Author Topic: Just Announced: The Non-Mid-Atlantic & Non-NYC Edition  (Read 491869 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Just Announced: The Non-Mid-Atlantic & Non-NYC Edition
« Reply #720 on: March 25, 2015, 09:42:00 am »
Not to completely de-rail the thread, but on the topic of boardies pissing off musicians - doesn't someone on here have a story about them causing Oasis to break up once? Something about them with a girl at a venue they were playing at? (I think Bristow or MPP). Whether its true or not, it's absolutely hilarious.

Yup. It's true. Epic. I'll never forget seeing Patsy Kensit's face just completely melt off when she intercepted the photo of Liam with my gal pal (which I had taken at a previous gig). Then a burly British security guard begging us to "leave now...PLEASE". The day after that Noel flew home on the Concorde after being in a huge brawl with Liam. The tour was off.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #721 on: March 25, 2015, 10:22:24 am »
Not to completely de-rail the thread, but on the topic of boardies pissing off musicians - doesn't someone on here have a story about them causing Oasis to break up once? Something about them with a girl at a venue they were playing at? (I think Bristow or MPP). Whether its true or not, it's absolutely hilarious.

Yup. It's true. Epic. I'll never forget seeing Patsy Kensit's face just completely melt off when she intercepted the photo of Liam with my gal pal (which I had taken at a previous gig). Then a burly British security guard begging us to "leave now...PLEASE". The day after that Noel flew home on the Concorde after being in a huge brawl with Liam. The tour was off.
I'm sorry, I hadn't heard the long-form version of this. Care to share again, or at least PM it to me if you don't want to bore others who've heard it before?
LVMH

« Reply #722 on: March 25, 2015, 10:29:32 am »
Hmm... possibly the genesis of a great thread

...How I pissed off my favorite musician
...How I stuck it to the man, but realized I f'd up
...How I Learned to Stop moshing and Love the nickelback
...How to Get Ahead in Advertising
slack

« Reply #723 on: March 25, 2015, 11:12:34 am »
My Strangelove for Albums Everyone Else Hates or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:16:35 am by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

« Reply #724 on: March 25, 2015, 11:15:35 am »
TSOL or Fast Fashion?

edit..I see you changed it and now my post doesn't make sense
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #725 on: March 25, 2015, 11:25:28 am »

I'm sorry, I hadn't heard the long-form version of this. Care to share again, or at least PM it to me if you don't want to bore others who've heard it before?

During the heyday of Britpop, I had a friend (I'll call her Jane) who was a Britpop groupie. She was a social gal...traveling to London often, hanging with all the big bands, clubbing, etc. This is the girl who showed me her photos of hanging backstage with the Smiths at the Smith Center show they did in 1986. Anyway, a lot of times I was her tagalong friend and she quickly caught the eye of Liam Gallagher. Every time they came through (from late 1994 to 1997 was a lot) we'd go see them and inevitably get backstage passes. Then Liam met Patsy Kensit (yeah, Lethal Weapon 2 gal) and Jane was put on the backburner. But that being said, she hadn't disappeared from Liam's radar completely. We went to see Oasis/Screaming Trees/Manic Street Preachers at the 'Lube (then known as the Nissan Pavilion) Sept. 10, 1996. We went backstage and there was this trailer with a window in the door...we could see the band hanging out through the window and Jane and I were waiting to be let in. Jane presented a photo of her and Liam to the head of security (which was proof that they weren't just acquaintances), and he was about to bring it back to Liam to get the OK for us to go back and say hello, but the photo was intercepted by Patsy, who promptly lost her mind and started screaming. We were asked to leave the premises immediately but by that point the damage was done. I can only speculate what happened as the band traveled to Charlotte, but needless to say, I'd like to think that Jane (for a split second) became Yoko and she broke up the new Beatles. It was kinda awesome.

Most awkward backstage moment: watching David Thomas of Pere Ubu have a nervous breakdown. Lesson: just because the band lets you back there doesn't mean you BELONG there. The whole "hanging backstage" thing lost its luster very quickly, but every now and then cool stuff would happen. Two of my favorites were the Chemical Brothers and the Bad Seeds. Very fun.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:37:35 am by bearman »

« Reply #726 on: March 25, 2015, 11:28:36 am »
+2500 ....bearman wins, close this place down!
slack

« Reply #727 on: March 25, 2015, 11:38:12 am »
POTW, Bearman, that's fantastic.  :D
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #728 on: March 25, 2015, 11:43:06 am »
POTW, Bearman, that's fantastic.  :D

Thanks...it was really, really funny. Watching the whole thing unravel via tabloids (let's remember this was all before social media) was SO entertaining. And Jane was mortified. (And I'm sure somewhat delighted too.)

vansmack

« Reply #729 on: March 25, 2015, 12:53:48 pm »
I'm just going to assume this is what Jane looks like:

Or this:

27>34

bearman🐻

« Reply #730 on: March 25, 2015, 02:36:59 pm »
God, I wish that I was hanging out with people that cool. Remember, I'm secretly a dork.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #731 on: April 08, 2015, 11:42:59 am »
Cold Waves IV in Chicago September 25 + 26 ? Metro ? Chicago

Godflfesh, Frontline Assembly, Pop Will Eat Iself, Lustmord, Severed Heads, Lead into Gold + more

« Reply #732 on: April 14, 2015, 03:32:12 pm »
slack

wml7

« Reply #733 on: May 28, 2015, 08:25:17 am »

;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #734 on: July 21, 2015, 10:19:19 pm »
you may all commence wetting your pants: