Author Topic: Going to Super Furry Animals in NY or NJ?  (Read 16946 times)

gaaaaaaaaah

Re: Going to Super Furry Animals in NY or NJ?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 01:08:41 pm »
Yea, if all else fails, I'm more than fine with a 30 minute walk.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 02:01:15 pm »
Does this mean the Greyhound station is a less than desirable place to wait for a long amount of time?

it's not interesting or nice, but it's not dangerous either.  if you're in NYC you can do so much better for yourself.  i don't know of any interesting bars around port authority bus terminal, whereas from the highline ballroom you'll be steps away from the meatpacking district, chelsea, west village, etc.  hang out there after the show and grab a subway 30 mins before your bus (or a cab 20 mins before). 

do yourself a favor: know which gate your return bus is leaving from.  arriving at the station at 1:30 am and trying to figure out which gate you need to be at can nerve-wracking as the seconds to departure tick away...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:04:24 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 02:05:17 pm »
^I've done this before. Fun times.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 02:21:11 pm »
Then there was the time when Joe and I got to the 1:45 bus only to find out that it was full and that we had to wait until 3:45. It was Joe's fault. Because it's always Joe's fault.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:24:55 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 02:25:31 pm »
major fail on your part, buddy. You forgot to get in line downstairs. You were a wet duckling upstairs waiting for me. And you did not read the disclaimer in the back of the ticket about being first-come first served. FAIL.

hen there was the time when Joe and I got to the 1:45 bus only to find out that it was full and that we had to wait until 3:45. It was Joe's fault. Because it's always Joe's fault.

(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 02:27:53 pm »
Still, your fault.
احمد

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 04:36:30 pm »
Thanks for all this.

So, basically, if I know what gate I'm leaving from, and don't need to go through will call or anything, I can show up at the station pretty close to the actual departure time?

Also a Greyhound rookie, so bear with me here.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 05:06:23 pm »
Another opener added to the set:
The March Fourth!
HeyLa

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2009, 05:22:50 pm »
So, basically, if I know what gate I'm leaving from, and don't need to go through will call or anything, I can show up at the station pretty close to the actual departure time?

you'll want your bus ticket in hand  - buy a return trip ticket so you don't need to deal with the ticket office on the way back.

i might be wrong here, but i believe that most greyhound buses don't have reserved seating - it's first come first serve, and they don't guarantee you a spot even if you have a ticket.  so you might not want to arrive 2 minutes before departure if there is any concern of the bus selling out.  please call greyhound  (or whatever other bus service you're using) to confirm this

otherwise, if there are empty seats then yeah you can roll on in just a few minutes before departure time.
<sig>

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2009, 05:30:23 pm »

you'll want your bus ticket in hand  - buy a return trip ticket so you don't need to deal with the ticket office on the way back.

i might be wrong here, but i believe that most greyhound buses don't have reserved seating - it's first come first serve, and they don't guarantee you a spot even if you have a ticket.  so you might not want to arrive 2 minutes before departure if there is any concern of the bus selling out.  please call greyhound  (or whatever other bus service you're using) to confirm this

otherwise, if there are empty seats then yeah you can roll on in just a few minutes before departure time.
Yea, I already have my tickets.  Considering it's a bus leaving at 1:45 Saturday morning, I don't think it'll be that high demand, but I may call Greyhound and see if this is true.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2009, 05:45:56 pm »
Yea, I already have my tickets. 

excellent, one less thing for you to worry about at 1:40 AM.

Considering it's a bus leaving at 1:45 Saturday morning, I don't think it'll be that high demand

it's NYC on a saturday night... chances of other folks doing the same as you (seeing a show/going out, then taking a bus home instead of spending the night) are pretty good.  no idea if there are enough to sell out a bus, but remember that NYC is the city that never sleeps... we ain't in DC no more :P
<sig>

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 10:42:09 am »
Don't know if anyone's interested in a review, but this was an incredible show.  They just felt like they clicked more than at the 930 show last year, which was still a great performance.  Highlight of the night for me was an insanely epic performance of Crazy Naked Girls, followed by Gruff playing Fire In My Heart by himself, while they fixed the PA system.  It wasn't on the setlist, and I never thought I'd get to see that one done live.  Good stuff. A pretty well constructed setlist, too.  The new songs they played work really well live, and all the older classics sounded as great as always.  And they played Blerwytirhwng? 

Great crowd.  Everyone seemed really into the entire set.  There was definitely some energy there that was lacking in DC last year.

As for getting there in the first place, Richmond to New York and back within 24 hours is rough.  Definitely worth it, but all those hours on Greyhound buses add up.  Getting around NYC was a piece of cake, so thanks anyone who pitched in suggestions.

Setlist, if anyone cares:

Slow Life
Rings Around the World
Juxtapozed With U
Golden Retriever
Hello Sunshine
Mt.
Moped Eyes
Demons
If You Don't Want Me To Destroy You
Inaugural Trams
The Very Best Of Neil Diamond
White Socks/Flip Flops
Pric
Earth
Blerwytirhwng?
The International Language of Screaming
Neo-Consumer
God! Show Me Magic
Crazy Naked Girls
Earth (reprise)
Fire In My Heart (just Gruff onstage for most of the song)
The Man Don't Give A Fuck (started at the first drum break-->chorus section, actually)
Keep The Cosmic Trigger Happy

Overall, amazing show.  Hopefully they do a full-on US tour next year.  I'd love to see them in DC again.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 11:41:39 am »
Agreed.

Show was really awesome. Gruff sounded really good when the sound was working, but half the time it was pretty bad. Vocals were non-existent at least in the middle of the room. Was a really great setlist and a 2 hour show was really perfect. They played a great mix of stuff and not one of us left disappointed. The International Language of Screaming was really great and loved Crazy Naked Girls. Im always happy when I hear Rings Around The World. I thought there were a few other songs played that arent on the setlist, but I could be wrong.

The openers left a lot to be desired. The first band was really bad and the lead singer couldnt hold a note to save his life. Although "my new favorite color is fabulous" has become a joke with friends. That was a pretty amusing song. Real Estate were ok, but overall pretty boring. So totally disappointed with openers, but SFA was completely worth it.
HeyLa

Chip Chanko

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2009, 12:08:59 pm »
Maxwell's show was great. Same setlist as the friday show (minus Fire in My Heart). Mix sounded good except on Inaugural Trams...couldn't hear the keyboard which is one of the main components of that song. Nothing off Hey Venus and would have liked to have heard a few more off the new album (Cardiff in the Sun, Where Do You Wanna Go > Lliwiau Llachar.

Also, I wish they would retire The Man Don't Give a Fuck and play something like She's Got Spies or Mountain People for their last song. Or The Door to this House Remains Open. Something like that.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2009, 12:21:02 pm »
I'm fine with TMDGAF sticking around.  It's a great song, and the crowd gets super into it.

However, I'd love to see them bring back the "orangely out of its head" techno freakout Mountain People finale. 

As for the openers, I didn't love or hate them.  They were about as expected for two young local bands.  Not terrible, but I'd never listen to them in another setting.  There were good moments, though, I thought.

I'm surprised they've ditched Hey Venus stuff so quickly.  We got Neo-Consumer, and that was it.  And nothing from Love Kraft, so no Zoom.  Which is a shame.  But I could nitpick forever on a perfect Furries setlist.  This was a good mix of their whole catalogue, popular and obscure.