Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258216 times)

Relaxer

Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #255 on: January 19, 2016, 10:40:58 am »
I keep meaning to watch Amy but never feel like it when it's choosin' time. Same with "I Am Chris Farley".

I did watch The Big Short last night. It was good! I thought it did a pretty good job explaining what was happening as it went along. That said, I've read several books about the 2008 crash and feel like I have a pretty good grasp of what happened, and yet I was lost a couple times when it would get into the deep details.

I also didn't always understand who the characters were, or who they worked for, or if they represented the banks or investing arms or whatever. I spent the first half thinking Steve Carrell's character was with the SEC or some watchdog group.
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #256 on: January 19, 2016, 11:12:13 am »
Saw Carol this weekend and loved it. What a beautiful film. It was like an Edward Hopper painting.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #257 on: January 28, 2016, 05:24:35 pm »
Sequel for 'What We Do In The Shadows' [about the werewolves we see in that movie] gets a title!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74277

That movie was hilarious and their interactions with the werewolves were entertaining as hell. Rhys Darby is AMAZING. Can't wait to see him and the rest of the sequel.
‼‼?‼‼

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #258 on: January 28, 2016, 07:03:49 pm »
The Stoned Age.  Dazed and Confused less know, but funnier little brother.  Although I don't know many peple who like this movie as much as I do. 

TheREALHunter

« Reply #259 on: January 28, 2016, 07:57:57 pm »
Not exactly current but if you can handle subtitles then I recommend "Wild Tales" highly.

Space Freely

« Reply #260 on: January 28, 2016, 08:05:12 pm »
Y'all need to briefly explain WHY you recommend the movie if you want a total stranger to actually check out your recommendation.  ;)

« Reply #261 on: January 28, 2016, 11:52:37 pm »
Not exactly current but if you can handle subtitles then I recommend "Wild Tales" highly.
that was great!
2014 nom for best foreign film
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #262 on: January 29, 2016, 08:03:36 am »
Rented Sicario this week. Did not like. Explain what the appeal of this movie was supposed to be? It was choppy, annoying, and was just all-around bad.

Amy comes to Netflix in February. I'm waiting for that one.

Relaxer

« Reply #263 on: January 29, 2016, 10:26:56 am »
Rented Sicario this week. Did not like. Explain what the appeal of this movie was supposed to be? It was choppy, annoying, and was just all-around bad.

I did like this. First of all, I tend to like 'procedure' types of movies, where characters are depicted doing their job in a relatively realistic setting, i.e. not Mad Max or a superhero joint. I liked this for the glimpse it provided into the high echelon of law enforcement. Sure it was pumped up and dramatized, but what was depicted is not that far off from what really goes on.

I really liked the way it was filmed, and I thought the crossing-the-border traffic jam scene was incredible. After seeing a million high speed car chases in movies, this was an awesome contrast, but it was just as tense. I thought all of the main characters were interesting too. I also liked that it positioned one character as the primary 'hero' and yet the climax of the movie involves someone else entirely.

Another examples of a procedure movie I liked, for different but similar reasons, was Spotlight. Simply love watching movies about people working.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #264 on: January 29, 2016, 10:29:29 am »
Also, after seeing (and loving) so many movies like John Wick and Mad Max, where countless faceless enemies are killed and instantly forgotten, I appreciated the fact that Sicario treats death very seriously and shows how killing someone has tremendous reverberations. 
oword

« Reply #265 on: January 29, 2016, 10:34:34 am »
. Simply love watching movies about people working.
do you work vicariously though others
slack

Relaxer

« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2016, 10:40:06 am »
Working vicariously through others is how billionaires made their fortunes.
oword

Space Freely

« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2016, 11:12:53 am »
I keep meaning to watch Amy but never feel like it when it's choosin' time. Same with "I Am Chris Farley".

I did watch The Big Short last night. It was good! I thought it did a pretty good job explaining what was happening as it went along. That said, I've read several books about the 2008 crash and feel like I have a pretty good grasp of what happened, and yet I was lost a couple times when it would get into the deep details.

I also didn't always understand who the characters were, or who they worked for, or if they represented the banks or investing arms or whatever. I spent the first half thinking Steve Carrell's character was with the SEC or some watchdog group.

FWIW, my wife is a huge Amy Winehouse fan, and she didn't really care for the Amy movie.
I thought it was decent, but not great. I much preferred the Nina Simone documentary, also streaming on Netflix. I mention that because both of those movie are Oscar nominated in the documentary category.

Space Freely

« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2016, 11:14:31 am »
that was great!
2014 nom for best foreign film

Another vote for Wild Tales.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2016, 11:15:19 am »

I did like this. First of all, I tend to like 'procedure' types of movies, where characters are depicted doing their job in a relatively realistic setting, i.e. not Mad Max or a superhero joint. I liked this for the glimpse it provided into the high echelon of law enforcement. Sure it was pumped up and dramatized, but what was depicted is not that far off from what really goes on.

I really liked the way it was filmed, and I thought the crossing-the-border traffic jam scene was incredible. After seeing a million high speed car chases in movies, this was an awesome contrast, but it was just as tense. I thought all of the main characters were interesting too. I also liked that it positioned one character as the primary 'hero' and yet the climax of the movie involves someone else entirely.

Another examples of a procedure movie I liked, for different but similar reasons, was Spotlight. Simply love watching movies about people working.
Sicario was fantastically shot. I thought all of the scenes of them driving and looking over the border and the quiet overhead shots of Mexico to the contrast of them on the ground were great. Thought the whole drive through the city was great and then everything leading up to and from the tunnel was great. Such an awesome and tense movie. Was really surprised it got snubbed by the Oscars.
‼‼?‼‼