Author Topic: Silver Mt. Zion, tonight  (Read 2195 times)

Aphex

Silver Mt. Zion, tonight
« on: August 02, 2006, 02:51:00 pm »
Is anyone going to this?

I loved Godspeed at 930 a few years back, but never got into a Zion album as much as Efrim's other projects. Has anyone seen them who would really suggest going?

matts

Re: Silver Mt. Zion, tonight
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 03:13:00 pm »
Based on Godspeed's last performance, I don't think I could let myself miss it.

distance

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 04:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Aphex:
  Is anyone going to this?

I loved Godspeed at 930 a few years back, but never got into a Zion album as much as Efrim's other projects. Has anyone seen them who would really suggest going?
my guess would be that most people here probably haven't seen asmz yet considering this is their first US tour and prior to the start of the tour, they'd only played one show in the US ever.

i wanted to go, but i can't make it, though.  i'm still considering the trek to harrisburg at the end of the month, though... so i still have a chance to catch them.

matts

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 12:45:00 pm »
Honestly, the ASMZ show fell short of my, admittedly very high, expectations.

There were great moments, but they were often joined by lengths of quiet music that barely stood up to the noise of a restless crowd.  Vocals were a great addition at times but distracting at others.

It was worth $12 and 2 hours of my time, but not the momentous experience I had hoped for.

Anyone catch Orkestar?

Aphex

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 03:51:00 pm »
Yeah, I did. Basically they had three members of Silver, but the vocals were in Yiddish. It was Jewish traditional. I really could not stop myself from smirking the whole time.

I agree about the main act, though. Efrim needs some vocal help and not facing the audience, in my opinion, is bullshit...no matter who you are. Their music is not as compelling as Godspeeds nor is Silver's music as good live as it is on the record. It missed the mark for me, but yes, it was worth the 12 bucks and fun seeing all the scenesters.

But hell, Sleater tonight, that'll bump my spirits.

Reod Dai

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 03:49:00 am »
I really wanted to see A Silver Mt. Zion, but ended up deciding on Death Cab for Cutie and Mates of State up in State College, PA.  Can't really say I regret it, either.  There's a slight chance I'll catch them in Harrisburg at the end of the month.

snailhook

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 05:53:00 pm »
gotta agree with most of the sentiments expressed here...i didn't like ASMZ as much as i thought i would. still, they were solid, but nowhere near the transcendental experience GYBE is. didn't catch any of black ox, who were phenomenal when i booked them at the warehouse in summer 2004. the yiddish shtick is laid on thick, to be sure, but at least two of the members are of yiddish heritage, so they have some personal knowledge and history regarding that culture.