Author Topic: Recommendations  (Read 4153 times)

Barcelona

Recommendations
« on: January 25, 2009, 07:50:12 pm »
I am to buy some cds through amazon. any recommendations of good albums released in the last two years? To get an idea of the music I like, these include Arcade Fire, Pixies, Band of Horses, Pavement (especially up to Crooked Rain Crooked Rain), Grandaddy, The Essex Green, Talking Heads, (yes, I also liked the first album of Clap your hands say yeah), Feetwood Mac (until the mid seventies including rumors and mirage), Flaming Lips (special emphasis The Soft Bulletin), Neil Young, Peter Tosh, Leonard Cohen, or Jonathan Richman.

Albums I like and I have in the wish list include Islands (Return to the Sea) and Silver Jews (Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea).

Also, if I liked a lot Dirty of Sonic Youth, which other cd from them should I get?

How are She and Him and Vampire Weekend?

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:43:43 pm »
Going from the list of those you like, the first thought that came into my head is The Submarines. I haven't heard their other release but "Declare A New State!" is a pretty solid body of work.

Using your list, they sound kind of like The Essex Green meet Pavement. Or even a bit like She And Him but, in my opinion, better. They won't rock your socks off but they won't put you to sleep either. Good melodic song writing all the way through. A very pleasant listen.

Hoya was a fan at one time and maybe still is. Maybe he'll pipe up and put his 2 cents in.

If you are familiar with Jack Drag, it's his latest project.

-Edit-
Sorry, I missed that you wanted something in the last 2 years. This was released in 2006 but I wouldn't dismiss it so fast. I see a very good price for a used copy on Amazon's Marketplace.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:47:40 pm by Jaguar »

Barcelona

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:51:46 am »
Thanks a lot Jaguar, no worries about the two years, the recommendations could be from older albums. I will check them out in last.fm and very probably add them to the list.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:16:23 pm »
Anything by The High Dials.  Their first is a little more psych, and their second a little more poppy, but both fantastic.

And for Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation by a mile.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 12:38:39 am »
My favorite album in 2008 was Neon Neon. Gruff from Super Furry Animals singing. Great pop. Also, Super Furry Animals: Hey Venus was one of the best of 2007. Notice a trend here?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 05:13:41 pm »
If you like bands along the lines of Talking Heads and Johnathan Richmond, I suggest checking out the Phoenix - "It's Never Been Like That"
T.Rex

Chip Chanko

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:54:24 pm »
Seconded.

If you like bands along the lines of Talking Heads and Johnathan Richmond, I suggest checking out the Phoenix - "It's Never Been Like That"

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 10:03:43 pm »
Ack, you should suggest United first!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:36:13 pm »

Well he did ask about records released in the last two years....
T.Rex

Barcelona

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 12:16:48 pm »
Thanks all for the recommendations, will check into all of them. Last question, anyone familiar with Destroyer? The other day listening to the Silver Jews radio in Last.fm I ran into a very good song of this band.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 12:31:33 pm »
Going from the list of those you like, the first thought that came into my head is The Submarines. I haven't heard their other release but "Declare A New State!" is a pretty solid body of work.

yeah i like this album but haven't put it on in a year or more... too much music...
(o|o)

Samantha

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 09:24:08 pm »

Well he did ask about records released in the last two years....

But then he said no worries!  I would just refrain from suggesting Phoenix if you're not going to recommend United first.  It's blasphemy.