Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 950289 times)

eltee

  • Member
  • Posts: 3809
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2005, 07:53:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by lily1:
  i think they would be better suited for iota or the black cat.
 devlins opened for hothouse flowers a few years ago at the birchmere.
   
Quote
Originally posted by El Tee:
  Hey Seth any rumors about Nada Surf or The Devlins?
[/b]
Oh btw, I did mean as an opener at the club. Shout out to O'Mankie - Devlins on the REM bill in Dublin...

kosmo vinyl

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 10831
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2005, 09:22:00 am »
What would be neato is a Forum Mixtape Live show... Off the top of my head the line-up could be something like this.
 
 Washington Social Club
 The Features
 Splitsville
 Cartel
 De Novo Dahl
 Big Meanie
 Pharmacy Prophets
 Your Pal
 Dutch Cousins
 Honeychuck
 Abbey Vain
 Exit Clov (acoustic in the backbar)
 
 I'm sure there are other staph bands and local groups that have been overlooked, enough I'm sure for a sidestage show at DC9.
 
 Now in a perfect world, this show would be a kickoff for a Playtone Records Cavalcade of Stars style tour, called "Take Action Against Bad Music", for those band ready to hit the road.
T.Rex

Bartelby

  • Member
  • Posts: 712
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2005, 09:46:00 am »
Kosmo: That would be a dream line-up; and in the spirit of "local" - since they're fan favs, really great guys and creative musicians/lyricists - could we add Evenout and Justin Jones?

Fico

  • Guest
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2005, 11:26:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  What would be neato is a Forum Mixtape Live show... Off the top of my head the line-up could be something like this.
 
 Washington Social Club
 The Features
 Splitsville
 Cartel
 De Novo Dahl
 Big Meanie
 Pharmacy Prophets
 Your Pal
 Dutch Cousins
 Honeychuck
 Abbey Vain
 Exit Clov (acoustic in the backbar)
 
 I'm sure there are other staph bands and local groups that have been overlooked, enough I'm sure for a sidestage show at DC9.
 
 Now in a perfect world, this show would be a kickoff for a Playtone Records Cavalcade of Stars style tour, called "Take Action Against Bad Music", for those band ready to hit the road.
Are all these local bands?? I'm suprised Phaser, Carlsonics and Monopoli were left out..they seem to be well liked by the DC locals...

kosmo vinyl

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 10831
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2005, 11:33:00 am »
These are not all local bands, The Features & De Novo Dahl are from Nashville and Splitsville is from Baltimore. As I said the list was off the top of my head and does reflect what I like, but also what other forumites prefer.  I added The Features because they are a national band with a buzz they would draw in people that don't follow the local scene.  Plus, their CD is damn fine and getting better and better with repeated listens.  All the bands you mentioned were bouncing around in the cranium just not at the forefront.  It could easily become a two night festival when you start adding in those other bands as well as The Frauds, Starbelly and Cliff Hillis.
T.Rex

eltee

  • Member
  • Posts: 3809
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2005, 11:39:00 am »
Hey Seth,
 Pete Yorn...?

Fico

  • Guest
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2005, 12:04:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  These are not all local bands, The Features & De Novo Dahl are from Nashville and Splitsville is from Baltimore. As I said the list was off the top of my head and does reflect what I like, but also what other forumites prefer.  I added The Features because they are a national band with a buzz they would draw in people that don't follow the local scene.  Plus, their CD is damn fine and getting better and better with repeated listens.  All the bands you mentioned were bouncing around in the cranium just not at the forefront.  It could easily become a two night festival when you start adding in those other bands as well as The Frauds, Starbelly and Cliff Hillis.
Cool...I'm definitely catching up on local bands and other bands with buzz..I'll keep these names in mind..thxs.

eltee

  • Member
  • Posts: 3809
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2005, 01:16:00 pm »
I could add a few from NC if the proposed show is not limited to locals...

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

  • Member
  • Posts: 5970
  • JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2005, 01:38:00 pm »
Alot of my requests were already mentioned, so:
 
 Dinosaur Jr.
 Daft Punk

ggw

  • Member
  • Posts: 13964
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2005, 01:44:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Sayonaro:
  - could we add Evenout?
For the love of God - no.

HoyaSaxa03

  • Member
  • Posts: 7032
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2005, 03:06:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by ggw‚?Ę:
   
Quote
Originally posted by Sayonaro:
  - could we add Evenout?
For the love of God - no. [/b]
I had never heard of these guys, so I went to their website and found some quotes they have in their "press" section:
 
  The Washington Post (Washington DC)
 ‚??evenout is right on top of the hard-yet melodic rock wave that‚??s dominating radio these days‚?¶‚?Ě
 
 The Washington Times (Washington DC)
 ‚??evenout‚??s sound is very much in tune with modern pop tastes‚?Ě
 
 Charlottesville Hook (Charlottesville, VA)
 ‚??evenout is a harder-than-thou hard rock group, with the vocal kicks of a Chris Cornell prodigy, but also with some pop stylings to bring in the chicks.‚?Ě
 
 Guitar.com
 ‚??[Drown Inside] Produced by Steve Haigler (Fuel, Pixies), the band lays down some very radio friendly fare, which is probably why they're getting airplay on some of the mid-Atlantic's largest rock radio stations‚?Ě
 
 sounds right up my alley!
(o|o)

Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2005, 03:09:00 pm »
They're chick magnets, just like you, Guiny, and Sonick.

Bartelby

  • Member
  • Posts: 712
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2005, 05:49:00 pm »
Yeah, but even chicks can hear.  
 
 Hoya:  You might like them; they do a HUGE range of stuff from love-lorn vocals with acoustic guitar only to some Velvet Revolver-sounding, heavy-on-the-drums rock. ..and they vary their setlists too depending on mood and venue.
 
 BTW:  I'm never totally grossed-out by bands - even if I don't like their sound - I still respect them for having the courage and vision to go for their dreams.  
 
 Of all the sour-pusses on this forum who HATE some bands, I'm always curious which posters can read music or play an instrument or sing.  It takes brass ones to stand up in front of an audience and perform; 'cause one is vulnerable to ridicule in so many ways.  I  have studied music, and play the guitar and flute and sang in various choruses and choirs - but I have HORRIBLE stage fright, so I really admire anyone who can do it.  Just my thought for the day...(No jokes about Jethro Tull cover bands either; but I'm still lookin' for one...)

sonickteam2

  • Guest
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2005, 05:51:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Sam Pulsize:
  They're chick magnets, just like you, Guiny, and Sonick.
why you bring me into this?  i dont even like chicks!

ggw

  • Member
  • Posts: 13964
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2005, 05:53:00 pm »
I still respect Evenout for having the courage and vision to go for their dreams of being the greatest Creed clone in the Baltimore/Washington Metropolitan region.