Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 9926293 times)

Yada

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #25455 on: February 23, 2012, 05:37:28 pm »
No clue how this is reliable, but according to the Limerick Pub (Irish bar in Wheaton, MD) flogging molly are going to show up after their show at the Fillmore tomorrow night.

I call nans.

nkotb

« Reply #25456 on: February 23, 2012, 06:02:25 pm »
Remind me again why everyone didn't listen to her when she WAS played on the radio?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia2OkrWNmzE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_Me_Love_(Robyn_song)#Charts

Remind me again why Robyn isn't played on the radio?

Robyn is the opener for the two Coldplay shows at the Verizon Center this summer.

aglanixp

« Reply #25457 on: February 23, 2012, 09:35:38 pm »
Saturday May 5 2012

Black Cat and 9:30 Club present:
at U Street Music Hall:

LIGHT ASYLUM

$12 at U Street Music Hall / Doors at 7:00

http://www.youtube.com/embed/yJ6uoSm4XQU?rel=0

snailhook

« Reply #25458 on: February 24, 2012, 06:11:37 am »
Clavius Productions presents a night of bone-crushing riffage and bludgeoning psychedelic sludge at the Velvet Lounge. EYE, from Columbus, features Matt Bailey of the late, lamented Teeth of the Hydra, who Kohoutek had the pleasure of playing with in Philly years ago. Their tourmates and Columbus brethren, Lo-Pan, update Kyuss desert rock with a healthy dose of Midwest aggro attitude. This is Kohoutek's first DC show since opening for Roedelius in October, and probably last til the spring, so get your fill of pummeling space boogie while you get the chance.

Friday, March 2
Velvet Lounge
915 U St NW WDC
http://www.velvetloungedc.com/
202-462-3213
$8, doors at 9pm, 21+

Kohoutek (Philly/DC improv psych, Prophase Records)
Lo-Pan (Columbus, Small Stone Records)
EYE (Columbus, ex-Teeth of the Hydra/Deadsea)
Ambition Burning (NoVA hardcore/post-metal, think early Neurosis, ex-Durga Temple/VOG)

Kohoutek
http://www.claviusproductions.org/

?People interested in music that defies the pop song convention, music that challenges that part of your brain that lies dormant during most aural experiences, need a band like Kohoutek. This ensemble began their wildly meandering journey across the more peripheral realms of free-form psych rock a few years back and from the very beginning they seemed determined to try to cross swathes of interstellar drone, guitar squall and loose, slowly evolving improvisations of drum and bass grooves and squelchy electronics with tapestries of gravitationally flowing darkness.? (Mats Gustafsson)

?If I was still young and devious (not that I ever was devious, of course?) I?d be tempted to slap a United Artists label on this one, scuff up the sleeve and palm it off as a lost classic from 1971. Filed alongside a host of highly collectable Can, Man, Hawkwind and Amon Duul II LPs nobody would ever be the wiser. And that, to my mind, is no bad thing.? (Phil McMullen, Ptolemaic Terrascope)

Lo-Pan
http://lopandemic.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lo-Pan/130592378248?sk=wall

Talk about grabbing the brass ring when it comes within striking distance -- Columbus, Ohio's Lo-Pan waste not an ounce of opportunity to impress with their first new album for Small Stone (and third overall), Salvador, which truly brought new hope of "salvation" to the stoner rock masses upon its release in early 2011. Yes, the promising signs were already quite evident on the group's sophomore opus, Sasquanaut (reissued just prior to this third LP), but on Salvador, Lo-Pan achieve a fluid balance of guitar-driven muscle and songwriting immediacy that amazingly leaves its predecessor sounding somewhat unfocused by comparison -- and it was really anything but. Yet such is the power achieved by steel-plated nuggets like "El Dorado," "Deciduous," and "Chichen Itza," groove-driven efforts like "Bleeding Out" and "Generations," and even histrionic slow-burners like the seriously psychedelic "Bird of Prey" and convincingly bluesy "Struck Match," where Lo-Pan's remarkable singer, Jeff Martin, eerily sounds like a reborn Joe Lynn f**king Turner?in the best possible sense. It's ultimately that old-school sensibility and recurring ties to classic rock of the 1970s, wed to a modern sonic power standard, that fuel and freshen Lo-Pan's material to oftentimes alchemical, transcendent thresholds, and should allow them to stand out from the herd in today's crowded heavy rock scene. (Eduardo Rivadavia, AMG)

EYE
http://eyemusic.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/EYE00

Unbeknownst to most of the world, the little burb of Columbus, Ohio has been the epicenter of metal?s evolution for nearly a decade now. At the beginning of this new wave, there was a triumvirate of bands spanning the spectrum of heavy vibes: the epic virtuoso sprawl of Deadsea (who still exist), the visceral thrash of Teeth of the Hydra, and the freaky psychedelic low-end theories of Pretty Weapons. Though each represented their own charged statement as separate units, this cabal of musicians seemed to thrive as alchemists of metal?s core elements, constantly experimenting, collaborating and pushing each other towards a transcendental summit. It has never been the want for innovation or hipster trends (you won?t find odes to black metal or irrelevant growling) that have propelled them up that mountain as it has been the drive to align the spheres that dominate the genre into one pure and mammoth equinox. It was only matter of time before they joined forces.

