Author Topic: SONIC YOUTH ROLL CALL - Early Show  (Read 15851 times)

bearman🐻

Re: SONIC YOUTH ROLL CALL - Early Show
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2006, 10:10:00 am »
Oh well. I'm just glad I got to see them in Rome the time they played "Candle", "Kissability", "Silver Rocket", "Bull in the Heather", "Cotton Crown", "Eric's Trip", AND "Kool Thing". I wish they'd dig out a few more older songs.

Applesauce

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2006, 10:19:00 am »
Does someone have the 2nd show's setlist?

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2006, 11:39:00 am »
oh, great.  well that's what i was afraid of.  the first show definitely picked up about half way through or so, and i can imagine that the second show was higher energy - they tend to be that way.  and that's it.  i'm not going to launch into a huge complaint here or anything like that because it isn't the biggest deal in the world, but the bottom line is that the club shouldn't go about saying that adding another show won't change the performance.  they obviously didn't use the same setlist between shows.  additionally, SY strikes me as the type of group that would have started a show at 6:30 and jammed much later than the time they were instructed to go off.  aside from all that, it's my personal philosophy that they shouldn't be putting a cap time on music, BUT...it's a business.  and that i have no say in.  right now i'm grateful enough that i actually got to see them.  

aside, 100% was AMAZING.  Thurston was great, he played literally on top of us for most of the show.  got some great pictures.  the setlist for the first show reads as follows...
 (and if anyone has one from the second show, please, let's compare)

Jams
 Pink Steam
 Reena
 Incinerate
 Drunken
 Lights Out
 Rapture? <---- that song was beautiful
 Neutral
 pch
 Rats
 100%
 What A Waste
 ----------------
 Turquoise Boy
 Or
 ----------------
 Shaking Hell

ggw

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2006, 11:42:00 am »
Is it true that Malkmus and Nastanovich were in attendance?

Applesauce

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2006, 12:02:00 pm »
thanks Betty. Does someone have the 2nd show list?

snailhook

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2006, 12:03:00 pm »
didn't see them, but mark fucking ibold was on bass!  

the second show's setlist was better, so i'm glad i saw that one instead (i'm pretty bored of "drunken butterfly" and "100%", which are two of the most common live songs). i still don't have the new album, but the set was all new songs, except for "pattern recognition", which was third i believe.

first encore was "eric's trip"/"shaking hell". the latter was the highlight for me because in the 18 or so times i've seen this band, that was the first time i've seen that particular song. its darkness also brought some catharsis after the otherwise peppy and upbeat new material.

second encore was "brother james", which absolutely ripped.

although i like the new songs, they are all mostly direct and similar (regarding tempo and mood). even SY's so-called "pop" record (dirty) contained some darker hues (like "theresa's soundworld" and "wish fulfillment"). my initial impression is that it isn't that dynamic and wide-ranging. i'll pick it up soon and then pass judgment after i listen to it a few times.

meeper_99

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »
nastanovich was definitely there, didn't see malkmus though

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2006, 12:18:00 pm »
god damnit.

Applesauce

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2006, 01:03:00 pm »
thanks for the 2nd show update. sounds a lot like the first set, except I'm pissed I didn't hear brother james.

Chulahoma

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2006, 01:27:00 pm »
i'm currently at work right now, but i have the second show setlist at my house.  i'll post it up later today

Applesauce

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2006, 01:33:00 pm »
Thanks Bizou.  This is a site that I think everyone would appreciate who is an SY fan:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/tourstats.html

Here's the thing

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2006, 01:35:00 pm »
No positive comments about Kim at all? I think she is still getting it done. Anyone else?

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2006, 01:52:00 pm »
If we were both single, I'd hit it.

Originally posted by phillidan:
  No positive comments about Kim at all? I think she is still getting it done. Anyone else?

pj

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2006, 02:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by meeper_99:
  nastanovich was definitely there, didn't see malkmus though
Weird, I did see a guy that looked like Nastanovich, but kind of just shrugged it off after seeing Ibold on bass. Thought maybe it was just because my mind was on Pavement already.

tobyd

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2006, 02:32:00 pm »
Someone yelled Summer Babe in the crowd last night during the first show.  Made me laugh for sure.  Ibold was totally great last night and really makes a big impact.  He has that signature laid back style that really works when the other guitarists are all loco.  I hope this is the band that they stick with for a while.  Mark's as good a vibe as ever and perfect in Sonic Youth.