Author Topic: Ween Roll Call?  (Read 9416 times)

nkotb

Ween Roll Call?
« on: July 16, 2009, 11:02:19 am »
Anyone heading up to Baltimore tonight for the show?

heather

Re: Ween Roll Call?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:34:25 pm »
yes!  and i'm leaving work early  ;D

edbert

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:51:17 pm »
no but I'd like to read your review of it tomorrow

RustyOrgan

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 01:58:53 pm »
Nope!  FRANK BLACK instead!!

walkonby

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 04:38:21 pm »
i would of love to have gone, but baltimore is 2 hours one way for me, without traffic, and sorry but on a work week, not even julian's rsvp crystal goblet champagne nibbly hour could get me out of the house.  ween should play in my backyard.  i've got a huge bonfire pit and would have bbq ribs straight off the grill plus serve free grolsh and hofbrau.

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 04:33:28 am »
Holy shit, tonight ruled.  After my bout with ho-hummedness with the Wilco show, I was wondering if I was seeing some of these bands too much.  And given this was Ween show 15 or 16 of mine (and me not being super psyched on the last two shows), I thought it might be more of the same.

Instead, they killed it, and my gripes about their setlists always being better the night after I see them went out the window:

intro jam
I Can't Put My Finger On It
Transdermal Celebration
The Grobe
Gabrielle
Bananas And Blow
Learnin To Love
She Fucks Me
Even If You Don't
Mister, Would You Please Help My Pony?
Porkroll Egg & Cheese
Boy's Club
The Stallion Part 3
Your Party
I'll Be Your Jonny On The Spot
Object
You Were The Fool
Zoloft
Spinal Meningitis
Ohio
Mononucleosis
Sorry Charlie
Woman And Man
Slow Down Boy
The Beacon Lght
Booze Me Up And Get Me High
Fiesta

ENCORE:
Touch My Tooter
Fat Lenny (12 Minutes guitar freakout)

Definitely filled with some great rare live tracks (I haven't heard You Were The Fool since the '96 country tour), personal favorites (Mononucleosis, Sorry Charlie, The Stallion), and a bunch I had never heard before (Slow Down Boy and Woman & Man, which was BRUTAL).  And it didn't hurt that they skipped Back to Basom.

I can't wait to hear the boot of this.

Also, it's 4:30 am, and I'm up after just 2 and a half hours sleep to head to Chicago for work and Pitchfork...

</fanboy rant>

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 09:42:23 am »
Damn.

The last Ween show I caught was Sonar and that soured me.

Was Claude on drums or did they have someone else?
احمد

heather

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 10:31:26 am »
yeah, claude was on drums.

it was the third time i've seen ween, and i think i've finally realized that i don't really get it.  i "tweeted" the show; i'd copy & paste all my updates if i could figure it out.  this was a recurring thought:  "observation: most ween fans are smelly, unattractive white guys."

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:37:29 am »
Their fanbase  was infiltrated by the smelly hippie crowd years ago. Blame it on Phish for covering Roses are Free.

Yeah Walkonby, I said it.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 11:45:34 am »
Their fanbase  was infiltrated by the smelly hippie crowd years ago. Blame it on Phish for covering Roses are Free.

Yeah Walkonby, I said it.

and here i thought most live shows were patroned by smelly white guys.

edbert

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 01:00:08 pm »
It isn't the physical characteristics of the Ween fans that annoy me, it's how giddy they can get; cheering absolutely everything the band does like mental patients. The worst was a show I saw when one of the guys said the word "brown" while bantering between songs. I mean, seriously, you're cheering hysterically because the guy said "brown"?  Ugh.

heather

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 01:16:43 pm »
there were quite a few of those, jumping up & down, clapping wildly, screaming "yeah! YEAH!!"  i can appreciate that passion to some extent.

me saying they're ugly & smelly-- probably uncalled for :)

nkotb

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 01:44:28 pm »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually find the frat boy fans LESS offensive than the hippies.  Sure the frat guys were super jazzed about everything, and talking about all of the taped shows they've downloaded, freaking out about Ween-lexicon things, etc.  But they also are super polite, easy going, and offered me free beer and weed (alas, an hour long drove stopped me from the former, and DARE stopped me from the later).

The hippies seemed way too scene-based.  I saw a number of dudes push their way to the front like asses, then stand around bored until their friends met up with them.  Only then were they into the music, man!

But I agree with heather, the guys are smelly and ugly.  However, female Ween fans seem unbelievably hot and know every word to every song.

there were quite a few of those, jumping up & down, clapping wildly, screaming "yeah! YEAH!!"  i can appreciate that passion to some extent.

me saying they're ugly & smelly-- probably uncalled for :)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 01:48:20 pm »
Have never been a Ween fan at all so I haven't a clue what's up with the band. In fact, I always had this bad habit of confusing them with Weezer whom I equally dislike. Just want to know if Kramer was with them?

Here's the strange part that I bet even a lot of the hardcore Ween fans may not know. Kramer is now one of the new gods of the Shoegaze movement. If fact, if I considered in any way whatsoever of seeing them, it would be solely for Kramer on the oft chance that I'd get to speak with him for a bit. Most of you probably know that he does production work for various bands. Many of them are those bands that I sometimes go on about in here that ya'll ignore. Go figure!

brennser

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 02:20:34 pm »
I thought this was the best place to note that #thankyouNKOTB is one of the trending topics on Twitter today

an appropriate tribute to NKOTB being an all round splendid fellow!