Author Topic: travel tips for those who like to travel while traveling.  (Read 5170 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: travel tips for those who like to travel while traveling.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2022, 08:47:49 am »
Weaverville is a 10 minute drive to downtown Asheville.
It also has a ton of AirBNBs because during the period where AirBNB was banned in Asheville, this is where people started setting up properties "just across" the city limits. If one doesn't want walkable nightlife (which I'd have to assume is a low priority for someone traveling with kids), Weaverville is a great place to stay.
LVMH

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2022, 08:48:13 am »

Also you can get super cheap direct flights with Allegiant Air out of BWI to Asheville airport, although they fly in and out only 2 days a week.  Perfect for a long weekend.  Or fly into Greenville and drive a short 90 minutes to Asheville.

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2022, 08:59:41 am »

Also you can get super cheap direct flights with Allegiant Air out of BWI to Asheville airport, although they fly in and out only 2 days a week.  Perfect for a long weekend.  Or fly into Greenville and drive a short 90 minutes to Asheville.
damn, that is cheap
https://www.allegiantair.com/low-cost-flights-asheville
$36 one way.  You couldn't even cover gas and tolls for that
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2022, 09:00:18 am »
A second vote for White Duck tacos. I wanted to mention them, but was spacing on the name. Great place to go for lunch after you feel like you spent too much at Curate the night before. Definitely a kid friendly place. (My kid was 9 when we took the big Asheville vacation. Her tastes probably skewed toward the taco plave, but she loved the tapas at Curate too.)

Another vegetarian place we went to on previous trips (at one point in my ife I used to go visit relatives in Greenville, SC, who had moved there from Asheville.) was Laughing Seed. I remember loving it in the old days, but don't know how well they've held up over time.I guess well enough to still be existing.

Greenville (SC) is another cute downtown centered town less than an hour away with good eats and drinks and a nice park to walk around in. Though the people are far less crunchy and far more Trumpy.

And thanks Julian for the list of other things to do. It's making me want to go back (and we will at some point, though I know one VRBO we won't be staying at), even if my wife proclaims "I'm not giving my money to any state that doesn't have legalized cannabis."

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2022, 09:05:51 am »
Laughing Seed is still really good! Add Rosetta's to the veggie pile too!

Also there are several decent used record stores for Starsky to dig thru as well. Harvest is probably most his scene, then Voltage and Static Age (like 2 blocks from each other) and also Citizen Vinyl.

The art museum reopened after the remodel and while its not an incredible collection, its a cool building with a rooftop cafe.
LVMH

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 09:10:41 am »
Check out Stoney Knob Cafe just outside of Weaverville as well.  Cool decor/vibe and great food.

Space Freely

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2022, 09:24:37 am »
Easy Girl Eatery was also a good breakfast spot. Or at least they say it is (five years ago). I remember it having no AC (it was hot, even in the morning) and lots of flies. I think the food was pretty good though.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2022, 09:26:11 am »
Sunny Point Cafe is the place for breakfast, if you don't mind the wait.

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2022, 09:30:50 am »
Sunny Point Cafe is the place for breakfast, if you don't mind the wait.
can confirm, we ate a breakfast there and it was delish
slack

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2022, 09:45:55 am »
Easy Girl Eatery was also a good breakfast spot. Or at least they say it is (five years ago). I remember it having no AC (it was hot, even in the morning) and lots of flies. I think the food was pretty good though.
I don't get the appeal of this place, to be honest. But everyone loves it but me.
LVMH

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2022, 09:59:19 am »
must be the no AC and the flies.

I don't get the appeal of this place, to be honest. But everyone loves it but me.

Starsky

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2022, 11:30:36 am »
Ok thanks for that! That’s good stuff
I think we will stay in a hotel…and flying is not in the cards…whatever the cost…my oldest has a phobia about it

Still not 100% clear where this hotel would be preferably..
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:33:06 am by Starsky »