Author Topic: Anyone go to that Ramshead live place yet?  (Read 5056 times)

Sir HC

Anyone go to that Ramshead live place yet?
« on: January 09, 2005, 11:33:00 pm »
I am still not really sure where it is.  Is it by the inner harbor in the main Power Plant Place or is it away from the waterfront where all those drunk kids are by the balloon?

Dr. Anton Phibes

Re: Anyone go to that Ramshead live place yet?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 01:53:00 am »
It's in the main area by the Improv and the Have a nice day cafe joint......I'll be there for Neko Case.......

hitman

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 02:53:00 am »
where the drunk kids are by the balloon.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 09:42:00 am »
I may go up for either skerik/Mike Clark/Robert Walter or Keller Williams.
احمد

macrolib

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 09:56:00 am »
There's a parking garage on Market St, right next to the square where Power Plant Live sits (Ram's Head Live) is off to the left next to the Improv. You might do better to park a bit further away because you have to pay for parking before you leave, from a kiosk, and the line to pay was out of the building and full of drunk kids.

As for the venue itself, I wasn't all that impressed...sound isn't all that great though it's huge inside (much bigger, both upstairs and down) than the 9:30 with plenty of options for eating. Personally, I think it's too big for Baltimore shows to sustain and doubt they'll sell out many shows. It might be because they're a new venue, but the staff are very helpful...

Got Haggis?

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 01:15:00 pm »
yeah I went there this weekend to see George Clinton.  It was alright I guess - it seemed to lack  atmosphere though.  But yeah, its huge...and they have flatscreen tv's EVERYWHERE (i think i read that they have over 40).  one thing that is kinda cool (i guess) is if you go to the restaurant side while a show is going on you can watch the show on the tvs..

its where the drunk kids are....next to the improv.  have no idea about parking since i took a cab.

sound didn't seem all that great, but not sure if that is due to the venue or george clinton, heh.

beer is kind of expensive for baltimore (about $4 for a cup) but still not as bad as it is in DC heh - plus they have pretty good beer on tap.

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 01:29:00 pm »
was it crowded at all?

MiloGTC

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 02:13:00 am »
Originally posted by macrolib:
  Personally, I think it's too big for Baltimore shows to sustain and doubt they'll sell out many shows.
Not if they keep booking people like Dave Mason, and the Constantines ... all these acts that are never going to fill up an 1800-person venue. It's kind of ridiculous, really.

eltee

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 03:53:00 pm »
Yeah. I think it's very similar to the Norva. Except more square footage in the width. It's really not three floors. Two floors, plus stadium like seating for about 50. I suppose that seating is considered the third floor. It's somewhat like a mall or Camden Yards...a place to buy beer and food and listen to music vice go to listen to music and everything else second. A little too polished, maybe it'll be broken in soon. Security in yellow shirts a little to "bouncer" and hovering for my taste. Food staff ultra-mall-food court-friendly. I guess that's a good thing though. Didn't try the food. I like that there are tables to eat at near each food kiosk. Expect to smell like hamburgers when you leave. Managers running around w/ their heads cut off, wearing earpieces. For the ladies - the bathrooms are aplenty and fine. There are TVs everywhere, surprisingly I forgot about them b/c the view to the stage is great anywhere. The sound is okay. Basic. I think it's the venue. There wasn't an echo but the sound was just there. Laminate floors, in a large, airy venue... Speakers everywhere though (including the bathroom), and the feed didn't kill my ears. Music in between shows was decent.  The line for tickets took forever. One couple stood at the window for 20 minutes. Two employees came out and started handing people their tickets from will call. I guess they need to work out some kinks. Thank you 9:30 for the speedy lines. If 9:30 had their add'l square footage, that'd be great. Other than that, I'm happy w/ 9:30 as is.
 My cabbie told me they've been selling out and doing really well, the community is happy to have the venue b/c there is nothing other than...some beach place and one other club. He was quite excited about BB King coming.
 (sonick don't ask me to buy you a map I just did.)

Got Haggis?

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 04:15:00 pm »
yeah george clinton was packed....at first (we got there about 30 mins early i guess) it seemed like no one was there....but as soon as pfunk started up, it filled up real quick.  i dont think it was sold out though.

carolinee

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 04:26:00 pm »
I really wanted to see the Constantines there yesterday, but apparently the place is 21+. Lame.

Sir HC

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 04:41:00 pm »
I am sorry, but how does a cabbie know that it is selling out?  1800 people is quite a lot (we did shows that size in college) and even 900 in the room looked pretty packed.

eltee

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 06:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  I am sorry, but how does a cabbie know that it is selling out?  1800 people is quite a lot (we did shows that size in college) and even 900 in the room looked pretty packed.
heheh. I was surprised as well when the cabbie said that "it is selling out every night". Alas, it would be tough to do. There is still  plenty of room in that joint even when it's full to packed capacity. Not to be so defeating though - I'm sure the community (cabbies) included are happy the new venue is there. I too think they should change the policy to include youngsters...however, they are not prepared at this time. Not even sure they would be in the future.