Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181568 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2340 on: April 08, 2013, 05:17:33 pm »
Stone Enjoy By 5.17.13 is coming to VA.

Given that that date is our 10th anniversary, that bottle will definitely be added to my bottle collection.

i'm hoping you're adding it as a collector's item... no point in cellaring these. 

I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with those bottles. I had the 4/1/13 a few weeks ago and it was mediocre at best.

i had that one, or the previous, on draft and i gotta agree.  a nice DIPA but nothing spectacular.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2341 on: April 08, 2013, 05:29:00 pm »
Ther previous version that VA got (not 4/1), was fantastic, imo. Of course I'm not cellaring it!

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2342 on: April 09, 2013, 07:25:12 pm »
Today I tasted a Firestone IPA.

All I can say is that it was the most repulsive beer that I have ever tasted in my life!  :-X

James Ford

« Reply #2343 on: April 09, 2013, 07:30:04 pm »
Thank you for sharing.

All I can say is that it was the most repulsive beer that I have ever tasted in my life!  :-X

Jaguar

« Reply #2344 on: April 09, 2013, 09:23:56 pm »
Thank you for sharing.

That was just for you James since I knew that you would appreciate it so much. ;)

I stuck with the $3 pints of Killens Stout. Not all that great but the price sure was.

James Ford

« Reply #2345 on: April 09, 2013, 09:30:42 pm »
Review of the Alchemist Brewery (Heady Topper) on tripadvisor.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g57438-d2390430-Reviews-The_Alchemist_Brewery-Waterbury_Vermont.html#REVIEWS

?Not the best beer?

Reviewed December 6, 2011 (One star out of Five)

I recommend going somewhere else for decent beer. On tap, the beer is drinkable but nothing to write home about - in cans, it is just not good.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2346 on: April 09, 2013, 10:09:57 pm »

well that's about as surprising as someone who doesn't like shoegaze saying "i listened to Screen Vinyl Image and it was the worse noise i've ever heard in my life!" ;D

perfectly understandable that you didn't like it given your dislike of hops, but fyi it's rate 95 on beeradvocate - putting it very very high on the list of best IPAs.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2347 on: April 09, 2013, 10:10:38 pm »
Review of the Alchemist Brewery (Heady Topper) on tripadvisor.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g57438-d2390430-Reviews-The_Alchemist_Brewery-Waterbury_Vermont.html#REVIEWS

?Not the best beer?

Reviewed December 6, 2011 (One star out of Five)

I recommend going somewhere else for decent beer. On tap, the beer is drinkable but nothing to write home about - in cans, it is just not good.

awesome.  spread the word.  the sh*t is terrible.  don't go there, and don't drink any.

hopefully more for those who do appreciate the stuff!
<sig>

Jaguar

« Reply #2348 on: April 09, 2013, 11:03:14 pm »

well that's about as surprising as someone who doesn't like shoegaze saying "i listened to Screen Vinyl Image and it was the worse noise i've ever heard in my life!" ;D

perfectly understandable that you didn't like it given your dislike of hops, but fyi it's rate 95 on beeradvocate - putting it very very high on the list of best IPAs.

I don't care what they rate it. It gets a -95 in my world. Disgusting!

That Killens Stout wasn't all that hot either and I usually like stouts. Drinkable but I've had much better stouts.

I like to try new things to me so that I actually know. On occassion, I've been surprised with something that I had assumed that I would not like, or even would like, and ended up thinking otherwise.

atomicfront

« Reply #2349 on: April 10, 2013, 09:53:36 am »

I don't think Beer Advocate is a good choice to rate beer.  It is sort of mob mentality.  Once the beer gets a good rating everyone else just follows along so they don't appear to be stupid.  I have seen some great beers rated low and some bad beers rated high.  It isn't like wine ratings which are done by one organization.  If I see a great score on wine it is pretty much a given that it is pretty good.

James Ford

« Reply #2350 on: April 10, 2013, 11:09:13 am »
It sounds like you're explaining the popularity of the Lumineers or Mumford in Sons.

I'd hardly call beer advocate a "mob mentality" As best I can tell, Dogfish 90 is the most often rated beer on beer advocate, and in 11+ years it has amassed 7200 ratings. Out of what, a world population of 8 billion potential beer drinkers, 7200 people in 11 years hardly constitutes a mob.

And I'll take the collective opinion of 7200 beer geeks over the collective opinion of one or two beer geeks (or casual beer drinkers) any day.

If something is a 90 or above on beer advocate and has a good number of ratings, it's going to get my attention. If it has a 95 with 2400 ratings (the beer in question is Firestone Walker's Union Jack), I can assure you it's (the hoppy beer hating) Jaguar who is WRONG on this one.

I don't think Beer Advocate is a good choice to rate beer.  It is sort of mob mentality.  Once the beer gets a good rating everyone else just follows along so they don't appear to be stupid.  I have seen some great beers rated low and some bad beers rated high.  It isn't like wine ratings which are done by one organization.  If I see a great score on wine it is pretty much a given that it is pretty good.

atomicfront

« Reply #2351 on: April 10, 2013, 11:21:25 am »
It sounds like you're explaining the popularity of the Lumineers or Mumford in Sons.

I'd hardly call beer advocate a "mob mentality" As best I can tell, Dogfish 90 is the most often rated beer on beer advocate, and in 11+ years it has amassed 7200 ratings. Out of what, a world population of 8 billion potential beer drinkers, 7200 people in 11 years hardly constitutes a mob.

And I'll take the collective opinion of 7200 beer geeks over the collective opinion of one or two beer geeks (or casual beer drinkers) any day.

If something is a 90 or above on beer advocate and has a good number of ratings, it's going to get my attention. If it has a 95 with 2400 ratings (the beer in question is Firestone Walker's Union Jack), I can assure you it's (the hoppy beer hating) Jaguar who is WRONG on this one.

You should take your own opinion.  I like Dogfish head Namaste a lot better than 90 minute ipa.  Yet it is rated much lower.   I also really love  Raison D'Être  which doesn't get very good ratings.  I also love Burton Baton which does get great ratings. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:23:29 am by atomicfront »

stevewizzle

« Reply #2352 on: April 10, 2013, 11:34:43 am »
i agree with atomicfront and jag on this one.  

who cares if a beer is a 95 rating?  there's so many good beers out there, why do we need to differentiate them by some bullshit point system? everyones palate and style taste is different.  it's like pitchfork, but for beer.

and i do see the mob mentality. it's a bunch of clowns re-writing the same review, over and over, and trying their hardest to have the same tastes as everyone else.

James Ford

« Reply #2353 on: April 10, 2013, 11:34:54 am »
From that reply, it seems pretty clear that really hoppy beers probably aren't your thing either (?)

There's likely a dozen locally available witbiers that are better and cheaper than Namaste.

Raison D'Etre is good for the (low) price, but there's tons of strong dark Belgians (if that's really the style that it is) that are better.

Can't argue with you on Burton Baton, it is quite tasty (though not really an IPA).

You should take your own opinion.  I like Dogfish head Namaste a lot better than 90 minute ipa.  Yet it is rated much lower.   I also really love  Raison D'Être  which doesn't get very good ratings.  I also love Burton Baton which does get great ratings. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2354 on: April 10, 2013, 11:35:36 am »
It isn't like wine ratings which are done by one organization. 

oh look... a.front is wrong again.

there isn't one wine rating organization.  the most widely referenced ratings are those from Wine Spectator, Wine Enthusiast and Wine Advocate.  these are magazines/websites.  they will each rate a wine differently.
<sig>