Author Topic: 50 best rock bands right now  (Read 7132 times)

Relaxer

Re: 50 best rock bands right now
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 11:11:37 am »
paramore above swans lol
Paramore in the top 10 at all is hilarious. Am I not mistaken that Paramore at this point is just the redheaded woman and a bunch of hired guns? Like hasn't every other member been thrown out by the label?

What's the difference between Paramore being a woman with a bunch of hired guns and QOTSA being Josh Homme with a bunch of hired guns YOU FILTHY SEXIST
oword

killsaly

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 11:12:57 am »
Why do you guys give a shit about what Spin publishes?

bearman🐻

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 11:15:42 am »
Why do you guys give a shit about what Spin publishes?

About 25 years ago, Spin was actually a pretty cool magazine...I think lists are always a topic for discussion because most are totally invalid and it's easy to pick them apart. If we all took the initiative to come up with our own lists, we probably couldn't even agree on the criteria of what constitutes a "rock" band anymore anyway.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 11:19:01 am »
paramore above swans lol
Paramore in the top 10 at all is hilarious. Am I not mistaken that Paramore at this point is just the redheaded woman and a bunch of hired guns? Like hasn't every other member been thrown out by the label?

What's the difference between Paramore being a woman with a bunch of hired guns and QOTSA being Josh Homme with a bunch of hired guns YOU FILTHY SEXIST
Is QOTSA a bunch of hired guns at this point?
LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 11:31:50 am »
Bands on that list that I dig:
Liturgy, Screaming Females, Beach Slang, TV on the Radio, Baroness, Destruction Unit, Future Islands, Torche, the Body, Wolf Eyes, Inter Arma, Downtown Boys, Royal Headache, SUNN 0))), Chastity Belt, Swans, Deafheaven, Protomartyr, Deerhunter

19 bands... I did not think I was in their targeted demographic but I dig almost half of them. 

I listen to way too many current "rock" bands to even start listing what I would think is missing from a "best" list.

Also, I hate the term "best" in regards to music.  There is NO best.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:33:48 am by killsaly »

bearman🐻

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 11:39:43 am »

What's interesting is that bands like Nine Inch Nails and QOTSA all have basically had only one core member. Unlike NIN, which doesn't rely as much on collaboration, QOTSA is all about finding people who can make their own unique contributions. And the current lineup has been pretty stable since about 2007, so that's 8 full years. I don't consider them hired guns when there's a good chemistry and they're performing on the LPs. Social Distortion is another band that only has one core member left, but on a good night they're still pretty amazing. Echo and the Bunnymen definitely have hired guns. You never know who's drumming or on bass on any given tour. To me, that's what a hired gun is.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 12:02:26 pm »

What's interesting is that bands like Nine Inch Nails and QOTSA all have basically had only one core member. Unlike NIN, which doesn't rely as much on collaboration, QOTSA is all about finding people who can make their own unique contributions. And the current lineup has been pretty stable since about 2007, so that's 8 full years. I don't consider them hired guns when there's a good chemistry and they're performing on the LPs. Social Distortion is another band that only has one core member left, but on a good night they're still pretty amazing. Echo and the Bunnymen definitely have hired guns. You never know who's drumming or on bass on any given tour. To me, that's what a hired gun is.

The fact you replied seriously to comments from Relaxer and I that were clearly sarcastic makes me giggle.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 12:12:48 pm »

The fact you replied seriously to comments from Relaxer and I that were clearly sarcastic makes me giggle.

What's your definition of sarcasm?

Relaxer

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 12:58:40 pm »
GIGGLE IT UP FUCKFACE I WAS DEAD SERIOUS
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 01:01:43 pm »
aLSO, I AGREe with bearman about Spin. For a certain aged person, Spin was the first national media magazine that really covered punk and hardcore in the mid-80s. The simple fact that they had a regular section on the "underground" was very unique in a world of Rolling Stone, Hit Parader, and Circus. They didn't cover the music like Flipside or Maximum RnR but you could also buy Spin at Safeway and that was a big deal (for me).
oword

Space Freely

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 01:30:44 pm »
aLSO, I AGREe with bearman about Spin. For a certain aged person, Spin was the first national media magazine that really covered punk and hardcore in the mid-80s. The simple fact that they had a regular section on the "underground" was very unique in a world of Rolling Stone, Hit Parader, and Circus. They didn't cover the music like Flipside or Maximum RnR but you could also buy Spin at Safeway and that was a big deal (for me).

Are you guys sure it's Spin that had changed over the last 25 years and it's not you guys who have changed?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 01:54:01 pm »
and, like, what is "change", anyways?
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 02:11:34 pm »
Based purely on their 930 board postings, I would say there are many here who have changed very little in 25 years.

fatskippy

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 02:45:22 pm »
click bait. if it was a reasonable list, no one would care

azaghal1981

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 05:33:17 pm »
Bands I need to give more attention to:
Tenement (seen them a couple times and both were solid. Never heard any of their records)
Destruction Unit
Ought
Inter Arma
Beach Slang

Bands I'm currently into:
MAKTHAVERSKAN
Shopping
Screaming Females
Chumped
Hop Along
Girlpool
The Body
Wolf Eyes
Downtown Boys
Royal Headache
Protomartyr
Chastity Belt
Parquet Courts (their live shows are still fun)
Sleater-Kinney (honestly surprised with how strong Cities to Love was)
Deerhunter

Bands I've enjoyed previously who have done little for me recently:
TVOTR (didn't care much for anything after Cookie Mountain)
Dirty Projectors (That Black Flag covers album was pretty cool but that's pretty much it)
Sunn 0))) (It's just been a while so they could move back into the above list. And that Scott Walker thing is a bullshit gimmick so that doesn't count)
Spoon (I've just lost track. Have they done anything lately?)
Swans (The last two albums are mostly filler)

Bands I don't really care about:
everything else

Edit: Added Beach Slang to the first category.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:14:21 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد