Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1876560 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #4365 on: October 12, 2017, 01:52:56 pm »
so, smax, how has Oreo been treating you so far?

i'm still on a 5X (i know, i know...) so i'm holding off for a little while, to see how it behaves in the wild.  early reports seem good.

I'm surprised I'm not in that comments section on AC - I'm a regular over there as well.

Anyhow, Oreo has been solid for me.  It hasn't fixed my intermittent bluetooth issues that seem to plague every Google phone I've ever owned, but everything else is improved.  Some of the new features need some work (PiP works great on Maps, Youtube and Duo, but not elsewhere), but my battery life has been great.   I also appreciate the new control I have over notifications.  I have not had any issues with text notifications on Fi (other carriers have reported issues) nor am I experiencing the random reboots others have reported.

I have the all black Pixel 2 XL on it's way (couldn't hold out for the Panda) so if you want my very silver first gen Pixel for $350, let me know.  It's still a solid phone, I just couldn't pass up Google's offer to trade it in for $350 if I bought a new Pixel (plus, that bezel-less design is sexy AF).  $350 for a phone I paid $400 for 8 months ago is a no brainer, or so I told the Mrs.   
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4366 on: October 12, 2017, 05:51:03 pm »
if you want my very silver first gen Pixel for $350, let me know.   

go ahead and take the trade-in.  given my current employment sitch, i should hold off on such non-essential purchases...

how did you get a Pixel for $400???
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #4367 on: October 12, 2017, 06:11:39 pm »
how did you get a Pixel for $400???

Swappa

And the prices have crashed since Google announced the trade in value....
27>34

« Reply #4368 on: October 12, 2017, 06:58:53 pm »
got the pixel 1 and don't feel a compelling reason to pay $300 to get the new 2
sell me on why I should get the new version, the 'upgrades' don't seem to be that big of a deal

but still my favorite phone in the last 13 years
slack

vansmack

« Reply #4369 on: October 12, 2017, 07:29:02 pm »
got the pixel 1 and don't feel a compelling reason to pay $300 to get the new 2
sell me on why I should get the new version, the 'upgrades' don't seem to be that big of a deal

but still my favorite phone in the last 13 years

The only way to explain it is that I have a problem.  Outside of that....

I would not have traded my Pixel in for a Pixel 2.  The edition of stereo speakers was not enough for me to do an upgrade.  If they had made the bezel-less design of the Pixel 2 XL into the small form factor of the Pixel, it may have been my dream phone (and added wireless charging).  The Pixel is still my favorite phone since the HTC Touch Diamond.

That being said, I used a colleagues Pixel 2 XL and instantly fell in love.  The huge screen is gorgeous, and the near bezel-less design is incredible.  It's a bigger phone than I've ever owned (I apparently don't have the big hands of godsshoeshine...) but it's size for a 6 inch screen is remarkably comfortable.  It's tall, but not very wide and easy to handle.  The extra screen real estate and the monster battery just sucked the money right out of my wallet.   

So no, I cannot and will not sell you an Pixel 2 upgrade.  But I can create a load of phone envy in your pants when you see my Pixel 2 XL.
27>34

« Reply #4370 on: October 12, 2017, 07:56:57 pm »
wireless charging
So no, I cannot and will not sell you an Pixel 2 upgrade.  But I can create a load of phone envy in your pants when you see my Pixel 2 XL.
so that was the only con when it didn't have the wireless charging, a nice feature of the samsung galaxy series for me

thank you for your honesty and hopefully the ladies won't be watchin' when you whip it out in front of me
slack

vansmack

« Reply #4371 on: October 12, 2017, 08:10:49 pm »
so that was the only con when it didn't have the wireless charging, a nice feature of the samsung galaxy series for me

Believe me, the irony was not lost on me when I handed all my qi hardware over to the Mrs when her iPhone 8 arrived....also not surprising, she loves wireless charging!
27>34

« Reply #4372 on: October 13, 2017, 02:43:13 pm »
these look like a sexy addition to my pixel

Worth $150...not sure
I do like the design
slack

vansmack

« Reply #4373 on: October 14, 2017, 04:52:41 pm »

Worth $150...not sure
I do like the design

Choosing new headphones are driving me absolutely crazy right now.  Consuming way too much of my time...

