Author Topic: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"  (Read 16249 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 01:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
 because they bitched and bitched and bitched and bitched about dupek every day, and now they want him back (so funny).  now b dubbs has taken his place.
a few people wanted dupek to stay originally (jag, etc) ... those same people still want dupek back, but i haven't seen some shifting tide

i, for one, like brian awlalclel
(o|o)

kcjones119

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian_Wallace:
  I think this is just evidence of the Emperor wearing no clothes.  Everyone cites Radiohead as the most uncompromising, independent, least corporate band out there.  The band with the most integrity.
You mean Fugazi.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 02:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by kcjones119:

I think this is just evidence of the Emperor wearing no clothes.  Everyone cites Radiohead as the most uncompromising, independent, least corporate band out there.  The band with the most integrity.
You mean Fugazi. [/b]
Ok.  You got me there.  The most uncompromising, independent, least corporate band out there who once played the MTV Beach House.

Brian

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 02:44:00 pm »
 Ok.  You got me there.  The most uncompromising, independent, least corporate band out there who once played the MTV Beach House.
i loled
(o|o)

Reod Dai

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 04:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
  They're selling a special edition to the people who want it.  They're making them to order and shipping them globally to collectors, vinyl enthusiasts, and fans.  
It's just that while we've all come to expect things like that from labels, it seems a lot different coming from a band.  You don't think that spending lord knows how much time and effort to repackage an album you've already released to sell at an outrageous price smacks of caring more about money than music?  I think that the point Brian is trying to make is that it's a bit hypocritical for Radiohead to get pissed at a money-grubbing label when they're acting like one themselves.

ggw

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 05:21:00 pm »
Amen to Reod Dai.  

That whole notion of "radiohead gave their album away for free" is bullshit.  They cleared $10,000,000.00 by some estimates - in the first week!  They didn't "give something to their fans" they merely figured out a way to get all the cash themselves (not that there's anything wrong with that).  All the news about their upcoming tour indicates that they will be playing the Mega-Domes.  It's all good and fine that they have circumvented the labels to get all the green for themselves, but let's not pretend that they are doing anything other than turning themselves into an autonomous label.

Sage 703

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 05:32:00 pm »
I guess I still don't see a problem in creating a product, made to order, for those that want it.  That's all the discbox is.

Personally, I say more power to them for banking the money themselves, rather than letting a label do it.

nkotb

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »
The issue I take with these things are the bonus tracks.  I can understand releasing a jazzed-up version of an album for the vinyl enthusiasts, with gatefold covers and exclusive artwork.

But when you also package exclusive tracks, that seems to be screwing the consumer.  Say I'm a huge Radiohead fan and dished out $15 for the download.  It's a total slap in the face to then be expected to buy an $80 collector's set just to get 5 extra songs.  

And I think Brian's main point is that for $80 you can get a hell of a lot more from the record company that's "screwing" Radiohead than you can from the band that supposedly loves their fans.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 05:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  The issue I take with these things are the bonus tracks.  I can understand releasing a jazzed-up version of an album for the vinyl enthusiasts, with gatefold covers and exclusive artwork.

But when you also package exclusive tracks, that seems to be screwing the consumer.  Say I'm a huge Radiohead fan and dished out $15 for the download.  It's a total slap in the face to then be expected to buy an $80 collector's set just to get 5 extra songs.  

And I think Brian's main point is that for $80 you can get a hell of a lot more from the record company that's "screwing" Radiohead than you can from the band that supposedly loves their fans.
if you were a "huge" radiohead fan, you probably would be buying this for your collector's set of other radiohead memorabilia that you had to have. for the average fan, this seems utterly ridiculous. im sure you can find all the songs to download somewhere - granted the quality wont be as good.

and how is radiohead screwing their fans. if you dont want the stuff - dont buy it. its as simple as that. they let you take the album for free - (or whatever you felt the price was worth) - but people still complain. it really doesnt matter if they priced it at $60 youd still have the same complaints how its not fair that you paid $15 and didnt get the other songs.

isnt that what b-sides and all other things are all about. you already own the damn album and then pay $20 on a ridiculous import single just to get the coveted song. (or so i did when i was younger). i have no regrets.

I look at this the entirely same way. If i had to have it, I'd buy it. but since its not the dandy warhols - and lord knows id pay any price for something like that - ill be passing.
HeyLa

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  Did your parents not hug you as an infant?
Maybe pa hugged him too much...just say'n.

nkotb

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 05:57:00 pm »
Personally, I'll download the songs if I feel like it, because I'm not a huge Radiohead fan.  Hell, I wouldn't have downloaded the new one if I wasn't able to pay $1 for it.

It's not even really worth arguing over.  Some of us don't seem to realize that not everyone can afford to catch a show every night of the week or buy every CD and vinyl single a band releases to have a complete collection, or that forcing a fan to buy three different versions of an album to get the one exclusive song each retailer is offering is in no way rewarding their loyal fan base.  And the few of us that can realize what a rip-off it is  ;)

If Radiohead actually cared, they take the Wilco approach, and offer free downloads to anyone that bought the one version of their CD in stores.  That's fan friendly.

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
 blah blah blah

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »
   but since its not the dandy warhols - and lord knows id pay any price for something like that - ill be passing.
I'd pay $80 for a limited-edition, deluxe boxed set of Zia McCabe's best "Get 'Em Out!" moments lovingly collected in a special, leather-bound volume.

$90!  $100, I'd pay.

Brian

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 06:07:00 pm »
why not just go the brian jonestown massacre approach and have every song available for download for FREE. it seems to be working for them.

screw the Wilco approach - this is even better for people who dont wanna pay anything.

Originally posted by nkotb:
  Personally, I'll download the songs if I feel like it, because I'm not a huge Radiohead fan.  Hell, I wouldn't have downloaded the new one if I wasn't able to pay $1 for it.

It's not even really worth arguing over.  Some of us don't seem to realize that not everyone can afford to catch a show every night of the week or buy every CD and vinyl single a band releases to have a complete collection, or that forcing a fan to buy three different versions of an album to get the one exclusive song each retailer is offering is in no way rewarding their loyal fan base.  And the few of us that can realize what a rip-off it is   ;)  

If Radiohead actually cared, they take the Wilco approach, and offer free downloads to anyone that bought the one version of their CD in stores.  That's fan friendly.

blah blah blah
[/b]
HeyLa

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »

but since its not the dandy warhols - and lord knows id pay any price for something like that - ill be passing.
I'd pay $80 for a limited-edition, deluxe boxed set of Zia McCabe's best "Get 'Em Out!" moments lovingly collected in a special, leather-bound volume.

$90!  $100, I'd pay.

Brian [/b]
you wouldnt be the only one. i know plenty of people that would pay obscene amounts of money for that.
HeyLa

nkotb

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »
As a consumer, I'd agree.  I'd love to be able to get all of my music free.  But let's face facts...that's not the way the world works.  I do I commend BJM for doing it that way...that takes a lot of balls and a real passion for getting your music out there.

I can't wait until bands charge you face value for  admission to their show, and then try to charge you extra for the encore.

why not just go the brian jonestown massacre approach and have every song available for download for FREE. it seems to be working for them.

screw the Wilco approach - this is even better for people who dont wanna pay anything.