Author Topic: For All You Caps Fans  (Read 105231 times)

grotty

Re: For All You Caps Fans
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:

Originally posted by i'm her slave:

If they win the Cup - it was a steal.

You also gotta think Hossa is going to LOVE playing with Crosby. Maybe too much to leave.
You're delusional. Any team from the East will be slaughtered in the Cup finals against Anaheim/Detroit/Dallas/San Jose, especially if Fleury is the goaltender.

And as I said, Hossa is a rental. Financially, a team cannot sign Hossa, Crosby, Malkin, and Staal to longterm deals and hope to have anything but AHL-quality players rounding out their lineup. Also, I guess I missed that year Hossa actually showed up for the playoffs. [/b]
I forwarded your comments to Mario Lemieux asking him to consider you for the position of General Manager.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »
 I forwarded your comments to Mario Lemieux asking him to consider you for the position of General Manager.
Oh, well thank you.  Please include on my cover letter that I finished third in the 2005-2006 9:30 Club NHL Fantasy League and have a perfect season on EA's NHL 2006 for Playstation 2.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »
i dont understand why you go for broke when you have three very young stars/near stars
o/\o

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »
A conclusive list of comments from hockeybuzz.com about the Hossa trade:

Bruins fan-

The B's didn't screw anything up, the Pens are morons, the Sabres and Habs are worse then they were yesterday.
Maple Leafs fan-

Pittsburgh got screwed. Getting Hossa was a mistake. If they really wanted to do themselves some good, they should have paid that price for Brad Richards. Yeah, it would have cost them, but it would have been much more worthwhile to get in on Richards than Hossa.
Habs fan-

Pittsburg is nuts to give up what they did for a rental player.
Leafs fan-

Pittsburgh does not want to take on that much salary for that long having to break the bank for Malkin soon. I can see the Pens getting setup to trade Malkin this summer and signing Hossa for a cheaper deal. I don't see how the Pens can pay Crosby close to 9 million and Malkin possibly getting 10+.
Wings fan-

It'll look a lot better if they can resign both Hossa and Malkin for the next few seasons, otherwise it does indeed look like a mistake
Pens fan-

How did the Penguins make such a big mistake? Yea we paid a lot...but look at our team RIGHT now?
Habs fan-

PS. the Pens are crazy for that move. I hope you win the cup, actually wait that wont happen, i hope you get into the finals vs Anaheim because otherwise you just made the worst deal of the year.
Flyers fan-

The Pens overpaid waaaaayyyyy too much for Hossa. At least the Flyers were the sane organization in the commonwealth today.
Pens fan-

Two third line wingers (at best), a 1st round pick in 2009 and a kid who's been cut three times by the Candian Junior squad is overpaying? I honestly think we can sign Hossa to an extension and keep Malkin when the time comes, so this deal is fine by me. I don't think Shero would have made the deal if he didnt think he could get Hossa signed (if he decides he'd like to stay here). The cap space for this team will be fine with Roberts, Orpik, Colby ($1.25 million per haha, what a joke) and others coming off the budget at the end of the year.
Flames fan-

I don't understand Pittsburgh overpaying for an unneeded rental scorer (Hossa), especially with Crosby coming back soon. They had other needs that could have been addressed with everything they gave up. Lack of scoring wasn't exactly their main issue. But maybe they think they can take the East this year...
Flyers fan-

If Shero can get Hossa to sign a long term deal then good on ya.

I still think it was way too much to give up for your team at this time. It's not like you were this one particular piece away from winning a cup.
Sabres fan-

Look at Hossa disappear in the playoffs -- I hope they can afford to resign him -- or they lost alot for a 1st round exit
Flames fan-

If they had desperately needed a scorer...I'd perhaps understand it more. As it is, that sure seems like a lot to give up for a rental player they didn't really need up front.

Campbell actually would have made more sense for them as a rental. Or even Richards, though I know there's no way they could bring THAT contract in.

Just seems an odd deal, to me.
Isles fan-

if Hossa leaves, ouch.
Pens fan-

all the rumors had Staal going the other way so if I had a choice between that package or one that included Staal then I think it was a steal.

