Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258355 times)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2015, 01:01:01 am »
i live in the national forest . . . we watch possums, raccoons and skunks the size of small dogs, as our on demand entertainment.

I used to have a pet skunk.  Also had a tarantula, which was handy in getting rid of unwanted house guests.  (The band that I had the longest span better times seeing them in concert is the Stones, almost 24 years.  December 18, 1981 Hampton, VA - October 6, 2005 Charlottesville, VA.)
FUKIT

ggw

« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2015, 10:43:53 am »
Wild was a solid B-.  I didn't read the book, but I imagine they tried to jam a lot of book into a little movie so important things seem hinted at but never fully fleshed out.  The scenery alone makes it worth viewing.

I really liked Boyhood, but I don't know how much of that was just because the production format was so unique and how much was because of the story.  Either way, definitely worth seeing if you have not already.

Bagley

« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2015, 10:59:43 am »
Foxcatcher- Carell like you've never seen him before-eerie!!!

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2015, 11:10:08 am »
Saw Fury the other night. Really good. Thought all the actors were great in their roles.
‼‼?‼‼

Vas Deferens

« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2015, 10:56:55 pm »
Force Majeure - you should see this on the big screen (still showing at Anjelika Pop-Up in DC)
(_|_)

K8teebug

« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20:08 am »
Wild was a solid B-.  I didn't read the book, but I imagine they tried to jam a lot of book into a little movie so important things seem hinted at but never fully fleshed out.  The scenery alone makes it worth viewing.

I really liked Boyhood, but I don't know how much of that was just because the production format was so unique and how much was because of the story.  Either way, definitely worth seeing if you have not already.

I loved Wild. I was afraid it was going to be Eat Pray Love in the woods, but it wasn't. I read the book after I saw the movie. Book was good too.

Have Boyhood on deck. So many people loved it, and I love the Before Sunrise series, that I just bought the blu-ray.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2015, 08:38:33 am »
I liked Fury well enough. 

Saw Gone Girl over the holiday.  What stinking pile of horseshit of a movie.

ggw

« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2015, 09:43:47 am »
Saw Gone Girl over the holiday.  What stinking pile of horseshit of a movie.

That's quite the visceral reaction.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2015, 10:06:20 am »
saw Under the Skin and loved it.  Probably my favorite movie of 2014.  The soundtrack is great as well.

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »
saw Under the Skin and loved it.  Probably my favorite movie of 2014.  The soundtrack is great as well.
The composer in question is Mica Levi, aka Micachu, the 27-year-old classically trained multi-instrumentalist best known for her experimental pop with Micachu and the Shapes. ?Mica is very insightful and intuitive,? Glazer recently told Pitchfork. ?We had a lot of discussions about what sounds might work and what wouldn?t, and when we heard the ones that sounded right, they became the language for the film. All those bendy and stretched notes just felt correct. It came half from the heart, half from the head.? Glazer?s use of ?language? is apt, as the music really does speak for Skin?s characters and situations, especially since there are, at most, 50 lines of dialogue throughout the film?s 108 minutes. As Levi explained, the music is ?supposed to feel like a life-form you can?t quite understand, but it?s carrying on relentlessly, like a beehive

article

totally wrote this movie off as drivel, now I'm intrigued

---even better it is free with Amazon Prime Instant Video
although seems like this would be better on the big screen with the big soundsystem
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:30:58 pm by Sidehatch® »
slack

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2015, 01:49:56 pm »
Seeing as we're in a forum for a concert venue, I feel like most of you will adore 'Whiplash' just as much as I did. I've seen it twice and came to conclusion that it is my favorite of the year. Too bad it'll most likely be completely overlooked by the academy.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2015, 02:05:47 pm »
so much homophobia in Whiplash - yes I hope it gets overlooked in the screenplay category!

is it really possible to have blood on the drum kit ?  playing jazz?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:10:01 pm by Vas Deferens »
(_|_)

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2015, 02:12:44 pm »
Yes, a jazz drummer could bloody their hands while playing.  (no knowledge of the movie, just stating a fact about drumming/drummers)

shemptiness

« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2015, 02:34:00 pm »

although seems like this would be better on the big screen with the big soundsystem

Naked Scarlett Johansson?  Yes, please.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2015, 03:59:26 pm »

Naked Scarlett Johansson?  Yes, please.
Wait back up, what movie?
‼‼?‼‼