Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182214 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1560 on: September 28, 2012, 10:37:35 am »
I tasted the Deus Ex Machina a few weeks ago at the brewery and it was not good - waaaaay too bitter

A buddy who had it last night had the same reaction to his first taste of it a few weeks ago but said it was drinking fantastically last night so I have no idea if a few more weeks mellowed it out at all

Or maybe we're just all full of shit  ::)

whoever named the beer deus ex machina would be very pleased to read this.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1561 on: September 28, 2012, 10:38:34 am »
Does anybody know if DC Brau ever posts what they have on draft over at the brewery, or do you just have to see what they have when you arrive?

Planning on making our second visit Saturday.

they usually tweet what they are pouring day of.

HoyaSaxa03

(o|o)

hutch

« Reply #1563 on: September 28, 2012, 12:30:09 pm »
if you are what you drink republicans are shit.

brennser

« Reply #1564 on: September 28, 2012, 12:31:28 pm »
Does anybody know if DC Brau ever posts what they have on draft over at the brewery, or do you just have to see what they have when you arrive?

DC Brau Brewing ‏@dcbrau
Beer 4 tomorrow's Growler Hours 12-4pm. (DRAFT) Last Keg of DEUS, Embers, Corruption, Citizen, Public (Can) Corruption, Citizen and Public.

Its a real pity there is no more (at least for now) of their Middle Name Danger Saison collab w/ Stillwater - that shit was the bomb

James Ford

« Reply #1565 on: September 28, 2012, 12:32:58 pm »
They're both equally crappy.

Guinness is the only one on that chart I'd ever touch.

if you are what you drink republicans are shit.

James Ford

« Reply #1566 on: September 28, 2012, 12:35:23 pm »
Thanks! Looks like I made the right decision not trying Deus at Smoke and Barrel, thinking/hoping i might get to try it at the brewery tomorrow.

DC Brau Brewing ‏@dcbrau
Beer 4 tomorrow's Growler Hours 12-4pm. (DRAFT) Last Keg of DEUS, Embers, Corruption, Citizen, Public (Can) Corruption, Citizen and Public.

Its a real pity there is no more (at least for now) of their Middle Name Danger Saison collab w/ Stillwater - that shit was the bomb

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1567 on: September 28, 2012, 07:43:04 pm »
Another new brewery opening up on the Delmarva peninsula:

3rd Wave Brewing Co.

That makes Dogfish Head
Burley Oak Brewery
Evolution Brewery
Now 3rd Wave Brewing Co.

... and I think I'm missing a couple.

There's a few wineries too.

Yeah, I'm missing a lot. The Toast Our Coast Wine & Ale Trail is a little venture I'd love to take sometime, providing I have someone else along to do the driving. The Bordeleau Winery is the place I really want to visit for lunch and wine which is in Eden, Maryland. 

K8teebug

« Reply #1568 on: October 01, 2012, 01:06:34 pm »
Has anyone been to Frisco yet to try their brew?  I haven't made it over there yet!

brennser

« Reply #1569 on: October 03, 2012, 10:38:53 am »
Has anyone been to Frisco yet to try their brew?  I haven't made it over there yet!
I was there yesterday for the first time - just had a taste of 1 of their brews - it was decent but with so much other great stuff on tap at very friendly prices I went for the more established names on their list

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1570 on: October 03, 2012, 02:20:17 pm »
where/what is "frisco"?  del frisco's?
<sig>

Darth Ed

« Reply #1571 on: October 03, 2012, 02:49:23 pm »
Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

http://www.friscogrille.com/beers.php

James Ford

« Reply #1572 on: October 03, 2012, 03:24:10 pm »
Oh, I didn't realize that's what she was referring to.
Been there a couple of times, even though I live in NoVA.
Found the beer to be a bit overpriced and the food a bit meh. But it's Columbia, so I reckon it's slim pickings for places with good beer.

Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

http://www.friscogrille.com/beers.php

Darth Ed

« Reply #1573 on: October 03, 2012, 11:35:55 pm »
The food is mostly meh, but there are a few things on the menu that are consistently quite good. As with a lot of places, you just have to know how to order. I agree that the beer prices are kind of expensive, but their prices are cheaper than Dogfish Head Alehouse and Churchkey DC, for example. Alcohol is taxed more in in MD than VA, so that should be taken into consideration.

I'm not a resident of Columbia, but I have friends who are. Columbia actually has several good places for quality beer besides just Frisco Grille. The other one that stands out is Victoria Gastro-Pub, which has better, more sophisticated food than Frisco Grille and their rotating beer selection is comparable, but it's also more expensive. They also have a very large list of bottled beers not found on their website.

http://victoriagastropub.com/

And Rams Head Tavern in Savage Mill is only a few miles away from Columbia. While they have a handful of quality beers on tap in the Rathskellar and the Fordham house beers are pretty good, I actually prefer their selection of imported bottled beers.

http://www.ramsheadtavern.com/savage/documents/2012%20Savage%20Drink%20Menu.pdf
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:48:26 pm by Darth Ed »

brennser

« Reply #1574 on: October 04, 2012, 07:34:16 am »
I was there for happy hour and their prices beat the pants off of just about every beer place in DC

I agree that the beer prices are kind of expensive, but their prices are cheaper than Dogfish Head Alehouse and Churchkey DC, for example. Alcohol is taxed more in in MD than VA, so that should be taken into consideration.