Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181255 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1935 on: January 30, 2013, 12:13:07 pm »
but, it will be a bomber.  oh no he didn't.

James Ford

« Reply #1936 on: January 30, 2013, 12:37:40 pm »
I've only been there a couple of times. Not really convenient for me either unless i was going to Jamin Java which I don't usually go to because I'm not into Christian lesbian folk music. That said, they seemed to have a slight better selection than Rick's.

I've found that the P Street Whole Foods and the Fair Lakes Whole Foods are excellent. The latter also sports 16 draft lines, cheap draft prices (compared to DC bars), with growler and individual serving options.

Looking for a new beer spot...looks like Norm's Beer & Wine (http://www.normsbeerandwine.com/index.html) might be the closest fit to Rick's.  Kind of a drive for me...anyone been/have experience/etc?

shemptiness

« Reply #1937 on: January 30, 2013, 03:31:43 pm »
Big O and Dukes' lineup for their beer tasting show which aired last night....

James Ford

« Reply #1938 on: January 30, 2013, 03:56:51 pm »
Were they purposely aiming for mediocrity, or do they just natually gravitate toward it?

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1939 on: January 30, 2013, 04:04:57 pm »
Damn I have alot of hoppy beer to drink quickly. Three Floyds Zombie Dust and Alpha King, Ska Modus Hoperandi, Firestone Walker Double Jack, Stone Enjoy By, Sierra Nevada Celebration, Lagunitas Sucks, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Two Brothers Can and Ebel, Fatheads Headhunter IPA, Troegs Nugget Nectar, Bell's Hopslam, and Sweetcell IPA. Not to mention Dogfish Burton Baton, Sierra Bigfoot, and a bunch of other hoppy barleywines that i'm aging!

Considering that I can't stand hoppy beers, would it be safe to say that this is a list of beers that I should avoid?

That Troegs Nugget Nectar sounds good though but I just can't stand all those hops in my beer.

To be honest, when it comes down to it, I enjoy a beer or two once in awhile but I'd usually prefer either a glass (or 3) of wine or some sort of liquor treat. Or a really nice cup of tea which I'm really obsessed with. Had a nice vanilla orchid earlier. Wonderful! All depends on my mood at any given time.

James Ford

« Reply #1940 on: January 30, 2013, 04:18:53 pm »
I like a glass of wine with food, but just drinking it for the taste seems wrong. Because it doesn't taste as good as beer.

That said, I almost always have some sort of food with my beer. Good thing I'm a runner.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1941 on: January 30, 2013, 04:23:40 pm »
Were they purposely aiming for mediocrity, or do they just natually gravitate toward it?

oh no he didn't . . . two oh no he didn'ts on one page; think of the odds.

James Ford

« Reply #1942 on: January 30, 2013, 04:32:23 pm »
It looks like they were tasting all local stuff. Maryland (and especially) Virginia may have great distribution form other states, but our own breweries are mostly pretty lackluster.

oh no he didn't . . . two oh no he didn'ts on one page; think of the odds.

Yada

« Reply #1943 on: January 30, 2013, 04:32:48 pm »
Damn I have alot of hoppy beer to drink quickly. Three Floyds Zombie Dust and Alpha King, Ska Modus Hoperandi, Firestone Walker Double Jack, Stone Enjoy By, Sierra Nevada Celebration, Lagunitas Sucks, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Two Brothers Can and Ebel, Fatheads Headhunter IPA, Troegs Nugget Nectar, Bell's Hopslam, and Sweetcell IPA. Not to mention Dogfish Burton Baton, Sierra Bigfoot, and a bunch of other hoppy barleywines that i'm aging!

Considering that I can't stand hoppy beers, would it be safe to say that this is a list of beers that I should avoid?

That Troegs Nugget Nectar sounds good though but I just can't stand all those hops in my beer.

To be honest, when it comes down to it, I enjoy a beer or two once in awhile but I'd usually prefer either a glass (or 3) of wine or some sort of liquor treat. Or a really nice cup of tea which I'm really obsessed with. Had a nice vanilla orchid earlier. Wonderful! All depends on my mood at any given time.

Nugget Nectar isn't really hoppy, so you'd most likely enjoy it.

shemptiness

« Reply #1944 on: January 30, 2013, 04:33:33 pm »

The guy from Oakton Wine Shop chooses the lineup.    

nkotb

« Reply #1945 on: January 31, 2013, 03:04:21 pm »
Had a meeting up that way today, so I stopped in.  I didn't have much time to really look around, but the selection did look nice.  Way too far out to make regular trips, unfortunately.  Guess I'm more or less stuck with Total Wine for the time being.

Lucky me, though...happened to stop by on a day they got in Hopslam.  Now let's just hope it's not as bad as those reviews you all posted.

Ive been out of the loop, but is Lagunitas putting out Sucks on an annual basis now?  I loved that beer.

I've only been there a couple of times. Not really convenient for me either unless i was going to Jamin Java which I don't usually go to because I'm not into Christian lesbian folk music. That said, they seemed to have a slight better selection than Rick's.

I've found that the P Street Whole Foods and the Fair Lakes Whole Foods are excellent. The latter also sports 16 draft lines, cheap draft prices (compared to DC bars), with growler and individual serving options.

Looking for a new beer spot...looks like Norm's Beer & Wine (http://www.normsbeerandwine.com/index.html) might be the closest fit to Rick's.  Kind of a drive for me...anyone been/have experience/etc?

James Ford

« Reply #1946 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:42 pm »
Apparently they are planning on making it a year round beer, but putting it in 32 oz bottles instead of six packs. Booo.

We had a Lagunitas Sucks and a Zombie Dust for dinner last night. Which was better? Two votes for Zombie Dust. None for Sucks. My daughter couldn't decide, though she thought both had cool names.

Had a meeting up that way today, so I stopped in.  I didn't have much time to really look around, but the selection did look nice.  Way too far out to make regular trips, unfortunately.  Guess I'm more or less stuck with Total Wine for the time being.

Lucky me, though...happened to stop by on a day they got in Hopslam.  Now let's just hope it's not as bad as those reviews you all posted.

Ive been out of the loop, but is Lagunitas putting out Sucks on an annual basis now?  I loved that beer.

James Ford

« Reply #1947 on: January 31, 2013, 03:24:42 pm »
So when are you hosting this thing?

Maybe we should coordinate a board bottle share, eh??

To be honest, I think I've been spoiled with amazing beers this year, but Hopslam is still pretty tasty. A little too much heat, but still quite delicious. $14 a sixer in Pittsburgh as well. DC prices are ludicrous.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1948 on: January 31, 2013, 03:34:13 pm »
i would attend if invited.  i've got some treats i can dig out of the cellar...
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #1949 on: January 31, 2013, 03:41:04 pm »
i would attend if invited.  i've got some treats i can dig out of the cellar...

I'm willing to host - I live in NW DC