Author Topic: The Reissue Thread  (Read 129334 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
The Reissue Thread
« on: May 29, 2009, 07:00:36 pm »
I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to news about reissues, box sets and comps. Contribute please.

R.E.M. - Reckoning (deluxe 2cd), 6/23

Thomas Dolby - Golden Age Of Wireless (cd/dvd) and The Flat Earth (cd w/ bonus tracks), 6/23

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (3 deluxe versions), 6/9

The Housemartins - London 0 Hull 4 (deluxe 2cd), 6/23
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:08:48 pm by beetsnotbeats »
😐 🎶

bellenseb

Re: Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package! -- The Reissue Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 08:41:50 pm »
BIG STAR
Keep An Eye On The Sky (Boxed Set)

Big Star inspired a fevered allegiance among fans of power pop, giving rise to a cult of believers who spent decades spreading the gospel. Their enthusiasm turned this obscure Memphis pop band-one that got little airplay, sold few records, and only played a handful of times- into a remarkable rock and roll resurrection story. Big Star's trek from obscure Memphis band to standard bearers for an entire genre of music has never been fully mapped-until now. Rhino presents the definitive look at the definitive power-pop band with a four-disc boxed set divided between key cuts from Big Star's three studio albums and unreleased music. KEEP AN EYE ON THE SKY will be available September 15 from Rhino Records at all retail outlets, including www.rhino.com, for a suggested list price of $69.98 (physical), it will also be available as a digital release the same day. A Deluxe Edition release of Chris Bell's solo album I Am The Cosmos is due September 14 from Rhino Handmade.

KEEP AN EYE ON THE SKY spans 1968 to 1975 and shows the progression of Big Star through selections from such studio precursors as Rock City and Icewater; music from Big Star's acclaimed recordings (#1 Record, Radio City, and Third/Sister Lovers); and relevant solo work by group principals Alex Chilton and Chris Bell, who formed Big Star in 1971 with bassist Andy Hummel and drummer Jody Stephens. The collection also uncovers a trove of unreleased demos, unused mixes, alternate versions of songs, and a 1973 concert recorded in Memphis. 

In these 98 tracks you can hear what turned artists as diverse as Cheap Trick, R.E.M., and The Replacements into Big Star fans. Spotlighting the band's roots, the boxed set opens with several songs recorded before Big Star formed, including ?Try Again,? one of the first songs Bell and Chilton wrote together. Those early cuts are followed by Big Star's 1972 debut #1 Record, reimagined here using a mix of album tracks and unreleased alternate mixes of favorites like ?Thirteen,? ?When My Baby's Beside Me,? and more. Among the disc's rarities are ?Country Morn'? (issued as a flexi-disc single by a Big Star fanzine), the demo for ?I Got Kinda Lost,? and an unreleased acoustic demo of Chilton singing Loudon Wainwright's ?Motel Blues.?

Ardent Records, the band's label, experienced problems with distribution that hindered any chances at success for #1 Record. Its failure was a major blow to Bell, who quit the band to go solo. In 1974, the Alex Chilton-led Big Star regrouped and released Radio City, an album more attuned to the band's live energy that featured the power-pop confections ?September Gurls? and ?Back Of A Car.? The second disc of KEEP AN EYE ON THE SKY opens with a trio of unreleased demos: ?There Was A Light,? ?What's Going Ahn,? and ?Life Is White.? The original song sequence for Radio City follows, combining album versions with unreleased alternate mixes (?Way Out West? and ?You Get What You Deserve.?) The disc features unissued versions of ?She A Mover? and ?Mod Lang,? several unreleased demos for Big Star's third album, plus Bell's acclaimed 1978 single ?I Am The Cosmos? and its B-side ?You And Your Sister.? Sadly, Bell died in a car accident a few months after the single's release. 

When Big Star reconvened in 1975 to record Third/Sister Lovers, only Chilton and Stephens remained (Hummel left shortly before Radio City's release). Famed Memphis maverick Jim Dickinson was enlisted to supervise the recording, which languished on the shelf for years before its release in 1978. Despite its bleak timbre, wild dynamics, and fragility, the music possesses a startling grace. KEEP AN EYE ON THE SKY's third disc opens with seven demos (most previously unreleased) for songs that appear on Third/Sister Lovers, including ?Jesus Christ,? ?Take Care,? and ?Holocaust.? Among the album's 19 songs collected here is ?For You,? ?Kizza Me,? and ?Kanga Roo.? Also featured is ?Lovely Day,? an early, unreleased version of ?Stroke It Noel? with different lyrics; Chilton vamping with photographer Bill Eggleston at the piano for Nat King Cole's ?Nature Boy? and a raucous cover of The Kinks' ?Till The End Of The Day.? 

