Author Topic: When I Went To This Show, I didn't Expect This  (Read 4875 times)

Celeste

Re: When I Went To This Show, I didn't Expect This
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2003, 12:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  When I went to see Billy Bragg and Wilco singing all that Arlo Guthrie stuff I didn't expect to be subjected to such utter utter shite.
I believe that would be *Woody* Guthrie. Big difference, there.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2003, 01:17:00 pm »
When I went to see Railroad Jerk in Philly in 95 or so, I didn't expect REM and Grant Lee Buffalo to show up at the club and keep the place open til 3 in the morning for an All-Star Jam.

mankie

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2003, 02:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

When I went to see Billy Bragg and Wilco singing all that Arlo Guthrie stuff I didn't expect to be subjected to such utter utter shite.
I believe that would be *Woody* Guthrie. Big difference, there. [/b]
Either way, it was crap..and the downfall of an excellent singer-songwriter.

Celeste

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2003, 02:37:00 pm »
I'm sure Billy Bragg himself would disagree with you, as would numerous critics.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2003, 03:04:00 pm »
Billy Bragg's descent into mediocrity predated his working with Wilco by 10 years with the release of Worker's Playtime in 1998. From that album on, his work has been hit and miss, whereas his first two albums were solid throughout.

I think a majority of music lovers would agree that Wilco managed to recover quite nicely from their brush with Mr. Bragg based on their fine followups, Summer Teeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

mankie

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2003, 04:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Billy Bragg's descent into mediocrity predated his working with Wilco by 10 years with the release of Worker's Playtime in 1998. From that album on, his work has been hit and miss, whereas his first two albums were solid throughout.

I think a majority of music lovers would agree that Wilco managed to recover quite nicely from their brush with Mr. Bragg based on their fine followups, Summer Teeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
Personally couldn't give a toss about Wilco, they've been complete bobbins from day one...they are responsible for making Billy Bragg shite though, and that is unforgiveable....you are right that the first two albums are his best work, I'll give you that.

allmy$to930

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2003, 04:56:00 pm »
When I went to see Third Eye Blind, I didn't expect to see the 9:30 Club staff making fun of me!

Celeste

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2003, 04:59:00 pm »
  Personally couldn't give a toss about Wilco, they've been complete bobbins from day one...they are responsible for making Billy Bragg shite though, and that is unforgiveable....you are right that the first two albums are his best work, I'll give you that.
if your Billy Bragg can be made "shite" by a band as purportedly shitty as you say Wilco is, then that makes him sound pretty weak

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2003, 05:13:00 pm »
When I went to the Cracker show, I didn't expect to spend 8 hours in the Howard University Hospital to give me stitches for a wound suffered from an unprompted beer bottle attack from someone who had drank about 10 too many.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2003, 05:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by allmy$to930:
  When I went to see Third Eye Blind, I didn't expect to see the 9:30 Club staff making fun of me!
you didn't?

when i signed up for this board, i didn't expect that wilco/billy bragg and gbv were the only bands open for extended discussions
o/\o

Celeste

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2003, 05:25:00 pm »
When I went to see the Grateful Dead, I didn't expect to see a guy get dragged off by security with his bare ass skinned on the concrete stairs as he defiantly jerked off. (I guess I was naiIve.)

ratioci nation

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2003, 05:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  when i signed up for this board, i didn't expect that wilco/billy bragg and gbv were the only bands open for extended discussions
you missed the halcyon days when the only band discussed around here was coldplay

markie

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2003, 05:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
 you missed the halcyon days when the only band discussed around here was coldplay
didnt they record with layne Stayley?

mankie

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2003, 05:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  When I went to the Cracker show, I didn't expect to spend 8 hours in the Howard University Hospital to give me stitches for a wound suffered from an unprompted beer bottle attack from someone who had drank about 10 too many.
Oh yeah, sorry about that..and I wasn't drunk, just an excellent shot!!  ;)

flawd101

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2003, 06:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

I believe that would be *Woody* Guthrie. Big difference, there. [/b]
you just wanted to say "woody" .....