Author Topic: Big Yawn is a Joke  (Read 30087 times)

Celeste

Big Yawn is a Joke
« on: December 22, 2004, 11:13:00 am »
Case in point:
 http://www.bigyawn.net/cdreview.php?id=205

Other case in point:
 http://www.bigyawn.net/cdreview.php?id=190

I'm not that fond of the "Van Lear Rose" album, and I'm not a huge fan of Ringenberg, either, but you can't call a page of some snot nosed indie hipster wanna-be's rant against country a music review.

Just because you little twats "[n]ever gave Johnny Cash a second concern" doesn't mean true music fans with a little bit of depth don't seek out music beyond what the pseudo hip/indie rags spoon feed them...and don't align yourselves with Rick Rubin, you're not in his league (not that I think he's all that, I just think you're so NOT all that that)

To refer to Jason Ringenberg as "this Ringenberg guy" just shows that the writer has no music knowledge, depth or backgroun at all.

To say country music is a "genre known for its self-loathing" also reflects a lack of real background, as well as a lack of perception that there are other genres that could much better fit that decription.

Big Yawn is a club of second-rate wanna-bes who have no depth of knowledge and commit the worst crime of all: closed-mindedness.

Until you guys can actually get knowledgeable writers with some real insights, your site will never be a respectable place for music info.

Random Citizen

Re: Big Yawn is a Joke
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 11:15:00 am »
Then why don't you e-mail redsock and become a contributor? Oh wait, that would take effort.    :roll:

Also, every writer has an e-mail address listed on the review page...so why not shoot off a rant to them?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 11:20:00 am »
Ouch

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 11:25:00 am »
Why would someone want to contribute to something they have no respect for?   :roll:  

Originally posted by Random Citizen:
  Then why don't you e-mail redsock and become a contributor? Oh wait, that would take effort.     :roll:  

Celeste

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 11:26:00 am »
  Then why don't you e-mail redsock and become a contributor? Oh wait, that would take effort.     :roll:  
I don't purport to be the person expert enough or knowledgable enough to write good music reviews. I just know a well-written one or a badly-written one when I see one. And, furthermore, writing is part of what I do for a LIVING and I get PAID for it. I don't really care to do it for free in my spare time.

Also, every writer has an e-mail address listed on the review page...so why not shoot off a rant to them?
I like to go to the man in charge. Plus I'm sick of the hot-shot attitude like some folks on here are so in-touch and know so much about music, when you don't know shit.

thirsty moore

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 11:30:00 am »
I never got that feeling from this board.  The board's tastes seem to be pretty middle of the road.  

Originally posted by Celeste:
 Plus I'm sick of the hot-shot attitude like some folks on here are so in-touch and know so much about music, when you don't know shit.

Random Citizen

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 11:32:00 am »
  I like to go to the man in charge. Plus I'm sick of the hot-shot attitude like some folks on here are so in-touch and know so much about music, when you don't know shit.
Then again, why don't you e-mail redsock? Last time I checked, he's not in charge of the 9:30 Club message board.

Frankly, if you want to bitch about something, I could care less. It's the nameless, "some folks who..." bullshit that weakens your argument. Instead of going to the source, i.e. the writers of the reviews, the editor of the webzine, or the webzine's messageboard.

And if you're a writer for a living, I'd hope you write better prose for your employer than you do in this thread.

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 11:38:00 am »
If you have no respect for something, then why do you care if you think it sucks? And why do you bother wasting a moment of life bitching and whining about it? I know you're entitled to an opinion...and so is the person that wrote the review. You might disagree, but that doesn't mean the whole site is crap. Read around and expand your horizons.

SalParadise

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
wow

Celeste

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 11:40:00 am »

Then again, why don't you e-mail redsock? Last time I checked, he's not in charge of the 9:30 Club message board.

Frankly, if you want to bitch about something, I could care less. It's the nameless, "some folks who..." bullshit that weakens your argument. Instead of going to the source, i.e. the writers of the reviews, the editor of the webzine, or the webzine's messageboard.

And if you're a writer for a living, I'd hope you write better prose for your employer than you do in this thread. [/b]
I said writing is PART of what I do, and as a matter of fact, I got a message from someone telling me my post was well-written...

I'm not trying to win an argument ("bullshit that weakens your argument") I'm just reacting to a website I feel does a disservice with its reviews. We talk about albums and shows on here rather than e-mailing the band or the label, don't we?

Maybe Big Yawn should position itself more up front as closed-minded and anti-music, instead of "Oxygen for the music-starved mind"...what does that mean anyway? You don't need "oxygen" when you're starving, you need FOOD...and rating music with ZZZZs kind of implies that it puts you to sleep...so I guess the LOWER Big Yawn rates an album, the less likely it is to put someone to sleep? That makes sense since the ones they seem to like are run of the mill indie drivel, while anything outside of their little circle of comfort they rate lower.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 11:42:00 am »
This forum board has been used numerous times to promote Big Yawn events, and promote Big Yawn itself.

Since this is the case, why is it not a legitimate thing to do, if you have a criticism of Big Yawn, to criticize it on the same 9:30 Board on which it has been promoted ad nauseum?

If someone has a personal problem with a certain writer or editor, sure ot would make sense to email them personally about it. But if you have a critique of something out there on the web, particularly something that gets mentioned here endlessly, why not critique it here?

Why don't the writers for Big Yawn just email their music reviews to the artists they are critiquing, instead of putting them out there on a webzine?

And if you're a writer for a living, I'd hope you write better prose for your employer than you do in this thread. [/b]

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 11:44:00 am »
Looks like we've got another thread on our hands where Rhett and/or Celeste rub it in on how much more enlightened and open minded they are than anyone else on this board.

It's been a while.  I was wondering when we would see another one of these!

Btw, I write e-mails at work and occasionally even help out with a proposal or web document.  Guess that means I'm a professional writer too!

Random Citizen

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 11:45:00 am »
Originally posted by chaz:
  Looks like we've got another thread on our hands where Rhett and/or Celeste rub it in on how much more enlightened and open minded they are than anyone else on this board.

And therein lies the irony...

walkonby

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 11:49:00 am »
because attention is a drug which is hard to beat.

Celeste

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 11:50:00 am »
Look, I did not post my comments to hurt anyone's feeling...I held back when I first saw the Ringenberg review, but this now was too much.

It's not a matter of *opinion*

If those reviews were well-written with an understanding of the background and history of the artists, and without a blatant announcement of disdain for the genre at the outset, but found legitimate weaknesses in the albums and expressed those well, I wouldn't have been compelled to voice my opinion in this way...but, sadly, they were not.

If you kiddies can't take it, then I don't know what to tell you...