Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182177 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6075 on: December 01, 2015, 05:15:37 pm »
Sehkraft Brewing in Arlington opened this weekend...
Apparently they are not even serving their own beer yet...5 10 barrel tanks
and it's being opened by the Westover market guys, so they know beer
slack

« Reply #6076 on: December 03, 2015, 11:05:17 am »
ok for you runners who like to drink beer (whilst running)
I've the race for you http://www.beermile.com/
Four Beers, Four Laps

amazingly some guy did it in 4:47!
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6077 on: December 03, 2015, 11:13:19 am »
and it's being opened by the Westover market guys, so they know how to seriously overcharge for beer

fixed that for ya

« Reply #6078 on: December 03, 2015, 11:15:20 am »
and it's being opened by the Westover market guys, so they know how to seriously overcharge for beer

fixed that for ya
true....pricing is a bit much there
but the draft pricing and selection has always been good
tough to be a small business in Arlington competing with Whole Foods/Total Wine
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6079 on: December 03, 2015, 11:24:40 am »
ok for you runners who like to drink beer (whilst running)
I've the race for you http://www.beermile.com/
Four Beers, Four Laps

amazingly some guy did it in 4:47!

like hockey, this event is traditionally dominated by canadians ;D

i can't imagine running a mile under 5 mins, let alone chugging 4 beers in that time.  
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #6080 on: December 03, 2015, 11:25:52 am »
those westover guys.. i'm glad they're doing well cause its a cool place to go in the hood.... particularly when its warmer.... good beers..great vibe.. live music the kids like

but their prices leave a little to be desired at the grocery store... I don't mind their beer garden prices..

the young guy who sort of runs the place for his parents does have a bit of a "too cool for school" vibe.. I've heard this from other people .. one guy said he wanted to beat the shit out of him...

Yada

« Reply #6081 on: December 04, 2015, 10:30:56 am »
Had the pale ale from 7 Locks Brewing last night and it tasted like a watered down Yuengling. Other than the Fat Tire I had on a plane last week, one of the worst beers I've had in a long while.

Space Freely

« Reply #6082 on: December 04, 2015, 10:38:23 am »
those westover guys.. i'm glad they're doing well cause its a cool place to go in the hood.... particularly when its warmer.... good beers..great vibe.. live music the kids like

but their prices leave a little to be desired at the grocery store... I don't mind their beer garden prices..

the young guy who sort of runs the place for his parents does have a bit of a "too cool for school" vibe.. I've heard this from other people .. one guy said he wanted to beat the shit out of him...

Geez, Hutch, what kind of  tough guy crowd are you hanging with where people want to "beat the shit out of" somebody?

I've been to Westover once. The store section reminded me of what I imagine the inside of your house to look like. Small and cluttered with long forgotten bottles of IPA with faded, overpriced stickers on them. Of course, in the case of your house, substitute "record sleeves" for "bottles" and "LP" for "IPA".  ;D

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6083 on: December 04, 2015, 10:46:44 am »
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #6084 on: December 04, 2015, 11:52:32 am »
Great video, makes Shaun Hill seem pretty normal!

https://vimeo.com/146428555

« Reply #6085 on: December 04, 2015, 12:31:37 pm »
I would like to commend Mr. Ford's braveness in this time of fear to start this thread
slack

« Reply #6086 on: December 04, 2015, 12:31:54 pm »
Expect big things in local beer in 2016. The year will bring long-awaited openings including Lake Anne Brew House in Reston and Red Dragon Brewery in Fredericksburg. Other breweries are expanding and celebrating anniversaries. Here?s what you need to know in the latest installment of NoVA beer news.

Lake Anne Brew House opening January 2016 in Reston

Jason Romano is a month away from turning his 20-year hobby of home brewing into a bona fide business. He and his wife, Melissa Romano, will open Lake Anne Brew House in Reston next month (11424 Washington Plaza W.). ?There?s been a lot of experimenting at home trying to decide which beers to open up with,? Melissa Romano says.

The taproom will have 10 taps, about half of which will be reserved for the brewery?s flagship beers like Reston Red, Live-Work-Play IPA and Quayside Stout. The others will pour seasonal and experimental beers. ?Jason is a traditionalist when it comes to brewing,? Melissa Romano says. ?Good quality is his prime target, having gone through the beer judge certification process; he?s very in tune to what?s right and what?s not against a style standard.?

While Jason brews the beer, Melissa has been using her design background to create an eye-catching taproom. ?We?re laying the taproom out in a mid-century modern style and really paying homage to Lake Anne and the brutalist architecture of the original plaza,? she says. She?s also incorporating work by local artists. They hope to be open by the first of the year.

