Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258301 times)

Relaxer

Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 09:01:00 am »
Originally posted by beetsnotbeats:
 [QB]Originally posted by walkonby:
 [qb]What will probably happen is the movie will open in December in LA & NY for Oscar consideration then open widely in 1/08.
I don't think this is going to be an oscar contender. Don't get me wrong, the preview looks great, but I also wondered why they'd dump it in January if it was so good.

I really liked Little Children a lot, but much of that was because I live on a park where there are dozens of mini-dramas like that going on -- and my wife fills me in on the details every night whether I want them or not.

Right now I'm digging the Planet Earth DVDs. Didn't catch them on broadcast, but am loving it now. Totally worth it.
oword

paul3mac

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 09:38:00 am »
recently got Children of Men and The Fountain from netflix... both were excellent.

eltee

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 12:07:00 pm »
In the other movie thread "Raising Victor Vargas" is mentioned...I watched it...It was all right. Curious why some of you LOVE the movie?

"Once" - this should be required viewing for everyone.

Bags

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 11:00:00 pm »
So with all the raves for "Once," are any of you going to see The Swell Season on July 26??  Seems like there's been very little interest around here...

Darth Ed

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Greer Zoller:
  In the other movie thread "Raising Victor Vargas" is mentioned...I watched it...It was all right. Curious why some of you LOVE the movie?
That's a good question. I'm one of those who love that movie. I think I love it for two aspects in particular: (1) The cinematography on that film is absolutely gorgeous. You might have to have an eye for cinematography to fully appreciate it though. It's not like the kind where the scenery is beautiful; it's the kind where the shots are framed just perfectly and the camera moves are incredibly well done. (2) Even more importantly, the writing is superb. The dialogue is very life-like, and the characters just seem so human. I think it's marvelous. I love the acting and the actors, too. The casting is perfect. OK, that makes three things.    :)

Darth Ed

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 11:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  So with all the raves for "Once," are any of you going to see The Swell Season on July 26??  Seems like there's been very little interest around here...
Oh, yeah, I'm definitely going. I'm really looking forward to it. I don't know what the interest level is here on the forum, but I only had to mention it to some friends of mine who don't normally go to many concerts and they leaped at the chance. I'm bringing four friends. If the movie had received even slightly wider distribution, I'm sure I'd know a few more who would attend, too.

lily1

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 12:19:00 am »
of course! i'll be there. brennser as well, i would expect.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 09:04:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  Right now I'm digging the Planet Earth DVDs. Didn't catch them on broadcast, but am loving it now. Totally worth it.
Paraphrased from Jon Stewart and the movie "Half Baked":

"Did you ever watch 'Planet Earth?'...Did you ever watch 'Planet Earth'....on WEED?"

Brian

tigersscareme

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 10:04:00 am »
"the station agent"

on DVD.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 11:04:00 am »
coming next month... to dvd... i could not be more excited.

does a wolfman have nards?!?
nothx

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 11:07:00 am »
I thought the movie was good for what it was, but I hated the music.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 11:07:00 am »
Superbad is showing tonite for free in DC. Copy of your myspace profile as your pass...I can't find the link right now though.
(_|_)

allmy$to930

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 11:17:00 am »
I really enjoyed Andrew Bujalski's films "Funny Ha Ha" and "Mutual Appreciation" (both available from Netflix). They seem to be pretty polarizing as far as whether or not people like them, though. The two dudes from Bishop Allen, Justin and Christian, have the lead in each film.

Klosterman raved about them in Esquire.  Review in Esquire

TomJaworski

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 11:54:00 am »
"Little Children" was a good film. Knew nothing about it going in except Kelly Leak from "Bad News Bears" played a sex offender. It was very original that touched on some interesting issues and featured some great acting performances.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 12:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by LonnieBeale:
  "Little Children" was a good film. Knew nothing about it going in except Kelly Leak from "Bad News Bears" played a sex offender. It was very original that touched on some interesting issues and featured some great acting performances.
...and Kate Winslet naked.

Brian