The collection's final disc contains unreleased highlights from three sets Big Star performed at Lafayette's Music Room in Memphis in January 1973. It is the best live recording ever of the band. The show captures Chilton, Hummel, and Stephens playing many of the songs on #1 Record, which had just recently been released. The set list includes a retooled version of ?ST 100/6? lengthened by both guitar and drum solos (with a middle eight heisted from the Rock City song ?The Preacher.?) Also in the repertoire are ?There Was A Light? and ?I Got Kinda Lost.? In addition, the concert includes fully formed versions of several songs recorded later for Radio City: ?Back Of A Car,? ?Way Out West,? ?O My Soul,? and a particularly rocking ?She's A Mover.? Those originals are mixed with a selection of covers: Todd Rundgren's ?Slut,? T. Rex's ?Baby Strange,? The Kinks' ?Come On Now,? and The Flying Burrito Brothers' ?Hot Burrito #2.? 

The lavish packaging for KEEP AN EYE ON THE SKY includes extensive liner notes, rare and never-before-seen photos, and insightful essays about the cult of Big Star and the band's history. In the notes, Stephens reflects on the band's belated triumph. ?Sure, it would've been nice to have been huge at the time. But, here we are, 30 years later, and Big Star is still playing, our music is turning up in movie soundtracks, and young people are still excited to discover the records. I mean, if that isn't success, I don't know what is.?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 10:04:36 pm »
I'm very excited about the Big Star boxset!  I wish a US record company would get around to releasing both of these Big Beat Records compilations.

Thank You Friends - The Ardent Records Story

A-Square (Of Course)    
Jeep Holland?s Ann Arbor label and agency A-Square was the flashpoint for the late 1960s Detroit rock revolution. ?A-Square (Of Course)? features historic recordings by luminaries MC5, Thyme, Scot Richard Case and Frost, plus the rarely-heard Prime Movers, with a young Iggy Pop on lead vocals.

T.Rex

bellenseb

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 10:14:18 pm »
I got the Ardent set from Other Music...I think a lot of the unreleased stuff on this box set was already on the Ardent set. Highlight for me was the alternate "Big Black Car" - very different! Most of the "alternate mixes" are very faithful to the originals...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:39:18 pm »
i do believe that the Ardent Records comp was the inspiration for the Big Star boxset, it's too bad Rhino can't pick it up as well.

And of course don't forget about the forthcoming remastered reissue of #1 Record/Radio City on CD, with the albums also being separately reissued on vinyl.  Two additional tracks being added an unreleased single mix of "In the Street" and the single edit of "O My Soul".

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/albums/1-RecordRadio-City-FAN-31457-02/
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 04:33:22 pm »
New stuff from Wounded Bird (no dates)

Screaming Blue Messiahs - Gun-Shy and Bikini Red

Ohio Express - Ohio Express + Chewy Chewy (2fer)

Mercy Seat - Mercy Seat
Mercy Seat was the brainstorm of guitarist/singer Gordon Gano of Violent Femmes fame. Featuring on vocals is Zena Von Heppinstall. Originally issued on Sire Records in 1987, this unusual album is now making its worldwide CD debut.

😐 🎶

SPARX

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 01:31:48 am »
Excellent Andy Partridge Interview

http://tinyurl.com/mx5hog

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:52:16 am by kosmo vinyl »

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:17:28 am »
The stoner metal gold standard:

Sleep's Holy Mountain

Contains a cover of Black Sabbath's Snowblind.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 09:42:10 pm »
Just came across this. Really nice so far.

