Author Topic: Getting tragic with Antony, Johnsons at a Synagogue  (Read 11806 times)

Relaxer

Re: Getting tragic with Antony, Johnsons at a Synagogue
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 10:17:44 am »
I agree, that was tremendous. Perfect sound quality, great venue, the band sounded unbelievable. REALLY impressed with how they arranged the violins, cellos and various other instruments. And that voice! It's even more amazing live than it is on record. From a purely musical perspective, it was one of the best shows I've seen in years. Every song was epic, he really is a musical giant, and it was close to perfect.

The only negative, and god hell what a negative, was that stage banter. Holy shit Antony, you're going to seriously cripple this magical musical vibe you got going with that 6th-grade-schoolgirl schtick of "I just... umm..... well, y'know.... why don't we just be women.... and like... y'know... I'm sorry" It was so painful, and when he kept interupting the song to further blather on incoherently, I was dying.

But maybe that's just supposed to be part of his charm. The cello player looked like she wanted to slay him archery style with her bow and a few well-pulled strings.

The venue is definitely a winner, though damn, if you don't get there early, you're in for a challenge. I got there as the opener was finishing and was confronted with a wall of people in pews. Snagged a seat but found I couldn't see any part of the stage, so ended up standing against the wall in the back, which actually afforded a perfect view of the stage.

So glad I didn't skip this one.
oword

Vas Deferens

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 12:19:06 pm »
It was magnificent from beginning to end. :::SIGH:::  His voice echoing during "Hope There's Someone" was just phenomenal. And we got "Shake That Devil" from the Another World EP. That's a huge surprise.

But I am still heartbroken that "Cripple & the Starfish" and "Daylight and the Sun" were on the setlist but not played.  :'(  Sometimes we don't really need to see the written setlist!  ;D

sweetcell, you should DEFINITELY go to the NYC show. He rarely tours the US. 
(_|_)

bellenseb

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 12:34:52 pm »
Loved the "Crazy in Love" cover, too. Great show...

What did y'all think of the opener (forget the name...?) Kinda a freak-folk Nico, not the greatest but she grew on me a little.

BookerT

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 03:30:49 pm »
i thought the violin player closest to antony looked like cate blanchett as bob dylan. but i was in the back so maybe i didn't have the best vantage point.

yeah, it's just not exactly my thing. the songs that had a bit of a charge in them reminded me of an even more chamber-y tindersticks and i enjoyed those. but the calmest stuff reminded me of that scene in "the fifth element" where the diva was singing on the cruise ship when chris tucker was running around as the crazy talk show host. know what i'm talking about? stupid tbs always showing "the fifth element."

i have a general rule that if i think my grandmother would enjoy it i probably won't enjoy it and i think grandma would have really dug antony. especially because it was in a synagogue.

Relaxer

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 03:36:31 pm »
After the show was over, I drove a lap around the beltway listening to B.I.G.'s 'Ready to Die'. It felt appropriate.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 03:38:28 pm »
thanks for the reviews, folks - looking forward to catching the show in NYC in 2 weeks.

yup, i'm there.  i'm secretly hoping for an appearance by Andy Butler :)
<sig>

MonkeyPants

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 05:05:09 pm »
^I doubt Andy Butler will be there, but Nomi Ruiz should totally be there

The only negative, and god hell what a negative, was that stage banter. Holy shit Antony, you're going to seriously cripple this magical musical vibe you got going with that 6th-grade-schoolgirl schtick of "I just... umm..... well, y'know.... why don't we just be women.... and like... y'know... I'm sorry" It was so painful, and when he kept interupting the song to further blather on incoherently, I was dying.

I have to disagree.  I liked the banter.  I can't stand it when artists just show up, play and say thanks or you guys have been great and leave the stage.  i think that it gave the audience the perspective of the guy who wrote these beautiful songs and perhaps shed some light on where he's coming from in general for people who may not know.  Just because he said sorry and y'know, etc. doesn't mean he wasn't saying something of substance.

Plus, it's his show.  I don't think he should have to apologize for saying something if he really feels like he wants to say it.
PANTS

Jesse

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 05:20:15 pm »
Anybody have any idea on when and where we're gonna see the footage recorded for the show?

Sage 703

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 05:59:23 pm »
Anybody have any idea on when and where we're gonna see the footage recorded for the show?

It will be broadcast on Pitchfork.tv, though I don't know when.  NPR was also there recording for All Songs Considered.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 07:47:34 pm »
That show was love. Complete and total love.
Woof.

azaghal1981

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 09:23:08 pm »
Two weeks? Hmm...

Ixkpd-bk?

I'm second-guessing my choice to see Andrew Bird last night after all these reviews but an NYC show in two weeks sounds very doable especially if tickets are still available.

thanks for the reviews, folks - looking forward to catching the show in NYC in 2 weeks.

yup, i'm there.  i'm secretly hoping for an appearance by Andy Butler :)
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 10:52:54 pm »
Two weeks? Hmm...

Ixkpd-bk?

thur 2/19 & fri 2/20 @ the town hall.  i'll be at the friday show.  still a few tickets left in the loge & balcony, more so for thursday.  looking like the friday show will sell out soon.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 03:59:16 am »
Thanks to MyraEllen for the heads-up

So there was no Daylight!

Exact same set as the NYC show I saw.

Edit: error above fixed.

No "Cripple" as listed in the setlist, either. NYC show wins! :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:08:30 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

Sage 703

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 12:11:09 pm »
Video from this show is now posted at Pitchfork.tv and audio at NPR:

http://www.pitchfork.tv/