Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3171308 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1785 on: December 10, 2012, 03:34:46 pm »
Stone (Mostly) Complete Vertical Epic at ChurchKey

unless things get crazy at work on wednesday, i will be at this.  would love to meet up with anyone else going.  i need to read up on what the recipes were for each year.  if i remember correctly 10-10-10 was made with hot chilies... not my thing.

any of you brahz on uptappd?

i've been meaning to check this out, so i just signed up.  my username there is same as here.  i don't like the fact that this app wants to track how many beers i've had <insert guilt>.  we'll see how much traction this app has with me.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #1786 on: December 10, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »

unless things get crazy at work on wednesday, i will be at this.  would love to meet up with anyone else going.  i need to read up on what the recipes were for each year.  if i remember correctly 10-10-10 was made with hot chilies... not my thing.

i've been meaning to check this out, so i just signed up.  my username there is same as here.  i don't like the fact that this app wants to track how many beers i've had <insert guilt>.  we'll see how much traction this app has with me.

I only use it to keep track of unique beers, not keep track of every beer I drink!!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1787 on: December 10, 2012, 04:29:08 pm »
my liver does that for me . . . no app for that, yet.

James Ford

« Reply #1788 on: December 10, 2012, 04:37:02 pm »
11-11-11 was the one with chilis.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1789 on: December 10, 2012, 05:16:30 pm »
11-11-11 was the one with chilis.

see?  this is why i need to read up!
<sig>

mekmad

« Reply #1790 on: December 12, 2012, 06:47:34 pm »
Missed this, sold out in Laurel and Towson:

Beer aficionados are pouncing at the rare opportunity to buy one of the world's most elusive and revered beers for the first - and perhaps only - time in the United States.

It is called Westvleteren XII, and it is often hailed as the "world's best beer" by reviewers and fans.

Westvleteren XII is produced by Trappist monks in Belgium and sold at the abbey of Saint Sixtus in the Belgian countryside. The beer can usually only be purchased by reservation at the abbey - and reservations are extremely hard to come by.

But when the abbey found itself hurting for money for an expensive renovation, the monks reluctantly made the decision to sell the beer outside of the walls of the monastery on a one-time-only basis.

"I think it will be the last [time]," Westvleteren Brewery spokesman Mark Bode told NPR. "They say, 'We are monks, we don't want to be too commercial. We needed some money to help us buy the new abbey and that's it,' Back to normal again."

Beginning today, limited quantities of the beer are being sold in the U.S. and abroad. A number of stores have been sent "bricks" of the beer, which include six bottles and two glasses from the monastery. The gift box retails for $84.99.

"The phone has been ringing off the hook," Megan McBrayer, manager at New York City's Beer Table Pantry, told ABCNews.com. She said the store received 24 cases of the beer and has already sold many of them.

McBrayer said beer lovers are taken with "the whole mystique about it and the rarity of it."

"It consistently rates as one of the best beers in the world," she said. "It's been something that [beer lovers] have wanted for a long time, but it's been completely unattainable."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1791 on: December 12, 2012, 07:38:52 pm »
All verticals still available as of 6:30. Skip the barrel aged '10, otherwise it's all Belgianesque tastiness. barreled 09 is my fav so far.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1792 on: December 12, 2012, 09:30:42 pm »
Actually the 2002 was gone when I got there at 4.

I had five. All the non-barrel aged darkies. In order of preference:

Maybe the fresher the better for me?

Did anybody spot the same "celebrity" i did?

All verticals still available as of 6:30. Skip the barrel aged '10, otherwise it's all Belgianesque tastiness. barreled 09 is my fav so far.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1793 on: December 13, 2012, 10:58:47 am »
i'm pretty sure they didn't have the 02.  see your post on previous page listing the offerings - the 02 isn't there.  the 02 has become something of legend, they didn't ramp up the vertical program until 2003 so very few bottles of 02 were made. 

agreed that the darks were better than the blonds, but the 08 was a great saison.  overall my fav was the barrel-aged 09 (belgian stout)  the aged 09 isn't listed on the previous page so there is some discrepancy there... the 04 was merely ok, and as noted previously the aged 10 was not particularly good.  i didn't try the 12 since i'm hoping i can score a bottle.  so my order of preference was

09 aged
10 aged

place was packed something silly when i got there at 6:15 but i somehow got a spot at the bar.  james, if sam calagione is the "celebrity" you had in mind, then yes he was there.  dogfish head was launching two beers last night and sam got up on the bar and gave a quick speech about them before tossing hats into the crowd.  i got one ;D
<sig>

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #1794 on: December 13, 2012, 11:28:43 am »
Anybody seen any BCS Coffee around the area?

Yada

« Reply #1795 on: December 13, 2012, 11:30:46 am »
Anybody seen any BCS Coffee around the area?

Magruders had some... James Ford won't tell you his secret location.

James Ford

« Reply #1796 on: December 13, 2012, 11:57:10 am »
I stand corrected about the 02.

Yes, it was Sam that I was referring to. When he and his posse entered, he was fiercely chomping on gum, which magically disappeared once he had a beer in had. He, and I think the rest of his posse, all ordered Dogfish beers. He must have been holding them all at gumpoint.

James Ford

« Reply #1797 on: December 13, 2012, 12:02:21 pm »
P Street Whole Foods had GI Nightstalker (which I declined) yesterday, but I didn't see any BCS Coffee.

They also had Ballast Point Victory at Sea Imperial Porter, which is an amazing beer available in this area for the first time. Grabbed one of those.

brennser

« Reply #1798 on: December 15, 2012, 03:27:29 pm »
circle liquors in DC has BCBS coffee - pricey though - $21 a pop

Sieve-Fisted

« Reply #1799 on: December 16, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »
Sterling Total Wine has Coffee Stout for $11.99. One per customer, so bring a friend or loved one.

I also picked up Stone 12.12.12. I really enjoyed it at Churchkey.