Lula Cortes - Rosa De Sangue

"Deluxe first ever reissue of this Brazilian private press monster rarity. Originally custom pressed in 1980, Rosa De Sangue is the closing chapter of the
amazing Recife psychedelic movement that flourished and centered around the work of Lula Cortes, beginning in 1973 with the release of Satwa, and the creation
of Abracadabra, Lulas loose art/music/design collective. Leading up to 1980 Lula had produced and privately released Satwa in 1973 (Brazils first private
press LP) as well as Marconi Notaros No Sub Reino Dos Metazoarios LP that same year (featuring the recording debut of Ze Ramalho). He then started the
legendary but incredibly short lived Solar label, releasing only two albums: 1975s Paebiru double album, and a year later the lone album by Flaviola. As
if that wasnt enough, he was also heavily involved in other productions and performed on many seminal albums coming out of the region, including many collaborations
with Alceu Valenca. By the close of the 70s the heavily utilized Rozemblit recording studio/pressing plant had been destroyed by repeated floods, Abracadabra
had run its course, and along with Lulas marriage, the Solar label was no more. So Rosa De Sangue was conceived as a bookend and tribute to this closing
era; as Lula himself states I want to close all of this with a golden key. And a golden key it is. Entering a small local studio with a head full of songs
and his freshly road tested mountains band, Lula created an album simply overflowing with ideas. Along with his power trio backing, he was further assisted
by many old friends dropping in, including, among many others: Alceu Valenca, Flaviola, Ze De Flauta and Paulo Rafael. With hints of the past era and of
things to come, it is a truly wild audio experience, covering many styles and moods. From crazed ethno folkrock, to magical, gentle, jungle folk psych
zones, to hard hitting, coke dusted fuzz rock, to insane mutant disco dance floor groove, to tweaked Americana, to acid vocal raga trance, and way beyond.
All throughout Lulas beautiful tricordio work pins things down, and for the first time he is the main vocalist (this is, after all, his first solo album!)
His is a smoke and booze steeped voice darting between crazed abandon, deep sadness, and glowing soulful humor. When things are mellow, you could easily
imagine youre hearing an outtake from Marconi Notaro or Paebiru, but the next moment youre dropped into a raging street party or dimly lit booze drenched
bar scene vibe. Frenzied guitars all over, including some tough fuzz, as well as powerful rolling bass groove, soaring violin, moog weirdness, dusted backup
vocals, and great drum kit/regional percussion interplay. Psychedelic at heart, but brimming with flashes of tropicalia, punk, prog, and pure hot blooded
rock and roll. A bizarre and amazing album. But of course, the story doesnt end there. At some point while the album was being recorded and pressed, Lula
signed a major label contact which would produce 1981s far tamer O Gosto Novo Da Vida LP. When his new label got wind of Rosa De Sangues eminent release,
they were displeased to say the least. As soon as the pressing was complete, the entire small edition was seized and destroyed, making this album by far
Brazils rarest. So rare, in fact, that even among the most hardcore Brazilian collectors the original LP is often only rumored to exist, often cited as
unreleased. A few copies did however survive, and now, 29 years later, the world can finally hear this golden key from a truly visionary artist. Packaged
in a heavy vintage style cover with exact reproduction original artwork, including the huge full color, double sided, foldout poster insert, plus an extra
insert featuring new liner notes from Lula Cortes as well as translated song titles.. ." - Time-Lag.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:45:29 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

brennser

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 10:52:31 am »
pixies win (for most absurd pricing)

http://pitchfork.com/news/35613-pixies-iminotauri-box-set-revealed/

holy shit!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 11:13:46 am »
pixies win (for most absurd pricing)

http://pitchfork.com/news/35613-pixies-iminotauri-box-set-revealed/

holy shit!

personally, the 20th anniversary box set from Warp Records looks more interesting to me (next announcement below the pixies box set).
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 02:44:22 pm »
That Warp set does look pretty serious.

I thought I read something about parties in the US and UK?
احمد

Darth Ed

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 11:47:32 pm »
Y'know, I was actually interested in getting the Pixies box set until I saw the price and the giant penis on the cover. I'll pass.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 11:50:19 pm »

For reals this time?

Kraftwerk

12345678 THE CATALOGUE

FOUR DECADES OF MASTERWORKS

CD, CD BOX SET, VINYL & DOWNLOAD

Mute: 5th OCTOBER 2009

KRAFTWERK: Electro Pioneers, living legends and globally revered masters of electronic sound, celebrate the 35th anniversary of their landmark 1974 hit ?Autobahn? by releasing digitally remastered versions of eight astounding albums on 5th October 2009. Rolling back musical barriers with every forward-thinking phase of their career, Dusseldorf's Zen masters of electronic minimalism laid the foundations for four decades of computerised pop and dance music. By chain reaction and mutation, they have influenced generations of artists in all genres, mapping musical futures yet to come. From Bowie to Daft Punk, Aphex Twin to Portishead, Dr Dre to LCD Soundsystem, and almost everyone in between, the mark of Kraftwerk is endless, endless.

In 2009 Kraftwerk have upgraded their Kling Klang masters with the latest studio technology and these eight magnificent recordings still sound like nothing else in the history of music. Kraftwerk are unique, pristine, profound and beautiful. Decades may pass, but their streamlined synthetic symphonies stand outside time, as fresh as tomorrow, transcendent and sublime.

12345678 The Catalogue will be released across the following formats;

· 8 x individual CDs presented in special slipcases featuring newly expanded artwork, including many previously unseen images all of which have been reproduced to the highest technical standards.

· CD Box Set containing 8 x CDs in ?mini-vinyl? card wallet packaging, plus individual large format booklets.

· 8 x individual heavyweight vinyl LPs with large format booklets.

· Digital downloads.

Funny how this is coming out a month after The Beatles remasters. Unfortunately, I doubt that there will also be a Kraftwerk version of Rock Band.
😐 🎶

Relaxer

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 09:43:10 am »
there's a multiple-disc set on the Stone Roses debut
at first I was kind of jazzed at the idea but I DLed the first disc, which is a remastered version of the album, and realized that was sufficient
but there's demos and b-sides and singles on the other discs, and that has some value
oword