Author Topic: Fantasy Baseball  (Read 49417 times)

freddyadu

Re: Fantasy Baseball
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2005, 06:34:00 pm »
i am a traditionalist...i have been playing 4 x 4 for 9 years, but i played one league of 5 x 5 two years ago.  i don't like OBP and SLG because you can't find them in the box score.  SBs and AVG you can...

just my two cents.

Guiny

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2005, 06:35:00 pm »
Personally, I would get rid of OBP and SLG and put AVG. You have to keep SB's for the Juane Pierre/Carl Crawford guys. I would also take out Holds and just make it a 5X5 league. Like I said, just my opinion, I'm more of a fantasy baseball player and not a Roto players.....Sorry.

PigIron

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2005, 10:27:00 pm »
This isn't my kind of league, no doubt.  Way too many categories.  And no draft?  I like the game enough though to play by pretty much any rules.  If there is going to be a 9:30 League, I'm in.  And oh yea...Go Pantywaists!

keithstg

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2005, 08:44:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

Originally posted by freddyadu:
  5 x 5 at the most...in my opinion.

freddy adu = wooly monkeys
what do you think about the 6 x 6 format i spelled out above?  

to cut one out of batting, we could combine OBP + SLG to OPS, or we could cut SBs ... being a billy beane / moneyball fan, i think SBs are a generally BS stat, and i'd much rather cut that than combine OBP and SLG

i really want to keep Holds, so I'm not sure what else I would take out of the pitching cat's ... and you can't really have 6 pitching cat's and 5 batting cat's, it overvalues pitchers ...

thoughts? [/b]
5X5 is the best option, I agree. Holds are pointless, although cutting SB's wouldn't bother me, and I'm no Billy Beane Fan.

Keithstg = captain madras

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2005, 10:57:00 am »
well, i haven't played in a league with .AVG as a stat in about 5 years, but popular consensus rules ...

how about:

AVG / HR / RBI / R / SB
 and
 W / SV / ERA / WHIP / K

if you've never played with holds, you have no idea what you're missing, it adds a whole new dimension to the game ... and when you think about it, the whole purpose of fantasy sports is to assess a value to a player ... set-up men are absolutely crucial to a team, and holds help show their worth ... AVG is a complete bullshit stat when compared to OPS, but, like i said, popular consensus rules ...
(o|o)

tenfifteen

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2005, 11:03:00 am »
Yeah, I love holds. We had them in a fantasy league a few years back, and it helped my team immensely: It's just a completely realistic stat.

I like average too, but it doesn't really say much in and of itself. OPS is a far better measure of a hitter's value to a team. Gwynn hit for avg, but with no runs scored, few RBIs, and very little in the way of slugging... well...

Anyway, tenfifteen == Government Darlings

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2005, 11:14:00 am »
ok, i think consensus has it to make it 4x4 or 5x5, no problem there ... let's have a vote for AVG vs. OBP or OPS ...

for all of you traditionalists who are scared by OBP and SLG, there's really nothing to worry about, yahoo will sort through all the stats for you when you research players through them ... ALSO, i do a spreadsheet every year where i tally up all the stats from the previous year for every player, it's pretty easy and it helps when you're in 6 leagues all with different stat cat's ... SO, i'll send this spreadsheet to everyone in the league so we all have even footing, which will help if you're unfamiliar with OBP and SLG ...

Barry Bonds had a .609 OBP last year ... .609!!
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2005, 11:17:00 am »
freddyadu:  AVG
 tenfifteen:  OPB or OPS
 hoyasaxa:  OPB or OPS

keep em coming...
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2005, 11:18:00 am »
by the way, we have 9 teams right now, we have room for another 5 if anyone else is interested ...
(o|o)

ratioci nation

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2005, 11:19:00 am »
I dont really have a preference on stats

my team is Tropic of Nipples

Guiny

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2005, 11:20:00 am »
I'd say if your not gonna do AVG., then do the OPS. I'm still not convinced about the Holds, I think the same players that would give you good holds will also help you out tremondously with ERA and WHIP. I know they don't pitch as many innings but alot of those Holds guys pitch 60-70 games a year.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2005, 11:28:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  I'd say if your not gonna do AVG., then do the OPS. I'm still not convinced about the Holds, I think the same players that would give you good holds will also help you out tremondously with ERA and WHIP. I know they don't pitch as many innings but alot of those Holds guys pitch 60-70 games a year.
I agree, they still have some worth for ERA and WHIP, but holds give them the value they really should have ... pitchers like brad lidge (early last season), tom gordon, osuka, etc, etc are nearly as important as closers to teams, and when you're competing for a whole diff. stat cat like holds, you fight over those players just as hard as you do closers

rob, are you in the league? what's your vote?

freddy: AVG
 hoya: OBP
 tenfifteen: OBP
 pollard: indifferent
(o|o)

Guiny

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2005, 11:33:00 am »
You don't have to talk up Brad Lidge, I know from last year just how dominant he was, he was in my division and definetely helped that guy come from behind at the end of the year and beat me. If I never hear his name again, it would be fine with me. I'm not in the league yet, I'll look into signing up.

My vote would be On Base Percentage, that way walks account for something.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2005, 11:36:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  You don't have to talk up Brad Lidge, I know from last year just how dominant he was, he was in my division and definetely helped that guy come from behind at the end of the year and beat me. If I never hear his name again, it would be fine with me. I'm not in the league yet, I'll look into signing up.

Hah, I made it a point to draft him in every league I was in last year, usually was able to get him in the last two rounds ... he was a BEAST ...
(o|o)

Guiny

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2005, 11:41:00 am »
He was a thorn in my side!!!!!!!!!!

But everyone laughed at me last year when I drafted Adrian Beltre in the 13th round. People who had him the three years before that was like, "You can have him". He was just a backup for Lowell anyways, so I didnt care. But obviously by the middle of the season he was my DH.   :D