EYE arrives as Columbus? latest supergroup, a trio consisting of bassist Matt Bailey (formerly of TOTH), guitarist Matt Auxier and drummer Brandon Smith (both of Pretty Weapons), who rightfully go above and beyond that peak with their self-released debut, Center of the Sun. At nearly 20 minutes, the title track alone would have sufficed as a perfect example of the exemplary evolution that has manifested in Columbus. The trio?s scope is massive and it?s no surprise that Adam ?Smitty? Smith (of Deadsea), who produced the record, also contributes organ, Moog and Arp to accentuate this infinite journey; his band?s Desiderata has become a foundation for this blend of cinematic metal exploration. Within that course, EYE locks the listener into a strand that incorporates everything from Floydian dark space and darker moons, the spastic improvisation of Amon Duul?s Yeti, some effects dabbling befitting Goblin soundtracks, and plenty of shreds just to keep your pulse at a maximum. Of course, any metal band who runs the gamut of influence (with Sabbath always being the bedrock) is subject to comparisons, but with much of today?s heavier heroes (Mastadon, I?m looking at you), the results of such meddling leads to disjointed, usually overdubbed garble with no clear intent. EYE can pride themselves on laying most of Center of the Sun down in one take, which makes the complex fusion changes of ?Rik Rite? something to behold. It?s there that the trio shows their chops, splitting hairs between the Mahavishnu Orchestra and the deep grooves of Iommi, Butler and Ward. Having seen EYE perform a number of times, it has become evident that these four songs have become a foundation of perfection. Each time they play live, they strive to make it heavier, more profound, than the last time. If there ever was an anthem for EYE, it would be the ominous march of ?Ursuper,? a synchronized headbang that becomes ingrained into the conscious as a sort of aural call-to-arms the more times you hear it.

As omniscient overseer, Auxier leads EYE through a number of insurmountable cosmic valleys and crag-filled sonic terrains with his guitar leads. It?s his forward vision. Even when he looks back to the scratch-riddled records of his cool uncle?s record collection, there?s a movement and a layer you didn?t notice before. The nuance and elaboration of those dominating spheres take on strange formations and deafening power. I?d like to think of Center of the Sun as its own towering monolith, surely to be eclipsed by Columbus metal?s next giant step. Whether that?s another EYE record or a further evolution is anyone?s guess. (Kevin J. Elliott, Agit Reader)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #25459 on: February 24, 2012, 11:23:41 am »
Robyn is the opener for the two Coldplay shows at the Verizon Center this summer.

Robyn who?
FUKIT

azaghal1981

« Reply #25460 on: February 24, 2012, 12:37:29 pm »
Washerwoman/Dead Leaf Echo/another opener whose name escapes me right now Velvet 3/8
Screen Vinyl Image/Foreign Resort/The Last Remaining Pinnacle/Teething Veils Velvet 3/9

Shoegaze overload!
Pretty psyched on Washerwoman after finally seeing them.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:41:30 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

hutch

« Reply #25461 on: February 24, 2012, 12:56:46 pm »
why does mark lanegan's website list the 930 club as the venue?

its at the howard theatre right?

killsaly

« Reply #25462 on: February 24, 2012, 01:08:04 pm »
Washerwoman/Dead Leaf Echo/another opener whose name escapes me right now Velvet 3/8
I dont know if I would rather go to this or the DLE show that the Water is opening in Baltimore. And you can never have a shoegaze overload, just ask Jag.

May 8
Trailer Park Boys - Lisner Auditorium
Im assuming they are in character the whole time...

blackredfellow

« Reply #25463 on: February 27, 2012, 12:29:03 pm »

May 8
Trailer Park Boys - Lisner Auditorium
Im assuming they are in character the whole time...
Interesting...

Could be worth it just to see bubbles live.

hutch

« Reply #25464 on: February 27, 2012, 01:23:14 pm »
mark lanegan now on 930 board and taken off howard... not only that but 6 pm doors on Friday. bummer for me.. sounds like an early show

on plus side i think price went down $5
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:28:08 pm by hutch »

travelinbeat

« Reply #25465 on: February 27, 2012, 01:27:57 pm »
Rob Zombie & Megadeath at MPP 5/13

Nitekrawler

« Reply #25466 on: February 27, 2012, 02:36:35 pm »
This friday night (Friday, 3/2)
$ MONEYTOWN $
Little Miss Whiskey's Golden Dollar (1104 H St., NE DC)
10pm-3am, no cover
lots and lots of drink options and a killer soundsystem for the serious dancers
w/ your host, DJ Nitekrawler, and special guest DJ:

Skeme Richards (Rock Steady Crew/Hot Peas & Butta, Philly)

About our guest:

Hailing from Philadelphia a city known for producing internationally known DJ's such as Jazzy Jeff, Cash Money and King Brit, Skeme Richards has put in nearly 25 years of DJing and producing. Diggin and spinning everything from Funk & Soul, Classics, Hip Hop, Breaks and all things funky he continuously strives to seperate himself from the pack. Recently focusing heavily on the bboy scene, Skeme has brought a new edge and sound with rocking more raw funk 45's than the traditional breaks. Since becoming a DJ for the world famous Rock Steady Crew, Skeme has had the opportunity to play jams and be heard across the globe. Not limiting himself to bboy events only, he is also a first-class party DJ that keeps the attention of even the trendiest crowds. Skeme has mastered the art of keeping dance floors packed by setting the tone early, and reading his crowd properly. In addition to DJing, Skeme has also been producing since the late 80's and along with his partner Fredy Blast make up the team, Sesion31. The duo has worked with artists such as MF Doom, Bahamadia, DJ Cash Money, and Steph Pockets who has both a #1 single and album in Japan.

Stillwater

« Reply #25467 on: February 27, 2012, 04:51:16 pm »
Destroyer
6/16
9:30 Club

;D

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #25468 on: February 27, 2012, 05:49:55 pm »