Author Topic: And it's over...  (Read 14618 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: And it's over...
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2005, 02:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Gary Thorne also does baseball which is all you really need to know.

and he's terrible at that too.
OU812

godsshoeshine

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2005, 03:40:00 pm »
  It also doesn't help when the US hockey commentatories pale in comparsion to the CBC announcers.  Bob Cole, Harry Neil, Don "The Coach" Cherry, Ron MacLean and Satellite Hotstove were the way to watch Hockey and spend a Saturday Night.  I was spoiled in Detroit because the also had top notch announcers.  Outside of Canada, Detroit and probably NYC, any ex-hockey player who can string two sentances together can get hired as a color guy.
mike lange in pittsburgh is such a good play-by-play guy, he can make anyone look good. eddie o was decent before they got him to coach the team
o/\o

xcanuck

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2005, 03:41:00 pm »
  It also doesn't help when the US hockey commentatories pale in comparsion to the CBC announcers.  Bob Cole, Harry Neil, Don "The Coach" Cherry, Ron MacLean and Satellite Hotstove were the way to watch Hockey and spend a Saturday Night.  I was spoiled in Detroit because the also had top notch announcers.  Outside of Canada, Detroit and probably NYC, any ex-hockey player who can string two sentances together can get hired as a color guy.
To ESPN2's credit, they have gotten some colour guys who really know the sport. I've enjoyed listening to Darren Pang, John Davidson, and Ray "Chicken Parm" Ferraro. Yeah, Melrose is trying to be a (less confrontationa) Cherry but he's still funny. He has his mullet and Grapes has his suits. But I've never been happy with the play-byplay guys.

Which is why I'm so happy that NHL Centre Ice has (had) CBC, TSN, and Rogers broadcasts for virtually all the games with Canadian teams. Satellite Hotstove and Coach's Corner were sweet.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2005, 03:50:00 pm »
no your right espn does have good color guys, and having not watched much hockey in a good while, i had forgetten about panger, etc.  my comment maybe be more specfically directed at the local coverage, and it's possible that the capitols guys are just the bottom of the barrel. watching hockey just isn't a priority anymore, kosmette's not a fan at all and i've really lost touch with the sport.  i just knew that HNIC was what everything should be compared to...  i even remember seeing the french equivalent of don cherry in action once, for some reason a game was blacked out in detroit and the only way to see it was on the lower powered french cbc station fuzzy picture and all.
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2005, 03:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  NHL Centre Ice  
mans greatest invention

sonickteam2

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2005, 12:05:00 am »
is it over? or is it not over!!!!!!

stu47

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2005, 01:06:00 am »
espn.com seems to be leaning toward not over at this moment

vansmack

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2005, 06:20:00 pm »
Looks like Anaheim avoids contraction.  There's no way the league approves this if they were about to contract the team:

Disney Sells the Ducks to Philanthropist

Friday, February 25, 2005
 Disney created team in 1992

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Walt Disney Co. agreed to sell the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to billionaire Henry Samueli and his wife Susan.

The deal, announced Friday by Samueli, is subject to approval by the NHL. Samueli's company operates the Arrowhead Pond, where the Mighty Ducks play.

The 2004-5 season was canceled by a management lockout.

"The Mighty Ducks have become a wonderful asset to this community, with a terrific following, a history of winning and a strong nucleus of outstanding young prospects and talented veterans,'' Samueli said. "Our acquisition of the team assures that the Mighty Ducks will remain in the hands of local ownership committed to keeping the team in Orange County and putting a consistent winner on the ice.''

Disney paid $50 million for the Ducks to join the NHL as an expansion franchise in 1992. Samueli's initial offer reportedly was in the $50 million to $60 million range.

Although the Ducks were Western Conference champions and went to the Stanley Cup finals during the 2002-2003 season, Disney has had them on the market for years.

"We are confident that Henry and Susan Samueli will bring continued success to the Ducks and we will remain among the biggest fans of the team going forward,'' Disney chief executive Michael Eisner said.

Samueli is co-founder, chairman of the board and chief technical officer of Broadcom Corp.

Disney sold the Anaheim Angels to Arte Moreno in 2003.
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2005, 07:52:00 pm »
I hope to God the new owners change the name of the team......the mighty ducks just can't be taken seriously....I mean, really, come on!!!!