Adroit Theory Brewing Company expands in Purcellville

Adroit Theory is growing and getting a makeover come January. Owner Mark Osborne shares that the Purcellville brewery is taking over the front area of their building, providing easier access for customers, additional parking and more. ?We intend on building a new tasting room bar with considerably more seating and lounge areas,? he says. The expansion also means more beer. ?This move will allow us to have up to 37 drafts, and we can separate the styles to fit the space. For instance, lower gravity beers on the front bar, and higher gravity/barrel-aged beers on the rear bar.? He adds that this spring, the brewery will launch a line of low alcohol beers, a major suds trend going into 2016.

Sehkraft Brewing Beer Garden
Sehkraft Brewing now open in Arlington

Sehkraft Brewing, a brewpub from team behind the Westover Market, is now open in Arlington ( 925 N Garfield St., Suite A). The expansive space includes an outdoor beer garden complete with picnic tables and fire pits giving it a Munich feel. This is appropriate given Sehkraft is a German word that loosely translates to ?vision.? The indoor brewpub is large and includes a retail market where customers can fill up growlers of beer and bring home fresh cuts of meat from a butcher. Of Sehkraft?s 40 taps, 10 will be dedicated to pouring the brewpub?s five beers made on-site by head brewer John Peters. Much like Westover Market, the beer lineup could change daily, and Peters plans to work in some collaborations with other small local breweries. The food menu includes an arsenal of local cheese, burgers, sandwiches and salads. Visit Tuesday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to close and Mondays from 4 p.m. to close. They aim to launch weekend brunch in a couple weeks.

Port City Brewing Company marks five years

February marks Port City Brewing Company?s fifth anniversary. The Alexandria-based company and 2015 Great American Beer Festival ?Small Brewery of the Year? winner will mark the occasion with an anniversary beer called Colossal 5. It will be a British-style old ale brewed with heritage malts and aged at least partially in oak. Marketing and events manager Chris Van Orden says to expect ?dark mahogany with ruby highlights, with toffee and dried fruit flavor and enough hops to balance the rich, complex grain bill.? He continues, ?This beer style was designed for cellaring, so Colossal 5 will be the first of Port City?s anniversary beers to be put into bottles, enabling customers to age it over a period of months or years.? Stay tuned for updates from the brewery on social media to learn about anniversary events, including the Colossal 5 release party.

Red Dragon Brewery rolls on in Fredericksburg

Downtown Fredericksburg will soon get a dose of Wales when Red Dragon Brewery opens in June 2016. ?The red dragon is the symbol of Wales and is reflected on their national flag,? says co-founder and brewer Thomas Evans. ?We represent our ancestry and the pride we have in all our Celtic backgrounds, and the pub décor will reflect and embrace that as well.? The project from Evans and his partner, Daniel Baker, has been almost five years in the making. The zoning permits were approved in November, and the team continues to roll toward opening at 1419 Princess Anne St. Beer highlights will include a stout, a Belgium blonde, a peat-smoked porter aged in bourbon barrels and a red ale call Road Rash Red created for the local cycling team, Bike Works Racing. ?I specialize in English-style ales, so we will have plenty of those to include a bitter, old ale and some wonderful pale ales,? Evans says. The taproom will have an English pub feel and should fit 75-100 seats if all goes according to plan
slack

Yada

« Reply #6087 on: December 04, 2015, 12:39:46 pm »
Just think if all of these local beers actually put out KILLER beer, every single one of them and they priced them accordingly to James Ford's liking, every major city could essentially drive out inbev!!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6088 on: December 04, 2015, 02:13:24 pm »
Had the pale ale from 7 Locks Brewing last night and it tasted like a watered down Yuengling. Other than the Fat Tire I had on a plane last week, one of the worst beers I've had in a long while.

not too surprising.  some homebrewers i know went there last night, and said the beers were clean, well brewed... and boring.  as i mentioned previously, 7 Locks is not going after the beer nerd.

Just think if all of these local beers actually put out KILLER beer, every single one of them and they priced them accordingly to James Ford's liking, every major city could essentially drive out inbev!!!

"killer beer" is subjective.  the brett-spiked bourbon-barrel aged belgian hop bombs that beer nerds crave will scare away the majority of beer drinkers.  the stuff that the majority of beer drinkers will like will be boring for the nerds.  and BMC will never disappear, some folks genuinely like the stuff.  it's a much smaller proportion of the population then what currently drinks it, but some people genuinely want low-taste & low-cost lager.
<sig>

« Reply #6089 on: December 04, 2015, 02:57:13 pm »
most people genuinely want low-taste & low-cost lager.
FTFY
slack