Author Topic: zz top?!?  (Read 18504 times)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
Re: zz top?!?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 08:45:51 am »
For those following the Joe Perry Project side of this, word is now that Mr Perry is currently in the process of booking a tour that will start some time in October and run through some time as late as February.  Shows should end up being booked mostly in smaller venues like clubs and theaters.  No word yet on when anything will be announced officially.  Also I am getting my info from a source one step away from where I usually get it so take the whole thing with as many grains of salt as you deem appropriate.
FUKIT

Cali

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 10:12:27 am »
i'm looking forward to it. will be there sunday

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 10:54:09 am »
i scored a pair of tickets for well below cost - woohooo!

see y'all tonight... i'll be the one slurring the words to "la grange" and "sleeping bag" :)
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 10:57:59 am »
maybe I can just show up tonite at the door with $30 in hand?

will they do "shook me all night long"?
(_|_)

d.c.1

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 12:56:11 pm »
Anybody know if the set will be the same for both nights?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 09:48:45 am »
any reviews
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 10:07:38 am »
any reviews

obviously not, if there were you'd be reading them here.

i'll post a few thoughts as soon as i get time this morning.  recap: it was excellent.  if you're a fan of electric blues-rock, this is your show.  i had a blast.

more soon.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 10:29:24 am »
Joe thought ZZ Top was AC/DC up until yesterday.

True story.

I just wish I didn't close that IM window.

"Aren't they the band that did 'You Shook Me All Night Long?'"
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 10:43:24 am »
he said as much in this thread...

while such a specific confusion is funny, their shows are very similar in terms of energy, ball-to-the-wall rock, lack of anything cerebral, etc.  i was going to say as much in my review (still forthcoming).
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 10:55:23 am »
Hahaha I missed that earlier.
احمد

wml7

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 10:58:56 am »
he said as much in this thread...

while such a specific confusion is funny, their shows are very similar in terms of energy, ball-to-the-wall rock, lack of anything cerebral, etc.  i was going to say as much in my review (still forthcoming).

yeah I saw that quote earlier and thought he probably is being sarcastic  ;D

Cali

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 11:10:23 am »
i had a good time. there were times when i couldnt hear billy that well but i didnt care. they looked and sounded great. their little dance moves are funny. if those old dudes can play almost 1.5 hours, no reason these younger bands cant play longer.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 11:22:11 am »
MAJOR. FAIL.

Hahaha I missed that earlier.

(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 11:32:32 am »
You're one to talk about fails.

"I thought they were from Australia? This says Texas."
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 03:30:51 pm »
i was shocked at how early the club filled up.  anyone hoping for rail tonight, or a seat at the bar upstairs, is advised to be in line before doors.  we got there 15 minutes after they opened and everything was taken.  we settled for a first riser on the left side. 

had dinner at the club - a deluxe veggie panini & chicken-pesto-etc sammich.  both were delicious.

the openers, Justin Jones and The Driving Rain, were pretty good.  justin, a bartender at the club, related the story of having been asked to open for zz top just a few days ago.  i'd say he & his band rose to the occasion admirably.  tight band playing well-crafted songs in a country-rock vein.  good stuff.

zz top, as mentioned previously, were a blast.  every girl and boy went crazy for those three sharp-dressed men - ok, two sharp-dressed men, frank was rocking the jeans and t-shirt look.  bill & dusty's choreographed moves are classic, and yes, they're still rocking the fuzzy guitars - see the pix: http://picasaweb.google.com/sweetcell/ZZTopAt930Club (yes, i took a lot of pix - sue me, i have a soft spot for texas bluesmen with foot-long beards).

as one might expect, the crowd was on the geriatric side.  seems like the only people younger than me that i saw (other than cali) were kids tagging along with their parents.  didn't hurt the energy of the show, tho, people were hootin' and hollerin' and having a grand ol' time.

you simply cannot be a fan of straight-up rock'n'roll and not enjoy zz top live.  a highly recommended show.  if it wasn't for my patriots playing tonight (i'm nervious about brady) and the price tag, i'd definitely be there again tonight. 

actually, i'm still considering it.
<sig>