Author Topic: Echo roll call  (Read 7938 times)

bearman🐻

Echo roll call
« on: May 09, 2005, 12:47:00 pm »
Anyone going up to see Echo & the Bunnymen in Philly on Thursday? I've got a sofa to sleep on up there and it's hard to say no...they haven't played DC in four years and I have a feeling their festival set at HFStival won't do them justice. Plus, if they are put up against Social D on the time slot, I cannot miss Mike Ness and co. Also, has anyone been to the Theater of Living Arts? Is it a decent venue?

twangirl

Re: Echo roll call
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 12:53:00 pm »
TLA is OK. It's right on South St in the middle of all kinds of things, maybe 700 or so capacity. Decent stage & PA, floor is kind of sloped so it's easy to see from pretty much anywhere. I've seen 16 Horspower there and also Laibach in the last year or two and would definitely go back if there was something there I felt I had to see.

distance

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 12:57:00 pm »
i'm going to either philly and lancaster... or just lancaster.
 i won't be at the hfstival, though.

hopefully one or both of the shows will be better than the 930 show in 01.  the crowd totally ruined that show.  probably my worst experience @ 930.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 01:00:00 pm »
Wow, only 700 or so capacity? So it's comparable to Black Cat size?

I thought the Echo show in 2001 at 9:30 was one of the best I've seen them do, what was wrong with the crowd? I was right up front and thus didn't have to deal with the people thankfully. I'd be curious to hear your experience.

twangirl

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 01:17:00 pm »
OK so I underestimated. TLA capacity is listed at 810.

distance

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 01:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  I thought the Echo show in 2001 at 9:30 was one of the best I've seen them do, what was wrong with the crowd? I was right up front and thus didn't have to deal with the people thankfully. I'd be curious to hear your experience.
i was more towards the middle/back.
 it seemed that being a friday night the crowd was there more for the social aspect.  it seemed like a lot of people were like 'hey i remember that band from college' and decided to go to the show to socialize.  people were constantly talking throughout the show.. no matter where i shifted to in that section of the crowd, people were having conversations directly beside me.  it looked like yuppie central.  i moved way up front for the last encore and it was better, but overall it was just dreadful.  i probably haven't been to as many shows as some people on this board, but i've been to somewhere between 30 and 40 at 930 and this was by far the rudest crowd i ever encountered and like i said, it was probably my worst experience.  i don't really ever try to get up front at shows and mostly hang around halfway back or farther, and i've never experienced the percent of the crowd being as overwhelmingly incourteous to the band and others there as this crowd was.

hostiledm

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 01:33:00 pm »
I had that problem at the last Snow Patrol show. Social Event for rude people.

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 01:53:00 pm »
Ouch...glad that I didn't have to endure the loud/rude folks. The last Echo show I saw was at Webster Hall in NYC and it was a pretty good crowd. Thanks for the info on TLA, glad that it's a pretty small venue. The show isn't even sold out, but I'm glad I got a ticket now. I'll be sure to give folks a report.

Bags

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 02:15:00 pm »
My travel schedule doesn't allow me to see them anywhere.     :(   Enjoy for me....

Bags

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 02:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by hostiledm:
  I had that problem at the last Snow Patrol show. Social Event for rude people.
And The Wrens at the Black Cat was the most unbearable show I've ever been at, crowd-wise.

bearman🐻

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 02:22:00 pm »
For me it was Low at the Black Cat earlier this year and Air in 2001. I was ready to go totally ballistic.

Bags

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 02:32:00 pm »
Can anyone post the Echo tour dates?  I cannot get on to their website, it keeps timing out....

bearman🐻

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 02:49:00 pm »
Thu 05/12/05   Philadelphia, PA  Theatre Of Living Arts  
 Fri 05/13/05   Lancaster, PA  The Chameleon  
 Sat 05/14/05   Baltimore, MD  M&T Bank Stadium

myuman

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 09:05:00 pm »
Echo would almost certainly play the b stage at HFS... with almost no planning, you can get right up front.  Interpol would have to be another b stager as well as Stereophonics and I'm hoping Foo Fighters and/or NY Dolls.  Anyhow, just wait to see 'em on Saturday.

distance

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 09:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by myuman:
  Echo would almost certainly play the b stage at HFS... with almost no planning, you can get right up front.  Interpol would have to be another b stager as well as Stereophonics and I'm hoping Foo Fighters and/or NY Dolls.  Anyhow, just wait to see 'em on Saturday.
i saw someone posted a time schedule and all the main acts are playing on one stage.
 30-45 minute sets for most except for coldplay/foo fighters.
 bunnymen are 330ish? 345ish? i forget exactly.  i heard the 3ish time other than on this schedule from a reliable source.