Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182540 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1845 on: January 04, 2013, 11:46:52 am »
you mean i just bitched . . . for nothing?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1846 on: January 04, 2013, 11:47:55 am »
One case for the whole year? How much of that stuff do you need?  It's not like it's an everyday kind of beer. Two four packs for a year would be more than enough for me.

founders kbs for twelve dollars?  wow . . . so when every loser is killing their family to get it and nobody can get it except for one case for the whole year and the owner's friends already have a hold on all of it except for one four pack or when you drive over an hour to twenty different stores and one place will let you buy one bottle . . . it will only be twelve dollars for four.  how fucking nice of them.

no . . . i meant the store that gets it only gets one case, and they already have their friends calling dibbs.  sorry.  i don't buy that much at once.  unfair.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1847 on: January 04, 2013, 01:18:36 pm »
Word from the brewery is that they're making nearly three times as much of it this year.

hence the price drop - they can only charge $24 a pack when you have to run around town to find it.  if it's in every bottle shop....

you mean i just bitched . . . for nothing?

i'm shocked.  no really.  shocked.
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1848 on: January 04, 2013, 01:27:04 pm »
Word from the brewery is that they're making nearly three times as much of it this year.

That's good news but with the price drop I would think that folks who find it will likely buy more of it.  It would seem to increase one's chances of scoring some but it's hardly a lock.

James Ford

« Reply #1849 on: January 11, 2013, 02:53:48 pm »
Just scored a BCBS Rye Cherry for $11.99. Add that to my BCBS four pack and BCBS Coffee bomber, and the collection is complete. Picked the right day to be off from work!

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #1850 on: January 11, 2013, 04:52:10 pm »
Just scored a BCBS Rye Cherry for $11.99. Add that to my BCBS four pack and BCBS Coffee bomber, and the collection is complete. Picked the right day to be off from work!

Yep, completed the trifecta myself. The real goal is to age all of them, but considering all the hype around the Cherry Rye, it will be really difficult not to pop it open ASAP.

James Ford

« Reply #1851 on: January 12, 2013, 10:29:13 pm »
Had Boulevard Rye-on-Rye on draft Thursday and BCBS Coffee on draft today. Talk about some rocking barral aged beers.

The Rye-on Rye taste like a buttery version of Backwoods Bastard, try iy if you can.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1852 on: January 14, 2013, 03:34:28 am »
at a competition this weekend my IPA score a 39, AKA a rating of "excellent" ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:36:36 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1853 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:11 am »
Congratulations! When will you start mass producing and what other styles have you perfected?  ;D

nkotb

« Reply #1854 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:16 am »
Wow, this is a bummer for my beer consumption (but a non-bummer for my wallet); must have missed teh announcement when it happened:

Rick's Wine & Gourmet is closing its doors!!!  For the last 20 years we have had the pleasure of serving the best customers in the area.

We have lost our lease and will be closing for good on Monday December 31st at 6pm.

While we don't have a lot in stock... swing by and stock up on all Deli and Gourmet items and get 50% Off.

All Christmas items are 50% Off.

It has been a great run and we thank you all for being such great customers.

We will have fresh bread daily until the 31st.

Read further for this weekend's tastings.
http://www.rickswine.com/

James Ford

« Reply #1855 on: January 14, 2013, 11:10:21 am »
Posted that awhile ago. What other options are in Alexandria (never been, how is it)? Whole Foods, Total Wine, anything else?

Wow, this is a bummer for my beer consumption (but a non-bummer for my wallet); must have missed teh announcement when it happened:

Rick's Wine & Gourmet is closing its doors!!!  For the last 20 years we have had the pleasure of serving the best customers in the area.

We have lost our lease and will be closing for good on Monday December 31st at 6pm.

While we don't have a lot in stock... swing by and stock up on all Deli and Gourmet items and get 50% Off.

nkotb

« Reply #1856 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:46 am »
Yeah, I was out of town and then too busy to keep up on Facebook/Twitter/the Forum, so I only just found out.

Not a lot that I'm really aware of, at least not that I liked as much as Rick's.  Total Wine has a few locations, but they're a bit of a longer drive through congested areas, whereas Rick's was directly on my way home.  Whole Foods in Alexandria is OK, but nothing like the selection at Rick's.  There are a few other places I've been to here and there that have deeper selections than the usual grocery store, but again, most are somewhere out of my way. I'm lazy, if you can't tell.

Posted that awhile ago. What other options are in Alexandria (never been, how is it)? Whole Foods, Total Wine, anything else?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1857 on: January 14, 2013, 11:57:37 am »
Congratulations! When will you start mass producing and what other styles have you perfected?  ;D

thanks!

mass producing: never, unless i find a business partner who will put up all the money and deal with all the paperwork & admin.  as someone once said, "once you go pro you're no longer in the business of making beer - you're in the business of selling beer".  actual production, aka the fun part, become secondary.

i haven't perfected any style but i'm learnin'.  i've been really happy with my last few IPAs.  i currently have a belgian blond made with the Unibroue yeast that i'm rather pleased with.  my belgian dark strong (bordeline a quad) is really coming into its own.  about time to check on the tripel, it should be properly aged by now.  having a cellar that you can fill with bottles is awesome.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:12:37 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #1858 on: January 14, 2013, 06:33:50 pm »
Just got a four pack of this from a radical co worker...

I now have in possession.

Heady Topper, Zombie Dust, Pliney the Elder, Surly Abrasive... If I can hold out until Hopslam is distributed, it's going to be a hop of a time at Casa de Yada

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:37:27 pm by Yada »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1859 on: January 14, 2013, 06:43:11 pm »
Just got a four pack of this from a radical co worker...

I now have in possession.

Heady Topper, Zombie Dust, Pliney the Elder, Surly Abrasive... If I can hold out until Hopslam is distributed, it's going to be a hop of at Casa de Yada

eff the wait - drink them while they're fresh.  as cool as it would be to have that stash, you're loosing hoppiness.  get on that all ready!  at a minimum store them in the fridge, that helps preserve the hop flavor.

and when you do have that hop off, feel free to invite me.  i'll can plenty of my IPA...
<sig>