Author Topic: Question for club staff/Seth/law enforcement/anyone who  (Read 3787 times)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
Question for club staff/Seth/law enforcement/anyone who
« on: August 01, 2006, 05:34:00 pm »
Okay, yadda yadda, there is new this sucky curfew for all 16 and under 'till the end of August in DC and it sucks.
 But, the youth want to know: does this mean we cannot attend shows?
 I figure that as long as I enter the club BEFORE 10pm, remain inside after 10pm, get picked up right away, and am not  loitering on a street corner, then it would be okay?
 The DC police website says "The Juvenile Curfew Act of 1995 (DC Code 2-1541 et. seq.) states that persons under the age of 17 cannot remain in or on a street, park or other outdoor public place, in a vehicle or on the premises of any establishment within the District of Columbia during curfew hours, unless they are involved in certain exempted activities."

...So, would being on the premises of any establishment within the District (i.e. 9:30 club) mean that if a cop came into the club after 10, they could arrest me?

I would also like to note that there is a fucking "curfew detainment center" right on 14th and U...

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
Re: Question for club staff/Seth/law enforcement/anyone who
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 05:55:00 pm »
I don't think you'll have a problem, but the 930 Club does fall into the category of "the premises of any establishment within the District of Columbia during curfew hours, unless they are involved in certain exempted activities"

I had thought the curfew was at 11:30. Regardless, you'll be fine. I think it's more for the local city kidzzzzz that are always hanging out around the corners and loitering.

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

you be betty

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 05:58:00 pm »
It was midnight, but because of all the crime that was definitely not the result of any 16 year olds, the curfew for the next month in dc is 10pm...

slowgraffiti

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 06:00:00 pm »
how are they going to know you're not 17 if you tell them you're 17.

i figured if i don't bring my lisence with me to shows it won't be a problem.

eltee

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 06:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by slowgraffiti:

i figured if i don't bring my lisence with me to shows it won't be a problem.
license, license....That's right, if you can't spell it don't carry one.

Story in The Post today...10 pm curfew - didn't it say age 16? You kids should be in bed anyhow.   :D

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 06:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  It was midnight, but because of all the crime that was definitely not the result of any 16 year olds, the curfew for the next month in dc is 10pm...
so how is this issue any different than it was previously?  i've been to plenty of weekend shows at 930 club that got out after 12am; isn't that the same situation, just bumped up 2 hours?
(o|o)

igotmoxie

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 07:33:00 pm »
if you're on your way home, you'll be fine.

it really sucks that a few assholes have to ruin stuff for everyone.

i can't decide if the young age restriction and the early time is over-reacting.
 but i have to say, i'm glad for it in my neighborhood.

walkonby

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 10:11:00 pm »
"stay the fuck home then." - seth

sorry missladybunnykier, but i had too say it.

at least it wasn't, ben's ch. . . .

you be betty

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 10:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:

Originally posted by you be betty:
so how is this issue any different than it was previously?  i've been to plenty of weekend shows at 930 club that got out after 12am; isn't that the same situation, just bumped up 2 hours? [/b]
Because it was the norm before, we never really paid too much attention to it...nobody was really enforcing it, and I figured I look older, they have better stuff to be busting people for (which they do), I'm fine.
 Now, they are going out of their way to enforce the early curfew, and it is all over the news.  So it means something.  I got the hell out of Fort Reno yesterday and home very quickly after the show, because they have cops all over there lately.  I also know they usually have cops around 9:30 and that area, so we really just want to know if it'll be okay...and no staying the fuck home will take place...  :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 11:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by slowgraffiti:

how many times have i fell for THAT one!!!

(just kidding)

Urbansprite

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 11:55:00 am »
frankly, i think this law is bullshit, but it has been tested on constitutional grounds in the past and survived.  but that is a different issue.

the law definitely contemplates the 9:30 Club. the statute defines an "establishment" as "any privately-owned place of business operated for a profit to which the public is invited, including, but not limited to, any place of amusement or entertainment."  your question with regard to risk is really a two-parter: 1) what does the law contemplate, and 2) what can you get away with.

with regard to the first, the law states that a "minor commits an offense if he or she remains in any public place or on the premises of any establishment within the District of Columbia during curfew hours" -- "remains" being the operative word with regard to your question.  it doesn't matter that you entered the club before curfew hours.  you break the law by staying.  the law also states when the establishment has liability, but that too is a separate issue.

with regard to what you can get away with, the statute lists a series of defenses that have no relation to attending a concert.  but, a cop can't do anything to you until he or she specifically asks for your age and your reasons for being out during curfew hours.  in the end, it is a roll of the dice, like drinking underage or doing anything else for which there is an age limit.  that said, enforcement of the curfew laws has not historically been anywhere near as stringent -- not that i would ever advise you to actually break the law (nudge, wink).