Author Topic: EMusic RIP  (Read 5174 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
EMusic RIP
« on: October 09, 2003, 08:50:00 am »
It's not dead yet... But it's certainly DEAD to me!  I will be doing some serious download now.

EMusic has been sold and has new price plans, both of which are no bargin!  Gone is the nice unlimited downloading feature replaced with limits. Here are the new plans

Under EMusic Basic, you will be
 billed $9.99 per month for access to the service with no
 minimum monthly commitment, but you will be limited to no
 more than 40 downloads during your monthly billing cycle.  

EMusic Premium.  Designed for our most
 active subscribers, this plan allows you to download
 up to 300 tracks per month (approximately 25 albums)
 for a monthly charge of $50.00 - a price of just
 16 cents per track - with no minimum monthly commitment.
T.Rex

sonickteam2

Re: EMusic RIP
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 08:54:00 am »
Do you know when this is supposed to go into effect?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 09:37:00 am »
10/8/03 is the day they turn the lights out at Emusic...

I wonder what Napster 2.0 will cost and what will be available.
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 09:43:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
Roxio's Napster will offer both a store and a subscription service, as will soon-to-be-launched alternatives from RealNetworks Inc. and AOL Time Warner Inc.'s America Online.

Although they mimic the traditional way of buying music, the stores offer one significant improvement for music fans: Customers can buy individual songs, not just full CDs or singles chosen by the record label. But there are downsides too. Not every artist or song is available, and the tracks are wrapped in electronic locks that limit their ability to be copied or transferred.

Subscription services are a more radical departure from conventional music buying. They offer an unlimited amount of music for a flat monthly fee, but most require that the music be played on a computer. And they typically cut off access to those songs if a customer cancels a subscription.

The technology behind Roxio's Napster was built around an overhauled version of Pressplay, the online music service that Vivendi Universal's Universal Music Group and Sony Corp.'s Sony Music Entertainment sold to Roxio in May. Subscribers of the new Napster would pay $10 a month to play an unlimited number of songs from an Internet jukebox or download "tethered" versions to be played when they're not online. It would cost about $1 to move a tethered song to a portable device or burn it onto a CD.

By this time next year, Napster executives hope to enhance the service by allowing subscribers to move an unlimited number of songs onto selected portable devices and take them wherever they go. But that depends on Microsoft Corp. delivering the necessary technology.

http://www.latimes.com/la-fi-music7oct07,1,4071903.story

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 10:07:00 am »
  10/8/03 is the day they turn the lights out at Emusic...

Well, how come i didnt get any kind of email or anything.  Did my membership just change without notice?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 10:23:00 am »
oops that should be 11/8/03 and the email annoucing the new service was sent out this morning...

so napster will be doa... whats the point of renaming a already brain dead distribution system.
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 10:47:00 am »
  oops that should be 11/8/03 and the email annoucing the new service was sent out this morning...

cool, just got it, its on my old email, thanks for the post though, cause i never check that one.  Looks like i have one month of hardcore madd crazy downloading to do!

markie

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 11:21:00 am »
can I subscribe for a month then cancel?

I better by nice to Jadetree again, I guess.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 11:36:00 am »
it's gonna be tough downloading stuff for the next month, loads of people are going whole hog including me...

the backlash has already started so it will be interesting to see if anything shakes out...
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 11:42:00 am »
emusic always did seem to be offering a lot for a small fee....... Perhaps, just a higher subscription fee would have been better.

I never did it because I prefer having the actual CD.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2003, 12:05:00 pm »
emusic was nice because you could audition records with having to buy them. i bought stuff i heard via emusic.  today i'm listening to the dirtbombs which i will likely buy when i see them live.  

there is loads of stuff that is out of print or hard to find... the beggars back catalog is pretty amazing as is the bomp,
T.Rex

CulturalVacuum

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2003, 04:01:00 pm »
Now ain't that a coincidence, I was actually downloading The Dirtbombs' album when I first read this, and having just listened to it would love to see them live.  Are you going up to the Baltimore show?  Seems like there are a lot of tours hitting the Ottobar lately and skipping DC . . .

I'll sure as hell be quitting EMusic before the changeover occurs, but I'm going to be downloading like a mad fool until then.  There's a shitload of good and interesting music on there, in nearly every conceivable genre, including a lot of very classic stuff (all of 4AD, Matador, Beggars Banquet, etc.) and a lot of the (relatively) recent indie up and comers, including The French Kicks (who played last night), Interpol, Ladytron, !!!, and more.

I'm definitely going to miss this service, but to change from "unlimited downloads" (which really meant up to about 2000 per month) to FORTY per month, for the same price, is downright ludicrous.  I'll be amazed if they hold on to more than 10% of their user base.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 08:24:40 am »
anyone else got 50 loyalty credits yesterday?  ;D
(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 08:46:58 am »
Ha...I haven't checked yet, but the thread sent me into a bit of a panic. 

So Kosmo...how well did "It's not dead yet... But it's certainly DEAD to me!" go?   ;D

anyone else got 50 loyalty credits yesterday?  ;D

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 08:55:40 am »
no so well :D  but in changing the all you can eat plan and management they definitely improved what was available then and there are also labels coming back on board lately after the price increase... 

i know a bunch of stuff disappeared recently, but that was more because a couple key distributors went bust and not the labels themselves pulling material.  obviously, those labels will want to signup with other distributors as it affects their product availability on other sites besides eMusic.
T.Rex