Plus the two other teams rumored for Hossa was MTL and OTT and thats another reason I like this deal.
Flames fan-

a rental winger, for 2 or 3 months? There was no under-contract player that could be found that might play with Crosby next year too? For what you gave up? Or some help on D?

Obviously, a deep playoff run or a Cup erases all concern. But was forward scoring Pitts' biggest hole? I have trouble believing that...
Isles fan-

an awful lot to pay and you didn't address your goaltending situation. Conklin will fall and Fluery sucks.... the Pens are front loaded but nothing substantial on the back end. Whitney and Gonchar are a good pairing but after that, a little thin.
Pens fan-

Colby and Dupuis is equal. Christensen for Hossa. I dont see what we lost that we cant replace. The time is now in Pittsburgh. Espo might be good but Shero was shopping him all day. Makes you wonder?
Rangers fan-

With Hossa I don't consider Pittsburgh a threat. Their defense is weak and their goaltending is shaky.
Predators fan-

It's this years "Forsberg deal". For your sake, I hope this one works out better.
Short version: no non-Penguins fan said it was a good deal. OTOH, no one had a bad thing to say about Dallas or San Jose's big moves, just to put the tenor of the board in perspective.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 11:38:00 am »
Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
  going to the game tonight, should be fun
what an ass whupping last night, the wild look dead in the water
(o|o)

godsshoeshine

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »
  Short version: no non-Penguins fan said it was a good deal. OTOH, no one had a bad thing to say about Dallas or San Jose's big moves, just to put the tenor of the board in perspective.
hahahahahah...messageboard posts from opposing fans as evidence. awesome
o/\o

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  hahahahahah...messageboard posts from opposing fans as evidence. awesome
It's anecdotal evidence of what the common opinion is. As I said, there's no groundswell of idiots saying Dallas or San Jose or Washington were stupid with their blockbuster trades yet overwhelmingly people think the Hossa trade either "didn't fill their need" or was a "massive overpayment on a rental." Why such a disparity? Does all of the NHL suffer from Pittsburgh Pen(i)s envy?

grotty

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »

hahahahahah...messageboard posts from opposing fans as evidence. awesome [/b]
ESPN rated it the best trade with highest potential impact.

Barry Melrose said they are now the best team in the East. I'll take the experts opinions over a bunch of fans who wish their team had done something/anything to improve.

Heard last night that Montreal had already printed up Hossa jerseys. Guess they can send those to Africa along with the 19-0 shirts.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »
i generally agree that the pens overpaid on a huge gamble, but who cares what ihaztehhabs22 or rangersrool91 think

pittsburgh papers like it too
o/\o

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »
  Barry Melrose said they are now the best team in the East.
"Pittsburgh's taking a big chance... when they don't resign Hossa, it'll be a terrible deal, but Pittsburgh had some guts." - Barry Melrose, literally 30 seconds ago on Sportscenter.

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »
  i generally agree that the pens overpaid on a huge gamble, but who cares what ihaztehhabs22 or rangersrool91 think
Who cares what god's shoeshine or Julian, good manners AFICIONADO thinks?

If people on that site were trashing every big trade made by every team except their own, then I'd agree with you it's biased and not worthy of consideration, but just because someone's a Rangers fan doesn't mean they can't point out the obvious.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »
no, but i'd wager it means they dont watch the pens unless they are playing the rangers

and no, no one cares what either of us think
o/\o

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »
  no, but i'd wager it means they dont watch the pens unless they are playing the rangers

In my experience, NHL fans are the most knowledgeable about their sport. Still, I respect your opinion about the merits of my corroborating evidence.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »
who cares about all that hossa talk. im just glad to see the avs picked up forsberg again (who knows if he'll ever be as good as he once was), and also picked up foote once again. maybe they should just pick up drury from the rangers and take back the cup again!  :)  

wishful thinking since my kings dont have a chance in hell except for being the worst team this year  :)
HeyLa

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  who cares about all that hossa talk. im just glad to see the avs picked up forsberg again (who knows if he'll ever be as good as he once was), and also picked up foote once again. maybe they should just pick up drury from the rangers and take back the cup again!    :)    
They should see if Roy wants back in. The Avs look amazing... if this was 1997. Signing Forsberg is throwing cash away at this point.