Author Topic: Is Animal Collective the New Moby?  (Read 18863 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Is Animal Collective the New Moby?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 10:20:18 pm »
1:18 in.

It's definitely tweaked almost beyond recognition but that has to be it.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 11:21:05 am »
oh my god . . . so what you are saying, if that is a clip from unbroken chain . . . ac is either saying that wwiws is about singing like shit, or that wwiws is their swan song songs that means the end of the road?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 07:47:31 pm »
ESPN.com has published a review of MPP.  i don't know what to think of this album anymore... did they publish a review of "Play", too?
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 09:25:47 pm »
I'll never understand the "out there" and "inaccessible" comments when it comes to this album. 98% of it sounds like straight-forward 60's-inspired catchy pop music that's sonically decorated with pretty ornaments throughout to me. The only exception is the drony ending of "Daily Routine." Then again, I guess I approached it from a different place than this guy did.
احمد

Jimm3r

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 05:16:17 am »
What in the worllld is a "Soft Sale" and why did I just have to pay $133 bucks for two tickets to see my favorite band on ebay ahha Oh welll. Its SOOO worth it mann. I CANT WAIT. ahhh

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 11:06:11 am »
What in the worllld is a "Soft Sale" and why did I just have to pay $133 bucks for two tickets to see my favorite band on ebay ahha Oh welll. Its SOOO worth it mann. I CANT WAIT. ahhh

soft sale: tickets are on sale to the public, but the fact isn't advertized.  essentially, it's a pre-sale for those in-the-know.  you can be in-the-know by signing up for 930's weekly e-mail blast, and/or paying attention to this board.  if it's any consolation, AC sold out really quickly even for a soft sale - many folks got shut out even though they knew about the sale.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 04:36:26 pm »
I was sure there would be a huge glut of tickets available for face or less on the day of this show and that nobody would pay the outlandish fees scalpers are trying to charge to see Animal Collective but I guess I was wrong. I love AC but watching people react irrationally to internet hype is fun.
احمد

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 10:36:22 am »
i don't know how familiar any of you all are with hipster runoff, but its a joke site .. for the most part. i mean it is written in internet slang and classifies hipsters as altbros, entry level alts, etc. anyhow, this animal collective post is amazing. however, its too long to post, so here are some highlights:

http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/2009/01/animal-collective-is-a-band-created-byforon-the-internet.html

one part of this super long analysis:

?I h8 AnCo because the people who like Animal Collective are s00 annoying.?

After understanding the internet-era and the pressure for bands/labels to create these non-profit lifestyle brands, you can now begin to explore the ?types of fans who love Animal Collective.? They are probably a sampling from the absolute worst type of people to ?talk about music.? In their world, music is the most important art form, and Animal Collective is the master of the arts. Animal Collective shits on everything else, whether or not is art. Most of the most ardent Animal Collective fans are ?failed creative-types? who have convinced themselves that they ?could have made the music that Animal Collective made? if they ?just saved up some money to buy ________(type of instrument).?

These are Anco fan stereotypes:

a) the bros who are waaay too connected to ?new bands? and ?music news? and ?whatz goin on? in the world of independent music
b) bros who ?don?t care about what?s going on in the altmusicsphere? because they ?only care about how music makes them FEEL?
c) bros who pretend to only care about judging music based on ?how it sounds? but secretly check P4k rankings on a weekly basis to construct what they ?like? based on how they perceive the masses are digesting new content.

I feel like the most annoying thing about Animal Collective fans is their ?evangelistic? tendencies. It?s kind of like a ?cult? that is asking you to ?trash your pre-existing tastes and experiences when it comes to music, and join the AnCo army.? To them, Animal Collective is a band that satisfies ?what they are looking for in a band? from a musical and social perspective. They have told themselves that in their perfect version of society, every one will participate in communal sound sessions. Every sound ever made in this perfect society will be recorded, and later used in a meaningful song. We will all have animal/weird names and be inducted into THE ANIMAL COLLECTIVE at sundown on Sunday nights. We will sacrifice humans who do not appreciate our society.

ANNNND...

