Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 9991443 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #28260 on: December 28, 2012, 03:15:16 pm »
Done with the album shows. Bob Mould was a good note to end on for me. Unless of course The Catherine Wheel decides to tour Ferment or something.

so you're done unless its an album you really like....

ok then!

I'd see the Breeders do Last Splash (my favorite of theirs even though I realize Pod is the critics' darling).. but I'd see them if they came through town anyways... absence makes the heart grow fonder and its been like 15 years since I saw the Amps at the 930. I should not have missed the Breeders last time they came through...

azaghal1981

« Reply #28261 on: December 28, 2012, 03:56:31 pm »
I think that's the only one.

And doubt it will ever happen.
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #28262 on: December 28, 2012, 05:43:02 pm »
I think the appeal of playing one album is when a band has a bunch of albums but all but one sucks.  You know that they will be playing their best stuff. 

I guess Stone Roses is a band I could see doing one album. 

I have only been to one show that a band did an album.  The Pixies doing Doolittle. Which is their best ablum but I think they would have been better of skipping the b-sides and doing more songs from other albums. 

atomicfront

« Reply #28263 on: December 28, 2012, 05:44:23 pm »
I think the appeal of playing one album is when a band has a bunch of albums but all but one sucks.  You know that they will be playing their best stuff. 

I guess Stone Roses is a band I could see doing one album.   Teenage Fanclub doing "Bandwagonesque".   Primal Scream doing "Screamadilica" ...wait a second I already saw that show back in 1992.

I have only been to one show that a band did an album.  The Pixies doing Doolittle. Which is their best ablum but I think they would have been better of skipping the b-sides and doing more songs from other albums. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #28264 on: December 28, 2012, 06:01:54 pm »
you know . . . you could have just added that to your first post.

hutch

« Reply #28265 on: December 28, 2012, 06:05:25 pm »
I'd see just about any band do entire albums.. I like the concept..

I don't get people that object to it.. as if playing songs from different albums is any more original or spontaneous than playing songs from a single album... If the album is great what is the problem?

Breeders TK is also a really good album.. I don't have Mountain Battles yet...

azaghal1981

« Reply #28266 on: December 28, 2012, 08:45:50 pm »

I don't get people that object to it.. as if playing songs from different albums is any more original or spontaneous than playing songs from a single album... If the album is great what is the problem?

You know the setlist going in and the element of surprise is spoiled.
Plus, it is obviously a ploy to sell tickets.
احمد

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #28267 on: December 28, 2012, 08:49:50 pm »
but what if the breeders played the entire album in the style of matisyahu?  that would be interesting.  oops, sorry sweetcell.

hutch

« Reply #28268 on: December 28, 2012, 09:12:20 pm »

You know the setlist going in and the element of surprise is spoiled.
Plus, it is obviously a ploy to sell tickets.

Spoken like a true hipster.

Ploy to sell tickets? The horror.

Trust me.. there is plenty more surprise and pleasure in hearing all the deep tracks on these albums- most of which were never performed live back in the day- than in hearing the standard tunes most bands play night after night (the 2 hits from this album, 3 hits from that, 3 hits from that, one deep track, a cover in the encore, the HUGE "hit",  done)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:17:02 pm by hutch »

azaghal1981

« Reply #28269 on: December 28, 2012, 09:19:40 pm »
I think encores should be scrapped if that helps.
My respect for a band grows a little bit when they leave the stage the first time and the house music comes on.

And where exactly is the surprise if you know that they are going to play x album going in assuming you know the order of x album?

Nostalgia trip, sure. Surprise? Not really.

I have seen some good full album shows (Burma, Mould, Devo right off the top of my head) but throughout all those album sets, I thought "OK hurry up and finish the LP so you can play some other stuff." If you want to hear an album in full, just kick back and put it on.
احمد

betao

« Reply #28270 on: December 28, 2012, 09:24:36 pm »
Some albums are better meant to be played in a certain order, like a concept album like NIN's The Downward Spiral would be awesome to see live from start to finish.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #28271 on: December 28, 2012, 09:29:39 pm »
Some albums are better meant to be played in a certain order, like a concept album like NIN's The Downward Spiral would be awesome to see live from start to finish.

he got most of it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NJay783/videos?query=wave+goodbye

hutch

« Reply #28272 on: December 28, 2012, 09:50:49 pm »
I think encores should be scrapped if that helps.
My respect for a band grows a little bit when they leave the stage the first time and the house music comes on.

And where exactly is the surprise if you know that they are going to play x album going in assuming you know the order of x album?

Nostalgia trip, sure. Surprise? Not really.

I have seen some good full album shows (Burma, Mould, Devo right off the top of my head) but throughout all those album sets, I thought "OK hurry up and finish the LP so you can play some other stuff." If you want to hear an album in full, just kick back and put it on.

The surprise is in hearing the song that you never in a million years expected to hear live because it was never done live before the tour in question.

It is more of a surprise than hearing the same songs they always play, no?

Of course one can put on the album but to hear them performing the song live is very different.

Even with non-album set lists you can also look on setlist.fm and burn yourself a CD of the setlist of the show you will see...

I guess you need to delude yourself into thinking you are seeing something "spontaneous".. something that was never rehearsed.. something they didn't do exactly the same the night before in Philly will do the next night in NYC...

hutch

« Reply #28273 on: December 28, 2012, 10:05:53 pm »
ok folks..enough off topic commentary

;D

Taj Mahal Trio
State Theatre
Feb 9

azaghal1981

« Reply #28274 on: December 28, 2012, 11:23:42 pm »
I was hoping that said Taj Mahal Travellers for a 2nd.
احمد