Anyhow, yes, those look sweet.  And the realtime demo of the translation feature was awesome, (if you haven't seen it).  I volunteered to beta a pair but Google did not select me (wah-wah). 

I already have (1) a sleek pair of in ear bluetooth buds (Rowkin Bit Charge Stereo) but they don't have built in assistant, and (2) my only over ear headphones with noise cancelling features for travel are wired 3.5mm analog plug and that's going away with my new phone. 

So I'm going to have a hard time justifying replacing my BT ear buds when what I really need are a new pair of either BT or USB-C over ear headphones with noise canceling,  preferably with Google Assistant.  I'm thinking BT is the way to go and justify the purchase by saying the Mrs can use them too as she travels more than me AND just lost her headphone jack s well with the iPhone 8.  It's hard being Smackie sometimes. 

I am headed to the bar tomorrow and some of my Google friends will likely be there.  Hopefully one of them will have the Pixel Buds and I can try them out for you. 
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #4374 on: October 15, 2017, 12:32:59 pm »

Worth $150...not sure
I do like the design

Choosing new headphones are driving me absolutely crazy right now.  Consuming way too much of my time...

Anyhow, yes, those look sweet.  And the realtime demo of the translation feature was awesome, (if you haven't seen it).  I volunteered to beta a pair but Google did not select me (wah-wah). 

I already have (1) a sleek pair of in ear bluetooth buds (Rowkin Bit Charge Stereo) but they don't have built in assistant, and (2) my only over ear headphones with noise cancelling features for travel are wired 3.5mm analog plug and that's going away with my new phone. 

So I'm going to have a hard time justifying replacing my BT ear buds when what I really need are a new pair of either BT or USB-C over ear headphones with noise canceling,  preferably with Google Assistant.  I'm thinking BT is the way to go and justify the purchase by saying the Mrs can use them too as she travels more than me AND just lost her headphone jack s well with the iPhone 8.  It's hard being Smackie sometimes. 

I am headed to the bar tomorrow and some of my Google friends will likely be there.  Hopefully one of them will have the Pixel Buds and I can try them out for you.
also upgrading to the pixel xl 2, but I have to figure out a work speaker system. I just plug into the aux input on my computer speakers now. I just want to be sure I can get on the office wifi first; my suboptimal IT department can't seem to get the 6p to connect
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #4375 on: October 15, 2017, 03:47:43 pm »
also upgrading to the pixel xl 2, but I have to figure out a work speaker system. I just plug into the aux input on my computer speakers now. I just want to be sure I can get on the office wifi first; my suboptimal IT department can't seem to get the 6p to connect

If you don't want to use your USB-C to aux plug adapter or you need to charge, I would get a bluetooth speaker.  And I would recommend the UE Roll, which Amazon has certified refurbished for $45, $48 if you want black.  That's a steal for a speaker that you can turn on and off and set the equalizer from your phone - a nice convenience.  It's also water and dust proof which makes it useful outside of the office, by the pool or if you have kids.  It sounds great too and the battery should last you a few days between charges.  I love mine bungied to my beach cruiser in the park.

This of course, if the stereo speakers on the phone itself aren't good enough.  I Went to a Verizon store yesterday and tested the Pixel 2 XL speakers in the crowded store and was quite impressed.
27>34

« Reply #4376 on: October 15, 2017, 04:19:35 pm »
my suboptimal IT department
This looks like a job for sidehatch, you need a new IT dept??
slack

vansmack

« Reply #4377 on: October 30, 2017, 10:19:45 am »
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/869532150760165377

Yes, I loved that.

Also looking forward to the downfall of Paul Manafort and to see who he takes down with him.

It's on.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4378 on: October 30, 2017, 06:12:01 pm »
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #4379 on: December 14, 2017, 07:06:16 pm »
It's been a while since Smackie dropped some wisdom.  Here's one:

Don't run your 2016 Taxes through the Proposed new tax bill changes if you're a dual income, no kids household in a pricey neighborhood in a high tax state.  It will make you feel as if they were targeting you, which they were.
27>34