SWOT ANALYSIS on AnCo

Strengths:
    * Conceptual
    * U don?t really know what they are singing about (in a good way)
    * they sound ?good?
    * They are a well-implemented brand
    * Core audience of evangelists
    * They have the internet perception economy on their side
    * ?nice guys?
    * meaningful album art
    * ability to create LEAK DEMAND

Weaknesses:
    * The sing a lot about fatherhood but might not have that many fans who are fathers
    * Don?t play enough songs from ?their most recent album? at shows
    * too experimental?
    * Too much LEAK buzz when they are not on a Lil Wayne level yet
    * They all live in different parts of the world
    * They rule the world (they used 2 rule the world) -the coldplays

Opportunities:
    * Less Avey Tare?
    * More Panda?
    * License more songs for commercials
    * Come out with a 6 song EP per 6 months and ?stay relevant? forever
    * The death of jam bands and festival and the rise of jam bands at festivals
    * Starting a mini record label that exploits bands that have a similar aesthetic to build an economy for ?nontraditional music?
    * Record deal with the iTunes LBL
    * play at the Obama inauguration
    * We will never know if they are ?not good? any more or if they are just ?too much? for our mainstream ears.

Threats:
    * What happens if Avey Tare / Panda leave the band?
    * They might get ?disenfranchised? with the ?music scene?
    * They will focus on their families and take a 10 year break
    * Geologist will make a solo album that ?kinda sux? and ruins the brand
    * Deakin is better than the current 3 members of anCo
    * Hype Backlash in 2k11
    * Getting ?too progressive? before our ears are ready for it
    * turning into ass holes who care too much about ?social change.?

nothx

azaghal1981

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 11:29:59 am »
I've heard one of the guys who runs that site's sirius/xm/whatever you call it now's weekly radio show. He speaks in that tone throughout and never breaks character. It's hilarious at first but gets annoying fast.
احمد

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 01:10:23 pm »
I've heard one of the guys who runs that site's sirius/xm/whatever you call it now's weekly radio show. He speaks in that tone throughout and never breaks character. It's hilarious at first but gets annoying fast.

lulz ys. crls? ya i've heard him on blog radio too.
it seems like brooklyn vegan is always on there too.

however, i'd rather listen to then bloggers than jenny elischu.
nothx

vansmack

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 04:10:53 pm »
i don't know how familiar any of you all are with hipster runoff, but its a joke site

That gave me a headache.

27>34

azaghal1981

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 10:48:20 pm »
"Animal Collective's status as avant-indie's premiere jam band has now officially been solidified. According to a Tweet from their management company, the
band has cleared the first ever officially licensed Grateful Dead sample. (Via Gorilla Vs. Bear.)

The currently unreleased track "What Would I Want Sky" contains a sample of the Dead song "Unbroken Chain". According to Leg Up! Management, Dead bassist
Phil Lesh himself professed his love for the song.

Right now, there are no confirmed plans to release "What Would I Want Sky", though bootlegs of the track are floating around the internet. In an interview
with the A.V. Club, the band had this to say about the track:

Brian Weitz [aka Geologist]: "And 'What Would I Want Sky' is something that Dave [Portner, aka Avey Tare] wrote for Merriweather and sent Noah [Lennox,
Panda Bear] and I, but we didn't have time to work on parts before we got to the studio, and then one day a week, the engineer would like to have a day
off. But we would usually go into the studio anyway and work on the songs that we had never played live, and some that didn?t make it on the record. 'What
Would I Want Sky' is one we just never got to. We just didn't have enough time, so we worked on it in Lisbon in January. We all went to Lisbon to hang
out for a week, and that?s when we made a full-band version of that song."

David Portner [aka Avey Tare]: "Hopefully, we're gonna do a kind of 'Brother Sport' EP at the end of the year, with the extra tracks and maybe 'What Would
I Want Sky'. I think that would be sweet."

Yes, it would be sweet."
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2009, 10:57:55 pm »
are you indeed ac "psychic"?  and will it indeed be the "end of the road for their (ac) career, such as it was for the dead when phil finally broke in out in 1995 at the spectrum?  strange they are doing this now seeing how the spectrum is, as well, almost near no more.

azaghal1981

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 11:09:02 pm »
What are the odds of one of them ending up in Phil's next lineup?
احمد

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 08:14:53 am »
"Animal Collective's status as avant-indie's premiere jam band has now officially been solidified. According to a Tweet from their management company, the
band has cleared the first ever officially licensed Grateful Dead sample. (Via Gorilla Vs. Bear.)

I guess they're not counting John Oswald's Grayfolded.
😐 🎶