Author Topic: Fewer club shows selling out?  (Read 11885 times)

Sir HC

Re: Fewer club shows selling out?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 05:57:18 pm »
Compared to past years I would say the last year has had the club selling out a lot more than it used to.  I think a big thing is that when shows sell out they "disappear" so you don't see they are even happening.

That said, this is the lulls of summer, everyone getting ready to go back to school or on vacation, so not a great touring time (like Jan/Feb too).

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 06:11:18 pm »
Stern has never been remotely worth listening to.

walkonby

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 06:19:38 pm »
Stern has never been remotely worth listening to.

somehow such a statement from said man of your soul caliber . . . is not surprising.   :P

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2009, 09:06:30 am »
some shows sell out

some don't

I don't see any trend either way...there's an example for each to counter the other

walkonby

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2009, 09:10:48 am »
some shows sell out

some don't

I don't see any trend either way...there's an example for each to counter the other

i like your use of s's.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 02:02:28 pm »
Nothing I want to see at the club in the next 4 weeks...sucks. :/
(_|_)

Giles

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 10:06:52 am »
I agree not alot of bands peek my interest.  And the tours that do happen, come no where near DC. (i.e, Manic Street Preachers)  This year has been surprisingly weak in terms of touring, great albums but 'live' shows - no.  Even the Pet Shop Boys show at DAR (which was close to sold out in 2007) was sparse in attendence - I gather the high tix price was a major factor. 

eltee

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 05:47:35 pm »
Since this thread there are a TON of shows at the club I want to see. I just can't afford them all.
BC prices are decent, but it's still hard to go out during the week. (a separate issue from recession)
IOTA and Jammin' Java just don't bring the bands I want to see regularly. I haven't ventured to RnR. I'm not frequent enough to DC9 / VL to comment.

andyrichter

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 07:35:36 pm »
I agree not alot of bands peek my interest.  And the tours that do happen, come no where near DC. (i.e, Manic Street Preachers)  This year has been surprisingly weak in terms of touring, great albums but 'live' shows - no.  Even the Pet Shop Boys show at DAR (which was close to sold out in 2007) was sparse in attendence - I gather the high tix price was a major factor. 

I'm the complete opposite.  This year I may have seen not only the most shows but some of the best shows I've ever seen in about 13 years now of going to shows.  Sonic Youth, Neko Case, The Damned, Denali, Naked Raygun, PJ Harvey have all been flat out excellent.  And there's still tons of great shows I'm looking foward to this fall.  Pixies, Jesus Lizard, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bob Mould, Dinosaur Jr, Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Ted Leo and more.