Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3170876 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1770 on: December 06, 2012, 02:25:39 pm »
Agree with Sweetcell's comments on Brooklyn BCS and Mad Elf.

I've had and enjoyed the Choklat on draft. Still though it seems like there was something artificial about the taste, but I didn't mind that.

One beer that did taste completely nasty after a year was Dogfish Punkin Ale.

atomicfront

« Reply #1771 on: December 06, 2012, 03:02:37 pm »
I didn't realize it but Pabst Brewing Company doesn't brew up beer.  They buy up breweries around the country and shut them down and just put some swill made by miller into their cans. 

Also they pay people to go into hipster bars and restaurants around the country and for them to drink PBR.  I guess in Maryland that would be National Bohemian. 

This all upsets me. 

James Ford

« Reply #1772 on: December 06, 2012, 03:30:27 pm »
Why do you find this upsetting?

I didn't realize it but Pabst Brewing Company doesn't brew up beer.  They buy up breweries around the country and shut them down and just put some swill made by miller into their cans. 

Also they pay people to go into hipster bars and restaurants around the country and for them to drink PBR.  I guess in Maryland that would be National Bohemian. 

This all upsets me. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1773 on: December 07, 2012, 04:24:23 pm »
just found a nice woman stocking her shelves with dogfish head 120

i only got four.  wanted more, but my bill was already over one hundred, so i stopped.

James Ford

« Reply #1774 on: December 07, 2012, 04:33:07 pm »
Does anybody have a "best beers of 2012" list? I know my list is topped by Heady Topper.

I've been to an incredible number of breweries and brewpubs in 2012. When I get around to it, I'm going to type out the list.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1775 on: December 07, 2012, 04:36:33 pm »
i asked that same nice lady, so "what's up with all of these beers in cans now?"  i hate beers in cans, but i did not tell her that.  she really did not have an answer, wondering that herself for awhile she confided.  she thought it more than likely was the not having to worry about sunlight hitting the beverage, but then you can't store beer in cans.  i don't like it.  i like bottles.  it tastes better.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:38:08 pm by walkonby »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1776 on: December 07, 2012, 08:28:34 pm »
Does anybody have a "best beers of 2012" list? I know my list is topped by Heady Topper.

I've been to an incredible number of breweries and brewpubs in 2012. When I get around to it, I'm going to type out the list.

at first i was like, that would be dumb.  then, which is now, i am like yeah that is awesome!  of course, i have had a stone ruination , a founder's old curmugeon, and a i think i started off with one of those shitty red stripes things.  god, how did i ever think that beer was good, i'll never know.  i'm a little feeling good, and a list of my favourite beers, oh shit, i spelled it the english way, would be awesome.  but let's keep it in here.  ooh, ooh.  i'm all excited now.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1777 on: December 10, 2012, 09:59:49 am »
Dogfish Head expansion moves forward

Good article. Still don't like any of their beers that I've tasted but wish them all the best.

Yada

« Reply #1778 on: December 10, 2012, 10:45:34 am »
Went to a bottle event yesterday and had some amazing beverages...

Susan by Hill Farmstead Brewery
Wookey Jack by Firestone Walker
Dreadnaught by Three Floyds
Enjoy By 12.21.12 IPA by Stone
Nelson by Apline Beer Co.
Broo Doo by Three Floyds
Duet by Alpine Beer Co.
Zombie Dust by Three Floyds
Tocobaga by Cigar City

It was a very enjoyable beer drinking day....   ;D ;D ;D ;D

James Ford

« Reply #1779 on: December 10, 2012, 11:56:13 am »
Sweetcell posted about this before, but here's more details. Looks pretty amzing!

Stone (Mostly) Complete Vertical Epic at ChurchKey

Stone (Mostly) Complete Vertical Epic at ChurchKeyNext Wednesday, schedule yourself a "work lunch", because you've really got your work cut out for you.  That day (12-12-12), Stone will release the final iteration in their Vertical Epic series, a series that has--since 2002--annually released a single and unique small batch of mind-blowing brew on one single day. Each release has not only had its very own, decidedly distinct, recipe, but each has been intended to be tasted in the future to see how those delicious flavors have  evolved.

