Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258328 times)

ggw

Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #465 on: December 30, 2017, 08:36:02 am »
The new Star Wars movie assumes the viewer knows all the characters and story lines from the previous episodes. Since I don't, I felt like I had walked into the film midway. I'm sure it's very good if you are a follower of the franchise, but for me, it was just 2.5 hours trying to figure out what was going on.

rich_WDC

« Reply #466 on: December 30, 2017, 03:27:12 pm »
Might be N'flix only, I dunno:   
"The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)" from indie Noah Baumbach.   Features a terrific dramatic casting of Adam Sandler (yes, that Adam Sandler and he's been listening to some drama direction, it is clear).    Ben Stiller, Dustin Hoffmann, and Emma Thompson also have leading roles.    Script is well-written and the characters are so real and faulted.   I was hooked from the beginning.

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #467 on: December 30, 2017, 05:04:02 pm »
Did Dustin, grab anybody's breasts in it, then get upset when someone brings it up to him in an interview and denies it and wonders why the person waited years to say anything about it.

« Reply #468 on: December 30, 2017, 05:09:46 pm »
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #469 on: January 02, 2018, 12:45:49 pm »
Given its 100% Rotten Tomatoes score and 94 Metacritic score, I was expecting Lady Bird to blow me away.  It didn't, but it was still very good.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is better, IMHO.

Cannot wait to see Three Billboards. Totally agreed about Lady Bird. Thought the acting was great but the story was disjointed and the whole narrative felt challenging and wildly uneven.

Yada

« Reply #470 on: January 02, 2018, 01:05:45 pm »
Coco: A-
Ferdinand: B-/C+

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #471 on: January 05, 2018, 11:52:06 am »
Was not a big fan of the new Star Wars. Felt like nothing happened, new characters were crammed in and taken out to inspire some sort of fake emotional elements. At the end of the movie I felt let down seeing the Rebels depleted and seemingly making no headway against the first order. Felt like the ending of this movie should have been the beginning of it.

The Shape Of Water was amazing. I thought it his all the notes for a romance movie, a spy thriller, and a classic monster movie. My favorite GDT movie since Pan's. Thought it was a beautiful film.
‼‼?‼‼

K8teebug

« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2018, 10:14:08 am »
Saw Call Me By Your Name and The Shape of Water over my very long and now feeling too short break. Both awesome.

K8teebug

« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2018, 10:15:02 am »
Given its 100% Rotten Tomatoes score and 94 Metacritic score, I was expecting Lady Bird to blow me away.  It didn't, but it was still very good.

Cannot wait to see Three Billboards. Totally agreed about Lady Bird. Thought the acting was great but the story was disjointed and the whole narrative felt challenging and wildly uneven.

I do think you needed to be a girl in the 90's to fully understand Lady Bird. That relationship was totally my mom and myself.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2018, 10:26:09 am »
I agree with the WaPo ...." Three Billboards didn't need its racist cop"

SPOILERS:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/11/28/three-billboards-outside-ebbing-missouri-didnt-need-its-racist-cop/?utm_term=.4ab3c001b290

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:36:37 am by Vas Deferens »
(_|_)

Space Freely

« Reply #475 on: January 08, 2018, 11:07:19 am »
Harry Dean Stanton's last film Lucky is tremendous.  An existential tour de force about growing old and facing death. David Lynch, whose beside himself because of his lost tortoise, plays a regular in a bar that Stanton's character frequents.

I agree. My favorite film in a long, long time.

Relaxer

« Reply #476 on: January 08, 2018, 04:03:16 pm »
Disaster Artist was so fun. It helps that A) I love 'The Room', and B) I loved the Sistero "Disaster Artist" book a LOT. The book is so damn funny. The movie has more pathos and conflict, but it was still good. I'm not a big James Franco fan, but dude absolutely nailed Wiseau.

Coco was a pleasant surprise. Ferdinand was disappointing because the book is so bucolic and this was Just Another Animated Movie.

Jumanji was great fun to watch with the kids because they fucking loved it. If I'd been watching it by myself at home, I would thought "Ok, that was fine, I will never think of it again" but because the kids loved it, we had a really fun time.

oword

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #477 on: January 08, 2018, 05:38:08 pm »
I might have already said this before, but I saw three billboards awhile ago at the Alamo.  Hated it then, hate it now.  Like Wind River.  God, I hated that movie, too.

Space Freely

« Reply #478 on: January 11, 2018, 04:49:24 pm »
Did we ever think we'd see the day when underwear model Markie Mark is the highest paid actor in Hollywood?

Relaxer

« Reply #479 on: January 11, 2018, 04:57:28 pm »
I thought former professional wrestler dwayne johnson was the highest paid actor
oword