Author Topic: Is Animal Collective the New Moby?  (Read 18860 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Is Animal Collective the New Moby?
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:00:15 am »
with a tip of the hat to relaxer:

Is Animal Collective the New Moby?

excerpt:
And now, an oversaturation similar to what Moby willfully engendered via multi-platform licensing over more than a year could be happening, somewhat organically, to Animal Collective -- even before their album's official release and without the attendant financial windfall -- via blogs, websites, YouTube, and assorted online jabberwocky.

But eventual overhyping aside, with both Play and Merriweather Post Pavillion, I realized from the very beginning that a decent amount of my exhilaration had nothing to do with the quality of the music -- it stemmed partly from a feeling that this artist I'd liked/ respected/ rooted for, but who had remained pop-culturally marginal, had finally made a record so immediately pleasurable and accessible that it might appeal to people who generally hate this kind of shit.

But why does that remotely matter? Why care that people who are predisposed to hate Moby or Animal Collective might grudgingly admit that they don't really suck? Is it simply because of an altruistic urge to share great music with the world, and as a result, make the world a better, more enriched, place? Well, if I were a DJ at an NPR-affiliated station, that line might work, but otherwise, nah. Is it because Spin has thrived on documenting that moment when underground bands emerge onto a larger, more mainstream stage and belaboring/ speculating upon the issues related to said evolution makes for reliable copy? Possibly.

More honestly, it's likely just due to some low-self-esteem personal validation (see, my taste isn't that arbitrarily bad) or because I don't wanna think of myself as a dickwad elitist, or because it's a hoot to have something you genuinely enjoy be popular for a change, rather than convince yourself to appreciate something after the fact (Radiohead), because it's vastly better than all the other garbaggio out there that lots of people like. Of course, by acknowledging this nagging desire, I'm also acknowledging that my critical judgment is pathetically flawed.
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: Is Animal Collective the New Moby?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:39:02 am »
Is AC licensing every (or any) track for commercial use? That makes a huge difference. Journalistic attention is one thing but Moby went way over the fucking top with his commercial aspirations.

Plus he bowdlerized the lyrics of a classic punk tune for commercial gain even before Play. Some things are not forgivable.
😐 🎶

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 02:17:03 pm »
Hah...I was expecting to click that link and see a bunch of songs from MPP listed alongside the names of companies that had licensed each song.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by Moby's set the other night.
احمد

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 02:41:40 pm »
Giving in to the hype, I'm giving MPP a listen.

And I hate it. Can I please turn it off and never have to hear it again?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 04:43:16 pm »
And I hate it. Can I please turn it off and never have to hear it again?

if the author of the above article is right, the answer (for the next 1-2 years, at least) is "no".
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 05:28:07 pm »
I couldnt see them getting too mainstream.  Their music isnt as accessible as that author wants to believe. Even the new one.  Did i miss something?  Are they already on commercials?  I DVR and skip commercials, due to the fact that i hate having people tell me what to buy.  At least if they are on commercials, they can make some money off of their music outside of touring, since a lot of people dont bother paying for their music anymore. 
The Moby comparison is kind of early and possibly wrong.   Moby made a shit cd that everybody loved and got tons of play and commercial success.  His cd was also almost easy listening, I bet my grandma would have like it.  I dont think she would have liked AC, even with the "poppy" MPP.  I doubt they become the new Staind/Killers/Jonas Brothers.

Relaxer

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:38:16 am »
I wouldn't necessarily mind hearing AC's music in a commercial, since A) it would be brief and B) it's not in the context of "I'm listening to this." But when I put it on in the car or at home or wherever, within 3 songs, I'm thinking about switching to something better. Like Nickelback.
oword

nkotb

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:21:16 pm »
I just remembered that they did do this ad a while back.

احمد

Got Haggis?

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 10:30:58 am »
you mean the one that is linked in the post right above you? ;)

nkotb

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 10:36:11 am »
Maybe my post refreshed his memory?  ;D

azaghal1981

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 12:42:55 pm »

Oops...

<note to self click on youtube links before posting your own.>
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 05:39:17 pm »
i just heard my first ac song on the sirius, just now, called "my girls."  moby??  try a new and improved version mixture of sting and paul simon with an indie/pophop/u2 presence.  or perhaps it was just that one song?   

azaghal1981

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 08:10:17 pm »
Walkonby, check out the first track here and name that vocal sample.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 10:11:56 pm »
Walkonby, check out the first track here and name that vocal sample.

i enjoi "the orb" like quality of the instrumental of wwiws, but the vocal escapes me . . . bonoish . . . stingy?