Author Topic: Snailhook...  (Read 84480 times)

ratioci nation

Re: Snailhook...
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
 the sunshine fix was pretty terrible at terrastock in 2002
oy vey, they were horrible at the black cat as well playing with the glands, torturous

thirsty moore

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »
I heard Blind Melon has a new singer.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »
the features think i saw them at the 9:30 once, but i could be wrong. wasn't really my thing, though that's not to say i wouldn't book them.

Hailing from Nashville they are one of those bands that are a bit garage rock a bit power pop, de novo dahl's original keyboard player is now in the band

the grip weeds have only heard of them.

the shazam don't know...

both of these are not lame / rainbow quartz mainstays and Little Steven favs...
 the grip weeds fall more in the psychedelic pop with folk leanings sound
 the shazam fall in The Move/ Cheap trick power pop vein. at one point they had a bass rocked it on a 12 string bass

the witches or some other troy gregory project don't know...
 Troy Gregory is best known as one of  the bass player in the Dirtbombs at moment.  He also did  stints in Flotsam and Jetsam and Prong at one point.
 The Witches was one of his project when he returned to Detroit and  were a dark and heavy psych rock outfit.  Saw him once in Detroit with a fun  project called Troy Gregory and The Stepsisters.  

two lone swordsmen these guys are still around? i'd book 'em.
 Andrew Weatherall and co are doing this scuzzy blues vibe at the moment.  A big departure from his electronic music root.

the red button not familiar...
 Seriously doubt these guys even tour let alone do live dates.  Kinda of a LA power pop super group, with a Beatles meets 60s garage rock sound.  Was ranked by one set of power pop fans as the best album of last year.
T.Rex

snailhook

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »
thanks for the info, kosmo. i assumed the ones i didn't know were in the power-pop/garage-rock/psych vein, knowing your tastes. funny, when i saw "the shazam", i thought of the move album, which rules.

all of it sounds good, if you know any of these bands are touring, send 'em my way...

azaghal1981

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »
Did you book Eat Skull recently? I'm almost sure you did but if you didn't, I'd love to see them after hearing their album that came out on Siltbreeze not too long ago.

And speaking of Siltbreeze, Naked on the Vague would be great too.
احمد

snailhook

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »
actually not familiar with eat skull, but i'll book anything on siltbreeze. that label was my inspiration in the '90s, and i would love for tom lax to put out some kohoutek on siltbreeze. i contacted naked on the vague about doing a show in march but we couldn't work it out.

azaghal1981

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2008, 04:34:00 pm »
Eat Skull would be right up your alley.

From the label's site:

"Leave it to the English to embellish a term like "shit-gaze" and in doing so codify the current DIY threadbare scrape of Times New Viking, Psychedelic
 Horseshit, and Tyvek. No surprise that the greatest shit-gazer of all time was none other than Samuel Coleridge, an avowed Brit who, plied full of laudanum,
 would sit for hours and stare at his bowel movements, writing copious notes on their color, texture, etc. "Monday? Oh, stool journal, to where didst thine
 weekend go?"

At any rate, it's hard to gauge how much mileage the Limeys can get with such a phrase, but cross your fingers it hangs around long enough for Eat Skull
 to share in the odorous mirth. Call their genre whatever you want; Eat Skull will be ensconced in the stately pleasure-dome at Xanadu, waiting for the
 checks to clear.

Biscuit crumbs and tea stains be damned, Eat Skull are a quartet hailing from Portland, Oregon, co-masterminded by Rob Enbom (former bushwacker in the ranks
 of Hospitals and Hole Class) and another original Hospital, Rod Meyer (the greatest living genius of punk). Previous Eat Skull efforts include a cassette-only
 EP and a pair of 7-inches, all of which might be out of print. Like their brethren and forebears, Eat Skull runs a post pattern deep beyond pop and punk.
 They bring to the game an extrasensory appreciation of New Zealand's South Island Sound (Great Unwashed, Axemen), Cleveland art-damage skronk (Modern Art
 Studio, X-X), and the wretched excess of forgotten Midwest hardcore (Stiff Legged Sheep, Chemotherapy). In other words, just what you need!

Pip, pip matey, rum, sodomy, chin up and all that. Sick to Death is sure to be a lock for many year-end bests or Tom Lax's (DJ) name isn't Kublai Khan."
احمد

Epstein

• http://www.hit-dat.com
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »
eat skill is great

drunkdriver is the best new noise/shit/outsider/whatever band
Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]

Epstein

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2008, 07:27:00 pm »
homostupids as well
Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]

nkotb

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2008, 09:51:00 am »
I took the liberty of contacting Oneida via MySpace:

08-23 - Washington, DC - The Black Cat

Rad.

Originally posted by snailhook:
  Oneida playing with them at terrastock, too. they go through kork, which means black cat or blowtel most likely, unless i convince them otherwise.

azaghal1981

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »
Big Blood? don't know them...

That's surprising. Check out one of their cdr's and a great review here:

http://grown-so-ugly.blogspot.com/2007/12/big-blood-grove-big-blood-grove-is.html

One of my favorite psych folk releases of last year.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2008, 08:15:00 am »
Factums?

Another band that put out a great album on Siltbreeze last year.
احمد

snailhook

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »
didn't know big blood was colleen and tim from cerberus shoal. i've booked them twice and am tight with that portland scene (i just had erin davidson of cerberus down here in october), so if they come this way, i'll certainly hook them up.

the factums record is great. the best siltbreeze records since they revamped, IMO, are the sapat and pink reason records.

Epstein

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »
pink reason for sure

i like the psych horseshit LP too

azaghal1981

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »
Yeah Pink Reason is definitely one of my favorites.
احمد