Author Topic: zz top?!?  (Read 18499 times)

SPARX

Re: zz top?!?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 03:35:16 pm »
Did they play Francine?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 03:43:42 pm »
nope.
<sig>

SPARX

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 04:07:21 pm »
What a shame. Great song. I figured as much though, that whole release is underrated IMO.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 07:53:20 pm »
i was shocked at how early the club filled up.  anyone hoping for rail tonight, or a seat at the bar upstairs, is advised to be in line before doors.  we got there 15 minutes after they opened and everything was taken.  we settled for a first riser on the left side. 

had dinner at the club - a deluxe veggie panini & chicken-pesto-etc sammich.  both were delicious.

the openers, Justin Jones and The Driving Rain, were pretty good.  justin, a bartender at the club, related the story of having been asked to open for zz top just a few days ago.  i'd say he & his band rose to the occasion admirably.  tight band playing well-crafted songs in a country-rock vein.  good stuff.

zz top, as mentioned previously, were a blast.  every girl and boy went crazy for those three sharp-dressed men - ok, two sharp-dressed men, frank was rocking the jeans and t-shirt look.  bill & dusty's choreographed moves are classic, and yes, they're still rocking the fuzzy guitars - see the pix: http://picasaweb.google.com/sweetcell/ZZTopAt930Club (yes, i took a lot of pix - sue me, i have a soft spot for texas bluesmen with foot-long beards).

as one might expect, the crowd was on the geriatric side.  seems like the only people younger than me that i saw (other than cali) were kids tagging along with their parents.  didn't hurt the energy of the show, tho, people were hootin' and hollerin' and having a grand ol' time.

you simply cannot be a fan of straight-up rock'n'roll and not enjoy zz top live.  a highly recommended show.  if it wasn't for my patriots playing tonight (i'm nervious about brady) and the price tag, i'd definitely be there again tonight. 

actually, i'm still considering it.

eff it - i'm in.  again.  as my reliable source pointed out, with regards to the game, i won't be "missing shit but the Pats covering the line by double-digits".

should be at the club in 30 mins.
<sig>

wml7

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2009, 09:45:28 pm »
Go Bills!  ;D

great, just great
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:17:47 pm by wml7 »

TheREALHunter

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 11:56:42 pm »
Fucking incredible show tonight!
Question for Sweetcell: Did the setlist vary much from last night?
And did they play "Party on the Patio" last night as well? 

Cali

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 12:36:47 am »
it was an old crowd last night lol. sweetcell, i didnt look for u guys for fear of losing my good viewing spot.

Relaxer

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2009, 10:54:01 am »
Hope the show was good because that Buff/NE game was great
oword

d.c.1

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2009, 12:07:21 pm »
had a blast last night!  anybody have setlists for both nights?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 12:24:29 pm »
gotta start off by saying the 930 Club has the best staph ever.  EVER.  courteous, professional, friendly, attention to detail... nightclub 930 is in a league of its own in this town for 2 reasons: the talent it brings to the stage, and the great people that work there.

last night's show was equally excellent as sunday's performance, because by and large it was the same performance.  as far as i could tell it was the exact same setlist, down to the "foxy lady" cover (and "party on the patio").  they did all the same shticks as the previous night: female "technicians" to bring out his blues hat, lighting up a cigar during the encore, many of the same song banter/intros, etc.  but i loved it.  it's what a rock show should be like, in my books. 

added a ton more pix: http://picasaweb.google.com/sweetcell/ZZTopAt930Club

it was an old crowd last night lol. sweetcell, i didnt look for u guys for fear of losing my good viewing spot.

yeah, folks were a little more subdued than on sunday.  last night looked 75-80% full, whereas sunday was 90% sold out (all numbers are unofficial 8)).  at least no one was ejected while in a half-nelson last night :D  we were down on the floor about 7 or 8 people back from the rail.  we could have pushed farther forward had we really wanted to, there was a lot of space between people.
<sig>

TheREALHunter

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2009, 12:52:42 pm »
Sweetcell: Thanks for the heads up, I figured that the standards were the same but wasn't sure about some of the B-list songs scattered throughout the set (just so happens that "Party on the Patio" is one of my favorites B-list or not HAHA so I was psyched to hear it).  Sounds like I did OK by picking the night with the smaller crowd.

hannnah

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2009, 01:17:34 pm »
God, that was a blast. :) No complaints at all about the set list - the only track they skipped that I wouldn't have minded hearing was "Heard it on the X," but they more than made up for it with the rest of the set.   The crowd was pretty amusing.  It's not like we're old, but the spouse and I are getting to the point where older than the average punter at most 9:30 shows, so it's kind of weird to go to a show where we're vastly younger than average. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2009, 01:39:00 pm »
Sounds like I did OK by picking the night with the smaller crowd.

you really couldn't go wrong either way, both shows were excellent.  there was a little more space last night, vs. a slightly more energetic crowd on sunday - but not a huge difference.  above all, the band was on fire both nights and that's what really counted.

billy gibbons belongs in the pantheon of rock guitarist.  at the peak of their popularity their synth sounds over-shadowed the guitar work, but seeing them live really puts the six-string back in the spotlight.  speaking of synths, there were a few songs that they played to tape but the backing parts were way back in the mix - it was a very subtle effect, instead of wondering where all the extra chords and percussions came from.  tasteful.

have i mentioned what great staph the club has?  do you hear me, management?
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2009, 01:41:39 pm »
had a blast last night!  anybody have setlists for both nights?

don't have an exact set list, but this is what i remember them playing:
got me under pressure
jesus just left chicago  (might not have been played both nights)
pincushion
party on the patio
cheap sunglasses
future blues
mexican blackbird (might not have been played both nights)
foxy lady
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
just got paid
gimme all your lovin?
sharp dressed man
legs
la grange
tush

i'm missing a few songs in there, and don't blame me if i'm remembering something wrong... t'was 2 somewhat drunken nights :)

i would have liked to hear "sleeping bag", but certainly can't complain.
<sig>

mekmad

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2009, 01:45:37 pm »
I can't believe they didn't play TV Dinner..  I can't believe they had a song called TV Dinner..

Saw that person on Sunday getting carried out at the end in the headlock, not sure what that was all about.

Great show, lots of fun..