And the good folks at ChurchKey are busting out 10 consecutive Vertical Epic brews on DRAFT at 12:12 pm (get the theme?).  That's right, the fresh 12-12-12 Vertical Epic will be on tap, but joined by the now vintage kegs of 03-03-03. 04-04-04, 05-05-05, 06-06-06, 07-07-07, 08-08-08, 09-09-09, 10-10-10 and 11-11-11.

And for good measure, Stone have sent some additional draft goodies for the celebration. In addition to the straight-up versions of the 10 Vertical Epics, we will also be pouring kegs of Vertical Epic 07-07-07 Aged in Red Wine Oak Barrels, Vertical Epic 08-08-08 Aged in Bourbon Oak Barrels, as well as Vertical Epic 10-10-10 Aged in Bourbon Oak Barrels!

There is no admission for the event. ChurchKey will be opening early at 12:12 PM for the event. All Stone brews will be poured in 4 oz. tasters and in full glass pours.

The Stone Vertical Epic Finale Celebration Draft List!

?Vertical Epic 03-03-03
?Vertical Epic 04-04-04
?Vertical Epic 05-05-05
?Vertical Epic 06-06-06
?Vertical Epic 07-07-07
?Vertical Epic 08-08-08
?Vertical Epic 09-09-09
?Vertical Epic 10-10-10
?Vertical Epic 11-11-11
?Vertical Epic 12-12-12 
?Vertical Epic 07-07-07 Aged in Red Wine Oak Barrels
?Vertical Epic 08-08-08 Aged in Bourbon Oak Barrels
?Vertical Epic 10-10-10 Aged in Bourbon Oak Barrels
Neighborhood: District of Columbia
Logan Circle.Address: 1137 14th St NW
Washington  District Of Columbia  20005.
United States.Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 12:10pm.

atomicfront

« Reply #1780 on: December 10, 2012, 12:06:09 pm »
i asked that same nice lady, so "what's up with all of these beers in cans now?"  i hate beers in cans, but i did not tell her that.  she really did not have an answer, wondering that herself for awhile she confided.  she thought it more than likely was the not having to worry about sunlight hitting the beverage, but then you can't store beer in cans.  i don't like it.  i like bottles.  it tastes better.

I think it might be a hipster thing to drink beer in cans.  Only other thing is you can't take bottled beer everywhere as broken glass is a danger.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1781 on: December 10, 2012, 01:58:15 pm »
i've been listening to a lot of brewing-related podcasts recently, and a lot of breweries are excited about moving to cans.  they protect from light better than glass, and the seal is better - bottle caps can leak.  ability to take them camping, tailgaiting, etc is another advantage.  they are cheaper to ship since you can fit more beer in cans on a truck than you can in bottles (more efficient because better use of space).  cans don't break.  marketing is another reason: some people just like beer in cans, it makes them more like mainstream brews, new form factor = new markets, etc.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1782 on: December 10, 2012, 02:09:33 pm »
i cracked open my bottle of Blue Mountain "Local Species" this weekend.  from their website:

Local Species
Belgian-inspired, American-hopped, barrel-aged pale ale

Different. Secret. Native. A creation of deep-drawn well water, special barley malts, American hops and Belgian yeast. Aged in charred American White Oak bourbon barrels. A beer as original and beautiful as our native Brookie.

james, i haven't put together my top 10 beers of 2012 yet, but this one is definitely on it (along with heady topper).  what an outstanding beer.  belgian yeast + hops doesn't work for me, but apparently belgian yeast + hops + barrel aging does.  to be fair, i didn't feel that the hops were over-done - this isn't an IPA.  when i saw the $9.99/bottle price at TJ's i raised an eyebrow, however the beer lives up to the price.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #1783 on: December 10, 2012, 02:37:26 pm »
any of you brahz on uptappd?

stevewizzle

« Reply #1784 on: December 10, 2012, 02:51:40 pm »
had two rare-style (but underwhelming) tasters at CK this weekend.

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier and Piccolo Birrificio Chiostro.

13th century was basic herbs/spices, had way too much ginger.

Chiostro was brewed with wormwood, but you could barely tell.

i like the idea of using other herbs/spices to achieve bitterness in a beer, and hope to see more of these styles on draft, but these two were too basic to really push any sort of limits.