Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258284 times)

Space Freely

Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #390 on: March 10, 2017, 04:32:04 pm »
I'm sort of glad my kid is starting to scoff at animated kid movies. Though I did enjoy Zootopia, Jungle Book, and Paddington (all streaming on Netflix now and yes I realize only the first is animated).

Of course now she's into sappy stuff like "A Dog's Purpose", and for some reason she watches the Netflix reboot of "One Day at a Time" tv show repeatedly.

Yada

« Reply #391 on: March 10, 2017, 04:35:13 pm »
Ok, cool.
I see just about every single kid movie that comes out.

'Sing' was pretty generic, but goddamn did I love those KPOP foxes. When they were dancing and singing "Ninja Re Bang Bang" by Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, I almost died. Both my kids were frantically whispering "DAD THAT'S YOUR MUSIC!" (And yes, I know that Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is a Japanese artist, don't @ me). I give it a 5.

Secret Life of Pets was also as generic and boring as the usual. I give it a 4. For some reason, I thought it was going to be pretty good so I invited my parents to come too. We all thought it was mediocre.

Batman Lego Movie, however, was fucking hilarious. Seriously, I haven't laughed so much in a movie in years. 8/10

I thought Zootopia was a step above most kids cartoon movies, as it had an actual plot, suspense, and some interesting ideas about identity. 6/10

Damn!!! You've got some high standards, but like I said, I'm very new to the genre. I think I'm still at the point in my life of just enjoying going to the movies with my daughter kind of thing. I'm sure by the time she's 10 i'll be vaping in the car pre movie and getting into the Relaxer zone.

Space Freely

« Reply #392 on: March 10, 2017, 04:43:41 pm »
I think the kids movie preferences depend also on your personal sensibilities.

The Batman Lego Movie (and for that matter the Lego Movie itself) trailers just seem loud, obnoxious and over the top. I can not stand those types of in your face movies, be they animated or with real people. And neither can my quiet, mild-mannered Studio Ghibli loving daughter, who curses me out anytime I play my rock music too loud.

But I can totally see how a wild and crazy guy like Relaxer, and his presumably chip off the old block two sons would love that kind of movie.

ggw

« Reply #393 on: March 10, 2017, 04:56:48 pm »
I'm guessing Relaxer's kids got the Jenna Jameson Essential Gold Collection as a christening gift.

vansmack

« Reply #394 on: March 10, 2017, 05:21:41 pm »
I'm guessing Relaxer's kids got the Jenna Jameson Essential Gold Collection as a christening gift.

From Uncle Smackie....
27>34

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #395 on: March 23, 2017, 11:22:48 am »
I think the kids movie preferences depend also on your personal sensibilities.

The Batman Lego Movie (and for that matter the Lego Movie itself) trailers just seem loud, obnoxious and over the top. I can not stand those types of in your face movies, be they animated or with real people. And neither can my quiet, mild-mannered Studio Ghibli loving daughter, who curses me out anytime I play my rock music too loud.

But I can totally see how a wild and crazy guy like Relaxer, and his presumably chip off the old block two sons would love that kind of movie.
The Lego Batman movie is slightly more over the top than the Lego Movie and the original Lego Movie is better but honestly they are both laugh riots. I did NOT want to see the Lego Movie at all and my friend convinced me and I thought it was one of the funnier movies of that year. Lego Batman movie is more of a movie for Batman fans than fans of the Lego Movie. Still very, very funny. Will Arnett has climbed the ranks as one of my favorite Batman...s..? Lol

Saw Get Out, I get the hype, but didn't think much of the plot. Thought the directing was great and the movie itself looked very nice. Thought it was a very well updated Stepford Wives more than anything.
‼‼?‼‼

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #396 on: March 29, 2017, 02:16:27 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnCdOQsX5kc

ooooooooooooooooooooooooh yeah.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #397 on: March 29, 2017, 02:32:43 pm »
Here's my finalized top 10 from 2016:

(1) Toni Erdmann
(2) Paterson
(3) Certain Women
(4) The Lobster
(5) Moonlight
(6) Manchester By The Sea
(7) The Handmaiden
(8) Love & Friendship
(9) Gimme Fiction
(10) La La Land
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #398 on: March 29, 2017, 02:33:39 pm »
As I get older and blinder, my tolerance for subtitles goes down. But Elle was totally worth putting up with subtitles for.

Space Freely

« Reply #399 on: March 29, 2017, 02:35:58 pm »

(1) Toni Erdmann
(2) Paterson
(3) Certain Women
(4) The Lobster
(5) Moonlight
(7) The Handmaiden
(8) Love & Friendship
(9) Gimme Fiction
(10) La La Land

Gimme Fiction is a Spoon album. It's also a movie?

Relaxer

« Reply #400 on: March 29, 2017, 02:36:01 pm »
Here are a few movies I've watched recently

Life -- 6/10. Its fine, rarely boring, but not all that exciting either. Pretty good characters but lacks the sense of dread that was in 'Alien'

XXX Return of Xander Cage -- 7/10 Completely ridiculous, but I have a high tolerance for these kinds of over-the-top international blockbuster action movies. At one point, Vin Diesel and a minor character are in dire mortal peril, and the film shows in detail how Vin escapes and then it just shows the other character strolling up with no explanation for how he escaped.

Assassins Creed -- 4/10 I never had any idea what was going on. Fassbender is cool but I've even played a couple of these video games and I still had no clue what was happening or why.

Kong Skull Island -- 5/10 This was fine, I didn't hate it, but once it was over, I didn't think of it again until just now.

Logan -- 7/10 Close to an 8 but not quite there. I liked this a lot but I've never really accepted Wolverine into my heart so it didn't have that special resonance/reverence that it does for others. Still, I enjoyed it.

Taken 3 -- 3/10 Good god this movie is so dumb, SO DUMB. Like I said, I have a very high tolerance for action movies that are completely realistic. But movies like XXX establish a certain 'world' and then stick with it somewhat consistently (though there's holes like the one I explained). Tak3n tries to be this gritty realistic movie, but it is annoyingly inconsistent that I basically hate it.
oword

« Reply #401 on: March 29, 2017, 02:38:01 pm »

(1) Toni Erdmann
(2) Paterson
(3) Certain Women
(4) The Lobster
(5) Moonlight
(7) The Handmaiden
(8) Love & Friendship
(9) Gimme Fiction
(10) La La Land

Gimme Fiction is a Spoon album. It's also a movie?
Whoops, weird Freudian slip; I am listening to Spoon. Meant to say Gimme Danger, Jim Jarmusch's Stooges doc.
LVMH

« Reply #402 on: March 29, 2017, 02:38:36 pm »
As I get older and blinder, my tolerance for subtitles goes down. But Elle was totally worth putting up with subtitles for.
I liked Elle.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #403 on: March 29, 2017, 02:38:55 pm »
I mean, pretty early on in Tak3n, Liam Neeson is proven to be innocent of killing his ex-wife via videotape that is analyzed by the police, and yet they still keep chasing him and shooting at him and there's all these enormous disasters and crashes and mayhem and fatalities that result because Liam is trying to escape the police who know he's innocent.
oword

MAGA 2020

« Reply #404 on: March 29, 2017, 04:29:16 pm »
Trainspotting 2 - Good not great.  Worth checking out if you're a fan of the first.  Funny and without the grosser scenes from the first sans maybe one.  Having the entire original cast helped. 7/10.