Author Topic: Is 930 straying from it's roots?  (Read 14471 times)

godsshoeshine

Re: Is 930 straying from it's roots?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2003, 12:09:00 pm »
its not like if the bands that used to or "should" come to 930 don't come to dc anymore. the club still blows most town's equivalent venues away, and smaller bands come to the cat or iota. sounds like a good deal to me...and i have gone to the black cat many more times than 930 since i've lived here.
o/\o

Sir HC

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2003, 12:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by DriveWay:
  Ive just noticed in the last few months... that I can't remember the last time I went to the club.  It just seems that in the last year, ticket prices have increased greatly and the more 'alternative' and 'indie' bands that were once staples of the 930 club have vanished.  The only show that appeals to me on the current calander really is My Morning Jacket.  Shouldn't shows like Natalie Cole, FOUR nights of Melissa Ethridge, Maci Gray or Cyndi Lauper be reserved for other venues in dc?  930 use to be a place for up and comers, not 80's has beens or yuppie magnets.  Just a thought...
Who do you want to see come to the club?  Remember too their schedule is dictated by who is touring at any one moment.  If they are not on the road, they won't be at the club.  Also if a band draws 150 people they really can't show them alone, so in that respect the club has changed.  Other clubs have taken up some of the slack, but the 9:30 also uses the opening slots to bring in new talent.

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2003, 12:13:00 pm »
also, its not like Seth and Co. just sit around and think of cool bands and then call them up and fly them into town.  Bands have to be touring, they have to be coming somewhat nearby DC in the first place, they have to want to play DC, they have to be able to sell more than 200 tickets (i would think), they have to be in town on a night that no one else is scheduled at the club.

All these things come into factor.

I have spent time helping book DJs at a weekly club and its not easy and you dont ALWAYS get all the acts you want, whenever you want them.

sonickteam2

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2003, 12:23:00 pm »
i think me and SirHC posted at the same time, sorry for the redundancy again.

Driveway

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2003, 01:32:00 pm »
I was amazed that Death Cab For Cutie played at the Black Cat and not the 930 club... as well as the Twilight Singers.  Both of these acts could have filled the 930 Club easily.  I don't know, it is just hard to believe that a club that use to house bands like Velocity Girl, Hum or Smashing Pumokins is now on a Melissa Ethridge kick.  I'm not complaining per say because I enjoy going to the black cat, just an oberservation that the club has changed dramatically and has basically nothing to do with the original club, or how the new club was in it's first couple of years.

Moon Mullen

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2003, 01:37:00 pm »
Hmmm... I do recall seeing Jewel at the old 9:30

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2003, 01:46:00 pm »
One oddball booking doesn't completely discredit his argument. Look on the schedule at any time now and there are a half dozen nights of Jewel-calibre performers.

Originally posted by Moon Mulllens:

Sir HC

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2003, 02:01:00 pm »
  I was amazed that Death Cab For Cutie played at the Black Cat and not the 930 club... as well as the Twilight Singers.  Both of these acts could have filled the 930 Club easily.  I don't know, it is just hard to believe that a club that use to house bands like Velocity Girl, Hum or Smashing Pumokins is now on a Melissa Ethridge kick.  I'm not complaining per say because I enjoy going to the black cat, just an oberservation that the club has changed dramatically and has basically nothing to do with the original club, or how the new club was in it's first couple of years.
Some bands have a "Black Cat" connection, Death Cab being friends with D Plan would be a good case and point.  Some bands have a 9:30 connection, some will play both (Luna for example).  I like having all the different clubs as you can get to see some shows or bands that would otherwise escape you, only problem is when they all book something killer for the same night.

Moon Mullen

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2003, 02:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  One oddball booking doesn't completely discredit his argument. Look on the schedule at any time now and there are a half dozen nights of Jewel-calibre performers.

Originally posted by Moon Mulllens:
[/b]
That would be an opinion of personal taste. There were tons of bands that played at the old 9:30 that I didn't care for, as there are now.

With the exception of a few mainstream music acts, the booking doesn't seem to be any different than what was playing at the old venue let's say, 10 years ago.

Bags

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2003, 02:04:00 pm »
That's because there ARE other clubs now (of the old 9:30's size), and 9:30 is three times the size.  I believe that if Uncle Tupelo could sell out the 9:30, they'd play the 9:30.

Hey, question -- where are the Old 97s playing?

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 And if 9:30 Club were the club it once was, it WOULD cater more to the smaller alt-country market. When Uncle Tupelo came to town, they played the old 9:30 Club. Now bands like that play Iota.

ratioci nation

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2003, 02:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  That's because there ARE other clubs now (of the old 9:30's size), and 9:30 is three times the size.  I believe that if Uncle Tupelo could sell out the 9:30, they'd play the 9:30.

I am pretty sure if Uncle Tupelo were to play 9:30 now, the show would sell out.

Bags

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2003, 02:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
  How dare anyone presume anything about that great unknowable sphynx, Rhett?  Shame on you Bagster!  May your firstborn be shut in a sweatlocker with an insurance salesman.  A thousand lashes...

Right, because we never hear about the bands or the shows he likes here on the board.  I'll never say I know what Rhett listens to on a comprehensive basis, but I certainly know the highlights.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2003, 02:11:00 pm »
See Pollstar Melissa Etheridge is doing several dates at larger clubs across the country.  Perhaps she is tried of playing arenas but doesn't want to lock people out from seeing her in the smaller venues.  So her dates are not unique to 9:30 club.  The club also books lots of indie bands in the punk/emo vein, it maybe not the indie you want to hear.
T.Rex

mankie

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2003, 02:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
 [QB]

Evidently the same venue that now only books old washed-up, Jewel-calibre artists. Very fitting don't you think?

Bags

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2003, 02:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  also, its not like Seth and Co. just sit around and think of cool bands and then call them up and fly them into town.  
So funny...that appears to be what the Jane's Addiction fan wants.  "Hey Seth, will you call Perry and get his butt to the club?"