastically change the way you draft players, you just might want to look at juan pierre or carl crawford a bit differently with triples included ...

if people want to cut it down though, i'd have no objections to just going to:

OBP / SLG / R / HR / RBI / SB
  and
 W / SV / K / HLD / ERA / WHIP
(o|o)

freddyadu

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2005, 06:19:00 pm »
5 x 5 at the most...in my opinion.

freddy adu = wooly monkeys

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2005, 06:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by freddyadu:
  5 x 5 at the most...in my opinion.

freddy adu = wooly monkeys
what do you think about the 6 x 6 format i spelled out above?  

to cut one out of batting, we could combine OBP + SLG to OPS, or we could cut SBs ... being a billy beane / moneyball fan, i think SBs are a generally BS stat, and i'd much rather cut that than combine OBP and SLG

i really want to keep Holds, so I'm not sure what else I would take out of the pitching cat's ... and you can't really have 6 pitching cat's and 5 batting cat's, it overvalues pitchers ...

thoughts?
(o|o)

Fico

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2005, 06:29:00 pm »
Fico = Licey Tigers

freddyadu

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2005, 06:32:00 pm »
where's .avg?